Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back for support - nearly 7 years sleeved!

Hello all,

I haven't been around for a long ole time and thought I would drop by.

My sleeve will be 7 years old in July. Over the last year, I - like so many others it would appear - have started to regain; it is 14lbs at the moment. I can honestly say it isn't by eating crap food all day everyday. My diet is 85% clean and 15% rubbish. After being sleeved I turned into a food 'snob' and still don't eat a lot of processed foods and junk. Obviously I am not perfect either! One thing that has really changed though is my exercise habits. I went from being really active and strong to not doing a lot. The only real exercise I do now is walking, which as much as I enjoy, doesn't make me sweat and ache like the other types of exercise I used to do. I need to work on this.

Another area of my life that has changed in the last 18mths is work - I am a teacher and my work load has increased (with a small promotion). I work between 10-16 hrs a day weekdays and sometimes on a Sunday. I refuse to work on a Saturday! So this has really impacted on my free time and also my stress levels. I also have had a lot of stress in my home life, which I feel is lessening a little now. However, I feel totally exhausted 90% of the time. I have been to the docs and am getting my bloods tested for cortisol and thyroid next week.

I am finding it really hard to juggle work, home life, the house, caring for elderly parents and then finding the energy and motivation to move faster than a walk! Does anyone else feel like this? How do I overcome it?

I have tried to lose the regain - trying all sorts of different methods (low carb, 5:2, 16:8, low sugar etc) - over the last 4 mths but no joy. The only thing I haven't tried is the pouch reset, which I am contemplating, I have noticed that I can eat more these days, if I chose to, so I am mindful of that and I still use a small plate to control my portions.

If you have done the pouch reset, what was your experience?

One thing I have been thinking about is being resleeved - if I could ever afford it (I was self pay as I am in the UK). Has anyone had this done? What are the results? Is it worth the money.

I feel that I am at a weird cross roads... at 46 I am 'ok' with me. But I know I could be fitter and stronger. What I worry about is regaining all the weight that I have lost.

Any thoughts are welcome!

I forgot to mention the menopause... been in it for nearly 8 years and the symptoms haven't gotten any better. Tried a load of HRT and nothing agreed with me. I often wonder if that has effected my slow weight loss, lengthy stalls and now the regain? My doc says not, but I am not so sure, especially as the weight seems to have gone back on the middle section! *sighs*

Coops it's so common to regain about that much after 5 years post op. I had gained 15 lbs but I had emergency back surgery and i was in the hospital and a rehab center for a long time. The food was awful and I lost 20 lbs. There were days I didn't eat anything at all.

Edited by Oregondaisy

22 hours ago, Oregondaisy said:

Coops it's so common to regain about that much after 5 years post op. I had gained 15 lbs but I had emergency back surgery and i was in the hospital and a rehab center for a long time. The food was awful and I lost 20 lbs. There were days I didn't eat anything at all.

Hey! Long time no see... I hope you are fully recovered from the back op. I remember you saying ages ago that you had regained - horrible way to get rid of the regain though. Do you still do the 5:2? Let me know how you're doing x

I am soooo disappointed by the regain because although 10lbs doesn't sound a lot at 5 2 it has put me up a clothes size and I look chunky again. Don't like it at all.

This week I have gone back to a liquid/soft food diet similar to post op... my portions are larger than post op as my sleeve is now mature. So far, I have not lost an ounce - clearly I am disappointed by this as I would of liked to see the scale move, if only a little. I will continue with it for another day; I originally give myself a 5 day target and will see that through. Although, I have not seen a loss (yet - I remain hopeful as I am defo in calorie deficit) I have learnt things about my eating habits. Firstly, I don't 'need' to eat just because it is lunch time, dinner time etc. Just having liquids through the day has been a real reminder that my hunger is not 'real' per se. I have realised that a lot of the time it is head hunger. The other thing I have learnt is that I have not been drinking enough Water and I have increased this over the last week. I eat half a bowl of porridge in the evening and I can't finish the portion I give myself, which isn't a large portion! This is a good thing and has made me realise that I have been testing my sleeve and, on occasion, over eating for its capacity. I have also began to understand that I don't 'need' the food I thought I did for my body and mind to function. I am still working long hours without huge fatigue from a lack of food that I thought I would have. I am tired, beyond tired most days, but this is because I am working 10-16 hours week days and also working at least one day on the weekend.

I haven't managed to do any form of work out, however, I do at least 10,000 steps a day, average this week is 12,000. I do realise that I need to do more but with my work load so high at the moment I am fighting time.

Basically, with or without weight loss this has been a positive week for me as I feel I am re learning eating habits that I gained post op. Hopefully I will see a loss soon!

I have been hungrier than usual. I never had hunger pangs since surgery but I do get them now. I never know what to eat. Nothings sounds good.

I haven't had a Protein Shake since I got home from the hospital but I think I'm going to try to do a few days of mainly shakes. I am starting to gain again.

I can't exercise at all. I see the surgeon this week. I can't wait to see the xrays. I want to know what's going on. I had a hole in my back because when I fell I broke L3 and it was just in crumbled up pieces so they had to take it out.

Hang in there. I know exactly what it feels like to not have your clothes fit.

Just a quick update... I completed my 5 day liquid/soft food and felt it went well. My hubby joined me and he was also surprised at how he 'functioned' on it - including 3 training sessions.

The results, for me, weren't what I wanted on the scale... I lost half a pound! I was really disappointed. Hubby on the other had lost 10lb. Hmmm, that just isn't fair...lol! But, as I have said before, I will keep on keeping on!

Then, on Saturday whilst walking the dog, I tripped on his lead and landed on my right knee cap. Wow! The pain was incredible and made me feel sick. Needless to say, I am now hobbling along using crutches - luckily there is nothing broken or fractured so it is just a case of rest and letting the swelling and bruising go down. Not great for activity levels though!

So the weight loss isn't going great... in fact, I have put on another two pounds... this is a bit annoying as it doesn't reflect my eating habits. I haven't been 'perfect' but I also haven't been over eating and binging on junk food either! But hey-ho!

I have just joined my local gym, so I am going to try a few different classes and see which ones I like the most. Did my induction yesterday and enjoyed going on the treadmill again and getting a sweat on. Perhaps, I just need to move more and increase the quality of exercise - perhaps just walking isn't enough?

Anyway, I will let you know.

If anyone has any handy hints, please share... cheers!

Coops, you know I have had regain and in my case it is down to what I drink (it's not Protein drinks!). Along with a drink we also seem to get out the crisps (chips) and the chocolate. So any evening where we share a bottle of wine we are consuming hundreds of calories and not one bit of goodness in any of them. Is it possible that uncounted calories are creeping in with alcohol or Snacks that accompany it?

I am trying by not drinking in the house and as we don't go out too much to the pub it has been cut down.

Hiya Cathy... I don't drink in the house! I do however, enjoy milky coffee/latte -so perhaps this is the problem? Hidden calories in liquid form right there! Thanks for the heads up!

I went to a class call Pump fusion - it is weights with music! I have to be honest, it was great and I enjoyed it - I've already booked for next week. At the beginning of the year, I went to a yoga class... this gym (a local leisure centre) also do yoga and Pilates, so they are on my list to try too!

It's amazing how the extra calories creep in without use realising.

Good for you for getting on with exercise. I know I need to do this regularly but I'm not[emoji853].

Hoping that it's because you're building muscle and having some hormone fluctuations before you see a couple pound drop.
Good job finding movement that you like and will hopefully bring you joy.

Hey everyone! Good to see some old timers here :)

I have also suffered some regain. I'm up 20 pounds (or a little more) from my average of three years. It just packed on over a couple of holidays, (5 pounds here, then another 3, and so on) but I can never seem to get if off. So frustrating! It doesn't seem to matter what I do, what I eat, it just won't come off.

I find myself getting frustrated and not watching what I eat because I feel like its a losing battle. I'm also a stress eater, and boy, do have stress! Hi pressure job and husband with early onset dementia (in mid to late stage). So, between all of that and a body that just wants to be fat, it is an uphill battle. Even with surgery, I was always one who had to count every calorie. The only way I ever lost was to eat around 900 calories a day, and I guess that's what it still takes but I have a hard time sticking to that.

So, thanks for listening. I've gotten back on track and hope I can continue to be successful. While I'm not sure how much weight I might lose, at least it can prevent more gain! I'm considering converting to a gastric bypass, but I really hate to. Has anyone done that, or considered it?

Nice to see you are still around MC !
20 lbs is not a lot compared to where we started. It is all relative.
Your sensibly advice is missed. You are also a true veteran!!

Wow, coops and UK Cathy and MichiganChic - like a tiny reunion!

I saw this and had to say hello. Sorry to hear about the regain struggles. I think over the years (I'm coming up on 7) we've all gone up or down a bit. It's whether or not we let it slide into 50, 60, back to where we started. We don't. It's times of stress that get me, like when my father passed years back. I put on 20. Took a bit to take it off. No exercise, I'm still rotten on that, kudos to you that do it, you're better than me.

I'm actually quite small now. Partly due to medication. It's odd, what becomes normal. Just being a little person and people assuming you've always been that way. I had my gallbladder out earlier this year. My husband retired after 23 years in the military. That about sums up my eventful life. :)

Hope you're all well. You were a great support early on, truly.

Cheri