Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve surgery in May, 2016. I've now lost 164lbs and am finding it is very painful to sit, even long enough for a meal in a restaurant. Unfortunately, I was nearly immobile prior to surgery so I am not yet strong enough to not sit much of the time. My tailbone is sore most of the time and I'm finding it is painfully difficult to even ride a recumbent bicycle. Does anyone else have tailbone pain? Any suggestions?

I just came from Asia and had to sit through a 15 hour plane ride. In the last couple of months, I have noticed this dilemma and have reached the conclusion that all the fat gone has exposed the bones to whatever surface we are gracing with our butts. Getting used to it is going to take time, I suppose.

I had this problem after dropping over 100 pounds about ten years ago. Went from 230-118. My doctor had no answers- it was a nightmare! She said something about it being broken and then having it removed, so I never went back. (She lost her medical license shortly after).
The pain went away when I gained weight. From what little research I've done, it seems to be linked to changing posture after dropping weight. This time, I will see my physical therapist before it gets out of hand like last time.
I hope you feel better!

I have lost 102 pounds since 8/31/2016 and I am having the same issue...although not as bad as yours. I have to sit on top of several blankets when I sit on my couch or in my recliner when I watch tv. It doesn't bother me to sit in my chair at work, but at home, it really sucks. I watched "Skin Tight" the other day and there was a lady on there that had lost a bunch of weight and her tailbone was sticking too far out and caused her a lot of pain. She ended up having her tailbone removed! I wish I had some suggestions, but I am at a loss on what to do myself.

Apparently removal is a legitimate fix for severe cases.

Perhaps try concentrating on glute exercises. If the muscles get larger, they may provide some buffer.

This is the story of my life... I'm Asian and no matter how fat I get I still have a flat butt. Sitting always hurts me... I give myself bruises if I sit on anything hard for too long....

I hope you find a fix [emoji4]🤞🏼

2 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Apparently removal is a legitimate fix for severe cases.

Perhaps try concentrating on glute exercises. If the muscles get larger, they may provide some buffer.

I was going to say the same. Maybe bulking up the muscle back there will provide a new "pillow" ;)

It sounds horribly painful.

So odd. I just had the sleeve on 4/5 and have lost 20 pounds since pre op. In the past few days, if I sit in one place too long my tailbone throbs. I've never had that problem.

I too have been having tailbone pain. Figured I'd just get used to it after a while. I'm down 158 pounds and have no butt at all. Trying to focus some gym time to bulk up back there but it is very slow going.

I'm three weeks out and I had this problem right away. It would hurt getting into bed and sometimes just lying on my back. My suspicion was that it came from usually sleeping on my side.

It's still a bit tender, but since I've been able to walk more, the pain has lessened.

Certainly interesting in reading these stories because I was wondering what was going on with me now that I am 45 days out . In the same club now also by tailbone pain after short period . Great problem to have with weight loss but still a learning curve for all

I had this issue. We have a thread about it here somewhere with illustrations

Basically you sit one way when you are overweight to support your weight. Overweight people slouch even when you don't think you, you are to support your weight.

When you lose weight you have to change how you sit. It is a process. I still have to be mindful of how I sit to make sure I am doing it right or I will hurt later.

I had this issue. We have a thread about it here somewhere with illustrations
Basically you sit one way when you are overweight to support your weight. Overweight people slouch even when you don't think you, you are to support your weight.
When you lose weight you have to change how you sit. It is a process. I still have to be mindful of how I sit to make sure I am doing it right or I will hurt later.

Thank you all for sharing your tailbone story! Mine is tender too! Now I know why! Thanks girls[emoji3]

You can always buy a donut to sit on. It'll help alleviate the pain and take pressure off the tailbone.