Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have to exercise up to 2hrs and 15mins or equivalent it to 5000 steps everyday to be cleared by your psych?

I'm a Psychotherapist and just recently I was asked to clear one of my patients for WLS. My only focus was on this patient's mental health and whether I felt this patient would be able to follow a strict plan. For me to comment on a patient's "exercise" would be completely out of my scope of practice - that is the law! I don't know of any Psychotherapists or Psychologists that also has extensive training in exercise physiology and how it affects the body. Although I suppose it's possible.

I would have a discussion with your physician and ask about the excessive exercise that's being required from your Psychologist.

AND let me add... I'm not saying there shouldn't be any exercise as that's not for me, as a psychotherapist, to comment on. My focus is on the brain. I would think that the Physical Therapist is the qualified person to comment on the persons ability to exercise.

Edited by ShelbyMoore

My appointment with the psychologist was yesterday. He began by making sure I was aware of the details of the surgery and what is expected of me before and after. Then he asked about my childhood and my relationship with my parents. I then had 371 questions to answer. My favorite was (did I ever want to be a singer or park ranger. )LOL. Of course, everyone wants to be a singer. Other questions was( did I ever hear voices or see people that were not there.) Not anything about exercise.

On 4/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, Greensleevie said:

So.....your chances of keeping the weight off is better with regular movement/exercise.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Actually, you said you WON'T keep it off. Which isn't necessarily true and is why I replied with a more complete run down of what exercise will and won't do.

Its not a personal thing.

Not a word about exercise, she was the psychologist for the bariatric program. All she said is that I have to show that I can lose some weight before the surgery. We never even discussed exercizee

Not a word about exercise, she was the psychologist for the bariatric program. All she said is that I have to show that I can lose some weight before the surgery. We never even discussed exercizee

Since joining the bariatric program I've been losing weight...I know 17lbs isn't a lot, at least I'm trying. For me there was no discussion about trying to lose weight the main focus was me complying with eating 45-65g of Protein and keeping a food log, sleep apnea, and doing the 5000 steps.

My appointment with the psychologist was yesterday. He began by making sure I was aware of the details of the surgery and what is expected of me before and after. Then he asked about my childhood and my relationship with my parents. I then had 371 questions to answer. My favorite was (did I ever want to be a singer or park ranger. )LOL. Of course, everyone wants to be a singer. Other questions was( did I ever hear voices or see people that were not there.) Not anything about exercise.

I had to answer a ton of questions also and my psychologist said that I passed, and that I am mentally ready to make a change. But the steps is getting me lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

On 4/13/2017 at 8:47 PM, Tiale said:

It's really pissing me off because I got cleared by both dietician and bariatrician, I just needed the ok from the psychologist. Ever since I started the program I haven't gained a pound and have lost every visit. I've increased my activity by a great deal yet, it feels like she makes it seem as if it's no effort. I exercise for 45mins and I'm very independent, so I clean, cook, etc. while standing. Anyways she's saying that ppl who get the surgery are encouraged to exercise up to 2hrs and 1/2....Has anyone else been told this?

My Psychologist told me that it is her job to make sure that I am competent enough to understand about the surgery and the new diet that I will be living on. She also said that there are some who milk the job of evaluating you for the money. My cousin had a Psychologist that made her do a two hour computer questionnaire before he even spoke with her. She had three days that she had to meet with him. I went to the same place had a different Psychologist and was there 20-25 minutes in which she had enough time to approve me.

1 minute ago, Bj49 said:

My Psychologist told me that it is her job to make sure that I am competent enough to understand about the surgery and the new diet that I will be living on. She also said that there are some who milk the job of evaluating you for the money. My cousin had a Psychologist that made her do a two hour computer questionnaire before he even spoke with her. She had three days that she had to meet with him. I went to the same place had a different Psychologist and was there 20-25 minutes in which she had enough time to approve me.

But keep in mind that you have disorders like depression, or eating orders, etc., then it may be more intense. This was the first time I had ever seen a psychologist.

But keep in mind that you have disorders like depression, or eating orders, etc., then it may be more intense. This was the first time I had ever seen a psychologist.

I have suffered with depression/self harm and it's really weird! People would think that after my accident I would jump right back into it. But honestly I feel that my accident is a blessing in disguise. I wasn't able to live my life, due to family issues. Once I got injured, it opened up my eyes and made me hungry to live my life. That's why I'm striving to better my health. I was a passive person that was taken advantaged of, and now I'm more assertive and stand up for myself....lol I'm just loving life. It's just I feel the psych needs to be realistic. I passed her psych eval, and is continually losing weight, so what is the hold up.

Hi, have you tried a Fitbit? You may be surprised to find that you already walk 5000 steps per day. When I want to do a total of 10,000 I go to the track and walk 30-45 min. It is very motivating to have the Fitbit, just parking further away from the building really boosts the number of steps. Some times just walking over to a co-workers desk instead of sending an email, those little things add up.