Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great article, Dr. Long! I have sent a friend request and messaged you asking to be added to the group.

I'm going to be honest: some of the language in this article is concerning to me. For me, one of the biggest issues was trust. Having someone that looked like you sitting across from me, my immediate reaction would have been, "How would she have any clue what I've been through, what I'm dealing with, what it's like to be 320lbs." It would be hard for me to trust you, and the first thing I would do is ask if you've ever been in my shoes.

Then, when I read something like, "a barrage of excuses..." that language doesn't read as compassionate to me. Add to that the subject header of this entire thread and it feels more like mockery than someone that I would want to extend my trust to, and reach out for the tools to deal with something so deeply personal and often times mortifying.

I'm sorry that I can't just go with the crowd on this one, but this left a taste in my mouth worse than Cheetos and chicken...

10 minutes ago, Diva Taunia said:

I'm going to be honest: some of the language in this article is concerning to me. For me, one of the biggest issues was trust. Having someone that looked like you sitting across from me, my immediate reaction would have been, "How would she have any clue what I've been through, what I'm dealing with, what it's like to be 320lbs." It would be hard for me to trust you, and the first thing I would do is ask if you've ever been in my shoes.

Then, when I read something like, "a barrage of excuses..." that language doesn't read as compassionate to me. Add to that the subject header of this entire thread and it feels more like mockery than someone that I would want to extend my trust to, and reach out for the tools to deal with something so deeply personal and often times mortifying.

I'm sorry that I can't just go with the crowd on this one, but this left a taste in my mouth worse than Cheetos and chicken...

While everyone deserves some compassion, a lot of people on this site (and not only on this site) need a stiff dose of reality to save their life. I am so grateful to my parents and my brother for getting all up in my face during Thanksgiving 2015. I weighed 400 pounds and I HAD TO MAKE A CHANGE. And you know what, today I weigh under 200 pounds. My labs are perfect. I am almost at my goal at 8 months out. So, yes, I am a huge advocate of telling it like it is.

To each his or her own...

12 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

While everyone deserves some compassion, a lot of people on this site (and not only on this site) need a stiff dose of reality to save their life. I am so grateful to my parents and my brother for getting all up in my face during Thanksgiving 2015. I weighed 400 pounds and I HAD TO MAKE A CHANGE. And you know what, today I weigh under 200 pounds. My labs are perfect. I am almost at my goal at 8 months out. So, yes, I am a huge advocate of telling it like it is.

To each his or her own...

But you're talking about two entirely different situations: a frank and honest conversation with your family members/loved ones and a licensed mental health professional writing an article addressing the community she works with about the people she works for.

13 minutes ago, Diva Taunia said:

But you're talking about two entirely different situations: a frank and honest conversation with your family members/loved ones and a licensed mental health professional writing an article addressing the community she works with about the people she works for.

As I said -- to each his/her own. I liked her article. Maybe one less person will be a cheetos lady (or gentleman).

2 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

As I said -- to each his/her own. I liked her article. Maybe one less person will be a cheetos lady (or gentleman).

And I didn't, which is why I wrote my response to her original post. Maybe she'll be more mindful and perhaps more helpful in the way she approaches the many numerous people she works with in the future because she didn't call them "The Cheetos Lady."

I need to save this and read it every day. Wonderful article. Thanks. I am that emotional eater🤦🏼‍♀️