Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, a few things have occurred over the last few days. My dad passed away in a terrible motorcycle accident and his wife, my step mom, is in critical condition. Alongside of dealing with the pain of losing my father, my hero, (I am 23, he was not supposed to leave me this soon) and dealing with attorneys for his estate and lawsuit, i am in the middle of my pre op diet and going through the motions and I am losing my insurance. My mom is putting me on hers, but I don't think it covers bariatric surgery.

I don't want to be selfish in thinking about this at a time like this but I have appointments coming up that I'm trying to get with my patient advocate about to see if I should go to them.

I am just wondering if I should keep going or if I should step back and just take the plunge and go to Mexico. I almost made the decision to go to Mexico before but decided to start the program I'm in now. What is every ones experience with mexico? Is it sketchy? Scary? Way more expensive and not worth it? I did a lot of research on it before and every thing seemed legit but I am still a little bit not convinced. Can anyone offer me some insight on this?

So sorry for all of the chaos in your life and the loss of your dad.

As for going to Mexico for surgery, I've done it twice. The first time was back in 2005 to get my LapBand, and the second was nearly two weeks ago to get it converted to the VSG. Both times, Dr. Pedro Kuri was my surgeon. My wife also used Dr. Kuri for her band back in 2006.

Dr. Kuri has an excellent team around him from Carlos, the driver who picks you up at and takes you back to the San Diego airport, Dr. Peterson who gives you your pre-op physical, Joann (patient coordinator and source of information before and after your procedure), and the doctors who fill out his team. All top notch! The only complicating factor is that the hospital he uses doesn't have staff who all speak English. The two years of Spanish I had in high school nearly 30 years ago only goes so far, know what I mean? I made good use of Google Translate on my phone and it got me through a couple of spots.

Otherwise, it's $5,500 for the VSG plus any travel expenses you incur in getting to him.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions regarding my experience with Dr. Kuri. Just ask.

So, a few things have occurred over the last few days. My dad passed away in a terrible motorcycle accident and his wife, my step mom, is in critical condition. Alongside of dealing with the pain of losing my father, my hero, (I am 23, he was not supposed to leave me this soon) and dealing with attorneys for his estate and lawsuit, i am in the middle of my pre op diet and going through the motions and I am losing my insurance. My mom is putting me on hers, but I don't think it covers bariatric surgery.
I don't want to be selfish in thinking about this at a time like this but I have appointments coming up that I'm trying to get with my patient advocate about to see if I should go to them.
I am just wondering if I should keep going or if I should step back and just take the plunge and go to Mexico. I almost made the decision to go to Mexico before but decided to start the program I'm in now. What is every ones experience with mexico? Is it sketchy? Scary? Way more expensive and not worth it? I did a lot of research on it before and every thing seemed legit but I am still a little bit not convinced. Can anyone offer me some insight on this?

I don't have any info on Mexico, but just wanted to let you know I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. [emoji173]

So sorry for all of the chaos in your life and the loss of your dad.
As for going to Mexico for surgery, I've done it twice. The first time was back in 2005 to get my LapBand, and the second was nearly two weeks ago to get it converted to the VSG. Both times, Dr. Pedro Kuri was my surgeon. My wife also used Dr. Kuri for her band back in 2006.
Dr. Kuri has an excellent team around him from Carlos, the driver who picks you up at and takes you back to the San Diego airport, Dr. Peterson who gives you your pre-op physical, Joann (patient coordinator and source of information before and after your procedure), and the doctors who fill out his team. All top notch! The only complicating factor is that the hospital he uses doesn't have staff who all speak English. The two years of Spanish I had in high school nearly 30 years ago only goes so far, know what I mean? I made good use of Google Translate on my phone and it got me through a couple of spots.
Otherwise, it's $5,500 for the VSG plus any travel expenses you incur in getting to him.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions regarding my experience with Dr. Kuri. Just ask.

So after you got surgery, what kind of check ups have you had? I am worried about having any complications and not having yearly check ups in regards to the surgery itself

Honestly, I've not heard of anyone having yearly checkups for the surgery itself. I think it's pretty much, once it's healed, you're good to go. Everything else should fall under general gastrointestinal functionality and be treated by a GI doctor. I'm not a doctor and I'm not far enough along in the process to speak factually about this, but I've never heard about check-ups. I've got a friend in Michigan who was sleeved a year and a half ago and hasn't had a checkup since.

As for complications, I didn't have any (so far) with either of my surgeries, but that's where the patient coordinator comes into play. You've also got a ready connection to Dr. Kuri through her. Their complication rate is pretty low, at least as far as I've heard.

I recently heard about a "medical complications" insurance policy for those who do medical tourism. It'll reimburse you for complications encountered if you choose this route. Don't think it's very expensive either. I didn't use it; I heard about it within the past few days...after my surgery.

I'd really encourage you to contact Dr. Kuri and his staff via a web request at https://www.lapbandsurgery.com/. Joann will likely be the person to contact you. She's had the band for many years now so she can speak from firsthand experience.

Edited by Paul Bahr

I am having surgery in Mexico on Tuesday and I will let you know how it goes. I am so very sorry to hear of your heartbreaking loss. No one should lose a parent so young.

So sorry for your loss hun and my condolences to you and your family. I am concerned for you though. After surgery your mood can drop really low at times possibly leading to depression for many, maybe even severe depression in your case, understandably. I know I don't know you personally and everyone is different but I would completely take it into consideration if I were you. But, I wish you the best of luck on whatever you may decide to do (Waiting or Going for it) Good luck ! :)

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

My condolences to you and your family.

I know of a person that went to Tijuana to get the VSG. She's super-ok and paid less than $6,000.

I just had the VSG done last week but in Bakersfield, CA but my insurance covered it. The price difference is night and day. Not sure about the procedure and equipment used but she is very satisfied and happy she went [emoji4]

Edit: I clicked the word Tijuana and seen their facility. It's beautiful and looks to be state of the art :)

If you have the funds, Dr. Illan did an excellent job with me almost 4 weeks ago. No worries or problems. (Around $4600 + plane tickets, passport, tips, souveniers, etc.).

I recommend putting off the surgery until the end of summer to give yourself time to grieve, and get your stepMom on the road to recovery.

Dr. Illan schedules about 6 weeks out.. just enough time to get your plane tickets, passport, preop diet, etc. all in order. (Passports can take at least 6 weeks to arrive, so plan ahead on that one).

[Hugs], I'm sorry for your loss.

I forgot to add.. as far as post op care...

1. my primary care doc is taking care of prescriptions, bloodwork, and the like.

2. If there is a bariatric emergency, I have several bariatric hospitals within a 3 hour drive.

3. For a non-emergency bariatric issue, my understanding is Dr. Illan is willing to help... I would just need to fly back there.

4. I also became a patient at a local GI doctor's office for any treatment they can provide.

I recommend everyone that considers going out of the country for surgery to make plans regarding their care once they get back home.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am planning to go to Mexico this fall. I went through the process with one insurance company and then lost my coverage before I could get the surgery done. My new plan doesn't cover the surgery at all.

Just got sleeved Monday 4/10 in TJ Dr Fernando Garcia of Tijuana Bariatrics did my surgery.It was an amazing experience.Everything I had researched and had numerous people use Dr.Garcia said the same that he was the best and I have to agree.Everyone there that used him came out great.My cost was 5k because my BMI was high.The hotel and staff we stayed were great and the drivers were awesome.I HIGHLY. Recommend Tijuana Bariatrics!Please message me with any questions.And I am so sorry for your loss I have daughters and they are my world actually a big reason i got this procedure.I promise you he never wanted to leave you.Be strong go to TJ get yourself right physically then emotionally.

There are a number of highly qualified and capable bariatric surgeons in Tijuana; just do your research and don't make price the #1 criteria. I went there in April and had WLS at Hospital Angeles with Dr. Ramos Kelly. It was a great experience and I'm healing very well. And I can always call or email him for guidance but for the most part my follow up care is with clinicians in my hometown (PCP, GI, ND).

I am so sorry for the loss of your father and injured step-mom. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

So after you got surgery, what kind of check ups have you had? I am worried about having any complications and not having yearly check ups in regards to the surgery itself

I'm going to Dr. Gerardo Garcia Alvarez at Bariatric Mexico in Cabo. I have 8 people who work with my bf who've all gone to this effect same Dr and hospital in the last year.. they literally refer to it as the Beverly hills of Mexico. I'm really looking forward to being treated so well at such an affordable cost. Good luck to you!!#

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app