Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it took me about a year to get everything do to have my surgery and on march 16th 2017 I finally had it I will be a month out come this Thursday and I have been having a rough time from getting sick from Water Gatorade broth to I eat or drink anything and my stomach and thoart ball up in a ball and hurt like hell when anything try and past through it takes me like 4 hours to drink a 16 oz bottle of water I have been back in the hospital for breathing issues now when I walk I hold my breath but I don't realize that I'm doing that till I'm done walking I have leg pains but I'm working through all my issues and even with the issues I still feel like this was the best decision I could have ever made but my one thing that I'm craving o so bad is a salad when have any of you been able to have one

Hey Cynthia. I had RNY on 01/20. So im about to be 3 months and i still havent had salad yet. But i already had my NUT permission to do it. So im gonna try it this week. He said one cup of salad with low fat dressing and Protein. I had trouble getting everything in the first month. But everything got much better on the 2nd month. So hang in there

I'm 4 months out & still have a rad time getting all my Water in. When I was at your stage I didn't want to eat anything!

I took a can of Progressive Veg Beef south & mashed it up & put in cup, I nursed it for about 30 minutes but did get it down. All raspberry tea was good with lots of crushed ice. Cream of Wheat, oatmeal worked for me. Also sugar fat free instant pudding. You need the Protein make sure you get at least 60 grams a day. Instant chocolate pudding mixed with chocolate whey taste really good.

Hang in there it's not easy but does get easier!

I have two different types of Protein Shakes with different flavors and they make me vomit I drink broth it hurts to go down but I deal with the pain my Water and Gatorade hurts to go down and I vomit from those as well I haven't tried oatmeal or cream of wheat so I'll try those but yogurt water Gatorade broth Soup baby food all make me sick

Hey Cynthia. I had RNY on 01/20. So im about to be 3 months and i still havent had salad yet. But i already had my NUT permission to do it. So im gonna try it this week. He said one cup of salad with low fat dressing and Protein. I had trouble getting everything in the first month. But everything got much better on the 2nd month. So hang in there

Gatoraid made me sick also, Dr told me not to drink anything wjith artifical sweetness. That's is what I switched to raspberry tea. Also filled cup with crushed ice & Water. I had 2-3 bouts of dumping, once had to go to emergency.. believe me it does get better! I questioned my decission many times but now everything is settling in & I'm going to gym 3 times a week.

I know you may not want to hear this but it will get easier. Keep trying different things. Keep going slowly. Keep moving forward. It seems like nothing works until you find something that works for you.

Sometimes, adding pepcid chewable helps some people. Taking lactaid made a huge difference for me. Never had problems before but I do need to take it now. Nausea medicine can help too. Drinking things at different temperatures can affect things as well. (Still can't handle liquids too cold.) The sugar free popsicles were wonderful for me.

The first 3 or 4 months were horrible for me. I hope your difficulty passes quickly.
All the best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Eating lettuce became acceptable after week 9 according to my surgeons directions. But go easy on the Salad Dressing - go with dressings that have minimal fat and sugar. Chewing is a natural craving and your desire for salad may be related to that craving.

Some people experience problems in meeting their daily Protein, Vitamin and Fluid requirements. But it sounds like in your case these problems are extreme and there may be an underlying medical condition that needs to be treated as well.

According to the internet:

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So condensing this down general advice (coordinating with your surgical staff) might be to avoid NSAIDs (such as aspirin), use proton pump inhibitors (such as Prilosec) and have yourself tested for Helicobacter pylori infection.