66 posts in this topic

The supervised weight loss physician that I am seeing in preparation has put me on a keto diet. I was very surprised, I was just expecting your standard low fat/low calorie diet. My dad is also following a very low carb diet and has had great results. I intend to stay low carb/keto for the rest of my life.....but I think I still need the surgery.

Great discussion but no one described how to adapt the pre op liquid diet to a keto or very low carb diet. Also the post op diet. I am considering being sleeved but I need to still keep my good fats and very natural healthy diet. What would one drink etc? Thanks.

4 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

Great discussion but no one described how to adapt the pre op liquid diet to a keto or very low carb diet. Also the post op diet. I am considering being sleeved but I need to still keep my good fats and very natural healthy diet. What would one drink etc? Thanks.

What?

On 4/12/2017 at 5:02 AM, Afrikanaaa said:

With Keto and sleeve do you monitor more of your calorie count or focus more on fat & protein/g consumption? Because in reading the Reddit thread, people don't have restrictive stomachs like we do

I am 6 months postop and knew I would go keto as soon as I was 4 weeks postop. There are so many successful vsg'ers on Instagram and youtube who are strict keto. It helps with hunger and inflammation. Check out vsgtanya2011 on youtube. She is 5 years postop now and I can't think of a better example. She started to struggle with regain in August and went keto and she has been a huge success.

My experience has been wonderful so far and I feel great with a high fat intake. I carefully measure everything and record all the calories. It's important that we are still restricting calories for lots of reasons. The higher fat literally burns fat. If you record everything on myfitnesspal it will show your macros on the nutrition button.

I shoot for 70% fat, 25% Protein and 5% carbs (good carbs only) for my macros. I am 2 pounds away from my original goal.

On 4/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I'm a clean keto eater. I almost never make recipes. They are expensive with a lot of replacement products.

My grocery list is

Steak

Pork chops

Bacon

Fish

Sausage

Heavy cream

Cream cheese

Butter

Olive oil

Spinach

Zucchini

coffee

liquid stevita

You seem to have this down! Do you eat any other cheeses besides cream cheese? I am early into the process (had surgery April 24) and cheese is one of the little nibbles I can get down easily when I am really hungry. IT takes the edge off and I don't need much to feel satisfied because it is so flavourful.

thanks and congrats on such success!

I do eat other cheese like cheddar. Provolone, Mexican queso and lots of others.

I just don't buy it often and it always goes bad before I can finish it.