Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

Ok, if you take out the modern Atkins premade foods etc, is the concept the same as the original Atkins diet? It sounds like phase one of the Atkins diet, like permanently though. I don't really intend on doing either....though back in the day I did do Atkins and lost 20lbs when I only needed to lose 30lbs total....ahhh to be young again.....I personally would go crazy if I had to stick to a super restrictive diet forever however I am planning on keeping my carbs in check.

The premise of the Keto diet aligns quite well with "keeping carbs in check". I'm not much into the "high fat" aspect of keto, but I am okay with moderate healthy fats, high Protein, and 0-4g of carbs a serving. Yes, it rules out a lot of the crap I used to eat, but it also depends on the purpose.. for me, it's merely to stay alive and be healthy. One needs very small quantities of carbs for energy, that's all the liver can store and make use of anyways before converting to fatty acids and distributing it. Given my extensive liver damage from garbage foods I'm almost excessively aware of the implications of reversing this course.

18 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

I personally would go crazy if I had to stick to a super restrictive diet forever however I am planning on keeping my carbs in check.

I haven't read the Atkins book in about 15 years so I will look it over this weekend and get back to you. I don't recall Dr Atkins going into the mathematics of what your macros should be and using ratios, just to avoid carbs.

I think the reason it works for me is I don't find it restrictive at all. It is very permissive to me. I get to eat a lot of rich foods, feel great and still lose weight. My brain functions very well off fat. I never ate a lot of the carbs that people like (don't like Pasta, hate popcorn, hate rice, bread was just a vehicle for meat, crackers are a dumb concept), so I don't miss them. I think if I was a carb addict and I felt like I was missing out, I would be miserable. Instead I eat ribs, bacon and all the steak I can handle. That is pretty much heaven for me.

Like this weekend at Easter Brunch, I will have eggs Benedict, minus the English muffin, a slice of ham and a crab cake. That is a feast to me and I am missing out on nothing and eating all the things I love.

6 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I haven't read the Atkins book in about 15 years so I will look it over this weekend and get back to you. I don't recall Dr Atkins going into the mathematics of what your macros should be and using ratios, just to avoid carbs.

I think the reason it works for me is I don't find it restrictive at all. It is very permissive to me. I get to eat a lot of rich foods, feel great and still lose weight. My brain functions very well off fat. I never ate a lot of the carbs that people like (don't like Pasta, hate popcorn, hate rice, bread was just a vehicle for meat, crackers are a dumb concept), so I don't miss them. I think if I was a carb addict and I felt like I was missing out, I would be miserable. Instead I eat ribs, bacon and all the steak I can handle. That is pretty much heaven for me.

Like this weekend at Easter Brunch, I will have eggs Benedict, minus the English muffin, a slice of ham and a crab cake. That is a feast to me and I am missing out on nothing and eating all the things I love.

Pasta was always a big one for me. Not until last year did I ever look at the carbs at pasta.

But then again, my diet overall, in hindsight, was just laden with carbs and crap so not out of the ordinary.

I'm just thankful the body is forgiving.

(Anyone else having an issue with paragraph spacing?)

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Oh God! Can I come over!!!! Lol yummy!

On 4/11/2017 at 8:17 AM, tiffany44641 said:

Just curious has anyone in here tried to lose the weight on the Keto diet first? And lost a lot and didn't have the surgery ?

Woo! Huge shout out to keto here! I did keto for a year and a half and despite not having good results, I cannot speak highly enough of it.

I lost 40lbs in the first 3 months. I suddenly slept better, wasn't getting sick, had more energy and felt amazing. I was never hungry since my body was burning fat instead of carbs, which meant I didn't get hangry anymore. I felt inspired in the kitchen again, learning substitutes for sugar, flour and high carb items. I'd eat a steak with creamed spinach and feel guilty that something so good worked for my diet.

I say I didn't have good results because my body is broken. I did keto under medical supervision and my doctor eventually figured out what was wrong with me and why I couldn't lose more weight. I lost 40lbs in the first 3 months...and nothing else for the following year and a half despite adjusting macros. I kept doing it because I liked how I felt. Eventually, my husband saw my struggle and how miserable I was denying myself pretty much everything with nothing to show for it. I went off of keto and switched to low carb, going from 20g of carbs a day to maybe 80-100 on heavy days. I gained it all back at a ludicrous speed. In 2 months it was all back. It was absolutely devastating.

Still, despite my story, I definitely recommend keto. If you have questions about it or recipe requests, I'm one of the people to ask!

I've lost nearly 80 pounds on a 3 month pre-op effectively on the Keto diet. Not something I'd personally want to do on a permanent basis (some of the underlying rationales behind this diet I will keep, such as very low carbs), but no doubts whatsoever it, like the surgery, has/will be an effective tool for my goal of weight loss. Some of the other benefits I've had during this pre-op diet:

- Stage 3 liver fibrosis: Significant liver improvement on liver function tests and fibroscan showing dramatic shrinking and softening, all liver function tests normal for first time in 1-2 years. I was heading toward cirrhosis (non-alcoholic), now liver is heading toward being healed.

- Type 2 diabetes: hBA1c from 7.9 to 5.7, often times scoring 4.4-4.6 on fasts. I expect my June 1st hBA1c to likely take me off the rest of my diabetes meds. (being taken off 1 of my diabetes meds, Forxiga, immediately on Thursday)

- Spinal injury: L5/S1 compression fracture, significantly more pain relief due to losing weight

- RHR improved from 90-100 to 50-60

- BP improved from 150-170/110-120 to 110-125/70-90, being taken off one BP meds (hydrochlorothiazide) immediately on Thursday

To say the keto diet has been beneficial has been an understatement, especially compared to the crappy RD's demands of liquid pre-op (consisting of just about entirely Glucerna, the crappiest overpriced Meal Replacement drink you'll ever taste) for 3 months.

I've lost nearly 80 pounds on a 3 month pre-op effectively on the Keto diet. Not something I'd personally want to do on a permanent basis (some of the underlying rationales behind this diet I will keep, such as very low carbs), but no doubts whatsoever it, like the surgery, has/will be an effective tool for my goal of weight loss. Some of the other benefits I've had during this pre-op diet:
- Stage 3 liver fibrosis: Significant liver improvement on liver function tests and fibroscan showing dramatic shrinking and softening, all liver function tests normal for first time in 1-2 years. I was heading toward cirrhosis (non-alcoholic), now liver is heading toward being healed.
- Type 2 diabetes: hBA1c from 7.9 to 5.7, often times scoring 4.4-4.6 on fasts. I expect my June 1st hBA1c to likely take me off the rest of my diabetes meds. (being taken off 1 of my diabetes meds, Forxiga, immediately on Thursday)
- Spinal injury: L5/S1 compression fracture, significantly more pain relief due to losing weight
- RHR improved from 90-100 to 50-60
- BP improved from 150-170/110-120 to 110-125/70-90, being taken off one BP meds (hydrochlorothiazide) immediately on Thursday

What meal plan do you follow ?

15 minutes ago, tiffany44641 said:

What meal plan do you follow ?

I don't chart anymore, but the entirety of my diet consisted of:

- Wife making home made meatballs, of lean ground beef, eggs, and almond meal in place of bread crumbs (tbsp of low sodium ketchup), eating no more than 2-3 at a time, 0g carbs

- String cheese (0g carbs)

- Maple Leaf farms chicken nuggets (3 at a time, 8g of carbs, tsp of KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce)

- Burgers with 0-2g sliced block cheese, generally cut up to ~ 1/6 of a pound and eat in small bites with dabs of ketchup (NO BUNS), 0-2g of carbs

- Peanuts and almonds, unsalted, 1/4 cup, 3-5g carbs, mostly nullified from Fiber

- 2-4L of Water a day

- Vitamin supplements (Bariatric Advantage ADEK MV, Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate + vitD chewable tablets.. bottle is fricken huge, Jamieson C+D chewables, Walmart OTC Iron mini tablets)

- At the beginning I estimated it between 1000-1400 cals a day, didn't really change the diet much, stuck to the same regimen every day switching meats between chicken and beef daily.

Post-op after I get to the stage of being able to eat anything (i.e. meats), I plan on sticking to a similar premise of 1000-1400 cals a day, less than 20g carbs a day, 2L+ of water daily, and of course the supplements. I plan on it being a permanent diet, just expanding my diet a little more to include vegetables I can tolerate (hoping my taste buds change). Kinda paranoid about my immediate post-op foods (yogurt drink, unsweetened applesauce, oatmeal, etc., which tend to have more carbs than I'd want) but more than willing to be patient given the importance of healing.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:23 AM, Christina.Rose said:

Is Keto basically a new age name for the Atkins diet? It sounds awfully familiar, high fat low carb, body in ketosis.....

yes

3 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

yes

@christina.rose Actually no! The exact opposite as a matter of fact. Keto has been around since the 20's and was used to help with epilepsy. The diet helped prevent seizures. It lost popularity once drugs were put on the market. It's kind of the ur diet. South Beach, Atkins, 30 day cleanse and all of the others are derived from this diet.

Check out the wikipedia page if you're interested. It's actually fascinating how it went from aiding with seizures to "just a diet".

Just now, jessgnc said:

@christina.rose Actually no! The exact opposite as a matter of fact. Keto has been around since the 20's and was used to help with epilepsy. The diet helped prevent seizures. It lost popularity once drugs were put on the market. It's kind of the ur diet. South Beach, Atkins, 30 day cleanse and all of the others are derived from this diet.

Check out the wikipedia page if you're interested. It's actually fascinating how it went from aiding with seizures to "just a diet".

I beg to differ. It's okay if we disagree. Even if all those other fad diets derived from this one, then it's still another one of the fad diets in my humble opinion.

3 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

I beg to differ. It's okay if we disagree. Even if all those other fad diets derived from this one, then it's still another one of the fad diets in my humble opinion.

We can differ on if it is becoming a fad.

However you can't argue a fact. It came about in the 1920's. It came long before any of those other ones.

I do agree that it is definitely gaining traction as a diet again lately.

I tried the Keto diet in college, and like many others, lost weight rapidly, then gained it back even faster. A girl I follow on Instagram who had the VSG a year before I did (in August of 2015) raved about keto and how it had aided her in losing weight as someone who started out with a low BMI for WLS. My pre-surgery stats and goals were similar to hers. She does still recommend the keto diet, but cautioned that it must be followed diligently, and with a resolve to never stop it. She reached her goal weight in 2015 and maintained it for months, then in 2016 tried keto again to lose a bit more. She lost the weight she wanted, but then gained far more back very quickly when she stopped following it, and was back in the overweight BMI category.

For me, the keto diet just isn't sustainable. It also makes me obsessive about carbs because I feel deprived, and to feel like I'm living to eat instead of the other way around. I've lost and kept the weight off by following a lower-carb, but not low-carb diet. I try to keep it under 80 net carbs a day. I've followed a plan from The Insulin Resistance Diet Plan & Cookbook by Jennifer Koslo. I checked the book out from the library, read it, and then just followed the guidelines. I don't literally follow the menu suggestions for each day. I recommend it, especially for any women with PCOS.

Keto was also used in the early 1900's as a treatment for diabetes,

On 4/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, Clementine Sky said:

I tried the Keto diet in college, and like many others, lost weight rapidly, then gained it back even faster. A girl I follow on Instagram who had the VSG a year before I did (in August of 2015) raved about keto and how it had aided her in losing weight as someone who started out with a low BMI for WLS. My pre-surgery stats and goals were similar to hers. She does still recommend the keto diet, but cautioned that it must be followed diligently, and with a resolve to never stop it. She reached her goal weight in 2015 and maintained it for months, then in 2016 tried keto again to lose a bit more. She lost the weight she wanted, but then gained far more back very quickly when she stopped following it, and was back in the overweight BMI category.

For me, the keto diet just isn't sustainable. It also makes me obsessive about carbs because I feel deprived, and to feel like I'm living to eat instead of the other way around. I've lost and kept the weight off by following a lower-carb, but not low-carb diet. I try to keep it under 80 net carbs a day. I've followed a plan from The Insulin Resistance Diet Plan & Cookbook by Jennifer Koslo. I checked the book out from the library, read it, and then just followed the guidelines. I don't literally follow the menu suggestions for each day. I recommend it, especially for any women with PCOS.

That's the problem with "diets" in general.. people go on it for a while, get positive results, then go back to the habits that got them in trouble. There's no discipline to stick with what's working. This is a lifestyle change.

If one doesn't wish to permanently change their eating habits they shouldn't even bother with WLS, it's not gonna help whatsoever.

One should find a healthy diet that's both conducive to their health goals and something they can plan on doing indefinitely. Keto is just one idea of many.