Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May surgery and surgeon has me second guessing the sleeve

Hi all,

My sleeve surgery is scheduled for May 8th. When I met with the surgeon last week to schedule the surgery, the first thing he asked me when he walked in the room was "so why the sleeve?" I answered him and he proceeded to tel me that he thinks bypass would be better for me because on the sleeve, I will most definitely get heartburn for the remainder of my life, also that bc i have a family history of diabetes, that with the sleeve I am more likely in 10 to 15 years to still develop diabetes, and lastly that with my height and weight and getting the sleeve, I will only ly lose about 5 lbs but with the bypass, i will lose around 60 to 80.

I have foe a lot of research and found that the sleeve is the best option for me and I stuck to my guns, even as he stared me down waiting for me to change my mind. But now I second guessing my sleeve decision and thinking the bypass would be better for me.

Anyone have any experience with this dilemma?

Thanks in advance

Was this the first time you were seeing him?
That seems odd.
Personally, I wouldn't want bypass due to the rerouting and the potential for dumping syndrome.
Can you find a different surgeon?
It is your body and your choice.
If you want to get sleeved, then get sleeved.

Was that a typo, or did your surgeon really say that with the sleeve you would only lose 5 pounds? Because that just seems very wrong.

I think you should talk to another surgeon. Some doctors just really think about themselves other than their patients. Sometimes it's all about the money. The gastric bypass cost more than the sleeve so maybe he's thinking of dollar signs. I understand that the sleeve wouldn't be right for you IF you have existing acid reflux disease because it can worsen your condition. However, if you don't have acid reflux right now then there should be no reason why you shouldn't have the sleeve. Sure patients lose more weight with the gastric bypass but it's very risky and has a higher complication rate. So I say if you feel comfortable getting the sleeve, go for it!!!

This came in up during a group meeting with our surgeon. We all told him what we were getting again. He described both procedures again. This was about 2 weeks before surgery and we had all been on a 6 month wait so we had discussed this in private with him several times. However, some of the people who were getting bypass starting wanting sleeves. Someone asked how do we know which one is best for us. He explained that its a personal choice but that sometimes if people have a lot more to lose, they chose bypass, or significant diabetes, they choose bypass. Even though I don't have it, but both my parents and grandparents have it, I opted for the sleeve. I'm only 6 days out, but I am 8lbs lighter and happy!

@antoinette85

How much you lose after surgery is basically based on you and how you eat/live. I have lost more weight with the sleeve than most people with RNY. That is because of my lifestyle choices.

I was diabetic. Completely reversed it. The one person I know that had RNY with a family history of diabetes had cured their diabetes with surgery. Then they started eating poorly and regaining, and now they diabetes is making its way back. It is really a roll of dice if RNY will cure you of diabetes or prevent you from every getting it. It isn't a guarantee.

The only reason to choose RNY over Sleeve is if you already have GERD and that GERD is not based on a Hiatal hernia.

In the end you have to live with the choice not the surgeon.

A lot of things that claimed to be guarantees with RNY don't always apply like dumping, most people don't dump long term. People with RNY supposedly lose like 10% more weight, but that 10% isn't really worth having your intestines touched.

JMO

A few questions - how many surgeries has your surgeon done. Did you research him/her as much as the procedures? Have you met with the rest of the team and discussed any of this before today? How long have you been in the process?

If you really feel uncomfortable, then consider changing surgeons, but, when I spoke with my surgeon he asked me the same question. I told him I preferred the sleeve because I was concerned about all the complications with bypass (dumping, etc.). He then laid out the pros and cons in a very thoughtful way and told me his recommendations based upon the 200 bariatric procedures he does every year and has done for the last 19 years.

I trusted his judgment. He has a medical degree. I don't.

I had this experience when I first went in to see surgeon..vice versa. I told my doctor I wanted to do Bypass but when he found out I was a smoker he said he would not perform the surgery . Reason being was because if you smoke when you have bypass you get ulcers. So basically you are in pain all the time. So i decided to do Sleeve. I will tell you that it was the best decision I have ever made. It was non painful except for the gas pain you will have for maybe 2 weeks..I have lost over 60 lbs and I am 4 months post op. I feel better then I ever have. But you have to go with your gut intincts. My doctor was highly recommended and If he told me what was best then I listened to him! Good luck and relax! Everything will be ok!!

Hi all,
My sleeve surgery is scheduled for May 8th. When I met with the surgeon last week to schedule the surgery, the first thing he asked me when he walked in the room was "so why the sleeve?" I answered him and he proceeded to tel me that he thinks bypass would be better for me because on the sleeve, I will most definitely get heartburn for the remainder of my life, also that bc i have a family history of diabetes, that with the sleeve I am more likely in 10 to 15 years to still develop diabetes, and lastly that with my height and weight and getting the sleeve, I will only ly lose about 50 lbs but with the bypass, i will lose around 60 to 80.
I have done a lot of research and found that the sleeve is the best option for me and I stuck to my guns, even as he stared me down waiting for me to change my mind. But now I second guessing my sleeve decision and thinking the bypass would be better for me.
Anyone have any experience with this dilemma?
Thanks in advance

Sorry all,I meant 50. I fixed it

Was this the first time you were seeing him?
That seems odd.
Personally, I wouldn't want bypass due to the rerouting and the potential for dumping syndrome.
Can you find a different surgeon?
It is your body and your choice.
If you want to get sleeved, then get sleeved.

This was the first time I saw him. He.only sees you twice before the surgery. Once to meet you and discuss it and second for the post op. He is a great surgeon so I don't want to switch, but i did stick to my decision

Was that a typo, or did your surgeon really say that with the sleeve you would only lose 5 pounds? Because that just seems very wrong.

I meant 50

I think you should talk to another surgeon. Some doctors just really think about themselves other than their patients. Sometimes it's all about the money. The gastric bypass cost more than the sleeve so maybe he's thinking of dollar signs. I understand that the sleeve wouldn't be right for you IF you have existing acid reflux disease because it can worsen your condition. However, if you don't have acid reflux right now then there should be no reason why you shouldn't have the sleeve. Sure patients lose more weight with the gastric bypass but it's very risky and has a higher complication rate. So I say if you feel comfortable getting the sleeve, go for it!!!

I do have a history of heartburn, but it's not severe. I was on omprezole for it after my daughter was born, but I do think even take it anymore.

This came in up during a group meeting with our surgeon. We all told him what we were getting again. He described both procedures again. This was about 2 weeks before surgery and we had all been on a 6 month wait so we had discussed this in private with him several times. However, some of the people who were getting bypass starting wanting sleeves. Someone asked how do we know which one is best for us. He explained that its a personal choice but that sometimes if people have a lot more to lose, they chose bypass, or significant diabetes, they choose bypass. Even though I don't have it, but both my parents and grandparents have it, I opted for the sleeve. I'm only 6 days out, but I am 8lbs lighter and happy!

That is great, thank you

My surgeon at first also suggested bypass, mainly because of diabetes and the amount of weight I need to lose (50-60 pounds). She said that I will probably benefit more with bypass but she will perform a sleeve if that is what I want. She told me to keep an open mind when I am doing my research and the biggest deal breaker for me was the dumping syndrome.

I told them I want a sleeve and that is what we are going with.