Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Balloon Next Week!!!!!

So happy I found this forum. I had no idea gastric balloons existed until a few weeks ago but it sounded perfect for me. Like many, my weight controls my life...I'm miserable feeling and looking like I do. But this procedure gives me hope that I can change my habits and use this as a tool for the next 6 months.

I'm scared to death of how I will feel post-op. Is it painful? The vomiting has me nervous as well...how will I keep my medicine down? I know cramping and vomiting are to be expected but what about general pain? I've read that some docs provide pain meds in addition to the anti-cramping and anti-nausea meds but my doctor feels I won't need pain meds. I'm a big baby so I'm just fearing pain that I won't be able to control. I'm sure I'll be fine but curious what the "norm" is.

From reading other forums it seems popsicles, Protein Shakes and broth are the staple items for the first week. Anything else?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. One last question. What did everyone pay for the Orbera Balloon? I'm paying $5,500.

Hi chpstick2u:

I was worried about post-op, too. Granted, it was no picnic, but it was not as bad as I expected, either. I only threw up a couple of times about 48 hours after, and that was it. I was miserably nauseous for the first few days (to the point of thinking, what have I done?!?), but that passed too, and then I felt a lot better.

I would say to be prepared to ease back into soft and the solid foods ... I think some people get into trouble when they transition too quickly. Also, I don't recall if I took pain meds or not, but I definitely needed the nausea medicine (i.e. both the patch and pill). Come to think of it, I had liquid Tylenol 3 but I didn't take it. I also didn't need the anti-spasm/cramping meds and/or the anxiety pills. HOWEVER, I was glad to have them ALL, just in case.

One thing that I've learned is that everyone reacts differently. There is no way to predict what you'll need so, in my opinion, better to be safe than sorry ... you sure don't want to be making a pharmacy run if you're feeling miserable.

Other than that, if you search for posts from me, I've provided a lot of advice about what to do and eat, so hopefully that will help. Good luck!! :-)

Thanks for the feedback Junior. So my PCP said I should have something on standby and he wrote me some Lortab pills....he said I could smash them up if needed. I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope I won't need it and then I don't have to wonder what I'm doing.

I will look for your posts! Thanks again!

The gastric balloons are temporary (6 months) and not covered by insurance like most of the permanent WLS are. My BMI is just under 33 so this is the best fit for me.

I'm not doubting your choice, I've considered many different options. WLS is not a one size fits all situation! Honestly, I'm just shocked that they charge that much. I wish it was covered for you.

The gastric balloons are temporary (6 months) and not covered by insurance like most of the permanent WLS are. My BMI is just under 33 so this is the best fit for me.

Cool, I hope it works out for you.
I don't know much about it but I did see it at my surgeons office.
They had a display setup for it.
Can I fill a balloon with rice or something and swallow it and get the same effect? (just trying to make a joke)

1 hour ago, sammy246 said:

I'm not doubting your choice, I've considered many different options. WLS is not a one size fits all situation! Honestly, I'm just shocked that they charge that much. I wish it was covered for you.

So how much does it run in your area? I thought I found a bargain but this is a ton of money! :P

I was considering it, but went with the sleeve. In NY area they wanted like $8,500.

I also initially considered the balloon (similar BMI to you) and was planning on getting it but the doctor i went to suggested the endoscopic sleeve as it is more permanent. I am only one week from surgery and i can say so far i am soooo happy i did this instead.

I think mine cost more than that (maybe $7000?) but I don't recall ... regardless, it was worth it and it was the right choice for me. May not be for everyone, but I'm glad that I did it. :-)

Edited by Wayward Traveler

10 minutes ago, Wayward Traveler said:

I think mine cost more than that (maybe $7000?) but I don't recall ... regardless, it was worth it and it was the right choice for me. May not be for everyone, but I'm glad that I did it. :-)

Right on. Next Wednesday can't come soon enough!

I am hearing negative reviews about the band if it worked for you Would you message me and who and Cost Thanks