Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda OT: What do you guys think of Mama June's news headlines about her VGS & Body Lift?

The struggle is real!!!! I know all our WLS journeys are different. I feel that because Mama June is on TV surgery for excess skin etc was given to her to soon, money talks...... I've been asked about her WLS from others around me and I just hope others to think this is the easy way out, it's the last option! I had my sleeve done 11/15/16 and I've lost total of 91.6 pounds so far. I hope she understands it has a lot to do with how we think about food. I still struggle when I see folks eating Cookies or a cupcake but I talk to myself regarding the consequences of eating anything like that! I wish her the best with her journey I don't want anyone to fail. I've told others walk in my shoes then we can talk......

20 hours ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

I'd agree with that if she wasn't a celebrity showing her journey on national TV. And I've been asked how I feel about it, and her 6, times already. So I feel like it impacts me personally. I also kind of resent her being the face of WLS if she's not gonna do it right.

Who are you - or me - to decide who is doing weight loss "right"? How is this Mama June any more the "face of WLS" than, let's say Graham Elliott? Mama June's journey doesn't negatively impact my journey and I hope it doesn't negatively impact yours either.

5 hours ago, DaleCruse said:

Who are you - or me - to decide who is doing weight loss "right"? How is this Mama June any more the "face of WLS" than, let's say Graham Elliott? Mama June's journey doesn't negatively impact my journey and I hope it doesn't negatively impact yours either.

So for me I see it as her telling the world that you can have the VGS in March and skin removal surgery in January. To me her story tells a dangerous and inaccurate journey.

I think her story is totally misrepresenting the real journey patients have to take and I am getting asked about how I feel about her story constantly. lol! So fine, imma b***h. But I don't believe she did the process in a realistic manner at all and I don't believe she reached goal weight before having a bunch of skin cut off and I think other people will think it's gonna be that quick for them.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

I don't really know anything about her and neither does anyone else here unless they happen to know her personally. I don't think you see everything a person is or goes through by watching them on TV. You only see what directors want to portray. I do know she was morbidly obese and she did the work like all of either are or are planning to do hopefully with success forever because food addiction sucks! She is just a person who was suffering and she is one of us. I wish her luck on the difficult journey that is HER journey. We are all the same, not one of us is better than anyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't know that she actually has a show about her WLS. I may have to watch it. I have seen some photos online and it looks like she's done well. I worry about Honey Boo Boo. She looks like she's picked up her mom's unhealthy habits. Reminds me of myself at that age. :44_frowning2:

The more photos I see of her, the more I think she should have lost more weight. Her feet are so fat they look inflated. They never show her legs but you can see they are still trunks in the pictures of her in jeans. Her face and neck are still fat. She still looks like she needs to drop 50 pounds.

I feel like they just faked/rush her whole process for TV.

This is absolutely the last place I would have expected to see people being body-critical of someone else, reality star or otherwise.

I Think how you'd feel with comments about the things you can't change. "Legs like tree trunks" "inflated" fat feet, "just like Carnie Wilson."

Everyone has a different body type, heck, my own legs have never been and will never be anything but "sturdy, like big oak," (thanks for the judgey comment about big legs in this thread I really appreciated it. Made my day.)

It's also essential to point out that the woman has had (imo) far too much surgery in too brief a time, because it is her JOB. And before the 11 months you are on TV, she spent a year or two on her own dropping significant weight pre-surgery

She's still swollen from all of that surgery and won't see the final results for a while yet.

Also, lymphatic problems don't necessarily clear up after surgery. Sometimes they get worse.

I didn't follow the family through the Honey Boo Boo stage, but What I saw in this show was a woman struggling to do something DAMN hard and succeeding.

Im personally disappointed in a lot of people here today.

Edited by HeatherS.
Just too cranky to deal with autocorrect.

15 hours ago, HeatherS. said:

This is absolutely the last place I would have expected to see people being body-critical of someone else, reality star or otherwise.

<snip>

Im personally disappointed in a lot of people here today.

THIS.

I give Mama June a lot of credit for doing this journey so publicly...unlike most of us she has an agent and personal trainer. Her daughters did nothing to support her...They sat and ate cheese pops and garbage. Who was buying them this stuff...I'm glad June finally woke up with the help of trainer and cleaned the garbage out of the house... she had a deadline to meet for the skin removal surgery and she missed it...she was only human. She put the had work in to get the skin removal surgery...I hope she is able to keep the weight off cause I know when I get to my my goal weight ..I have the support of friends and family. Like most of us. I think we know this isn't a quick fix... we have to change our habits

20 hours ago, HeatherS. said:

I Think how you'd feel with comments about the things you can't change. "Legs like tree trunks" "inflated" fat feet, "just like Carnie Wilson."

She is a reality "star" whoring herself on television for fame, and was married to a pedophile that she admitted she did all this just to make him jealous, not to be healthy, not to set a good example. To make a worthless man feel jealous.

I actual censored a lot of what I would have said about her because overall I feel like she is the scum of the earth.

She doesn't really care about a healthy lifestyle or living, her daughter is still huge and they still eat trash. Yeah I think she is going to gain all her weight back. The people that did all her surgeries should be charged with Malpractice. It is ver obvious the whole process was rushed and the idea that she wears a 4 is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

She is a reality "star" whoring herself on television for fame, and was married to a pedophile that she admitted she did all this just to make him jealous, not to be healthy, not to set a good example. To make a worthless man feel jealous.

I actual censored a lot of what I would have said about her because overall I feel like she is the scum of the earth.

Scum of the earth or not, past poor decisions or not, and regardless of her timeline, you're on a forum for people who had the same surgery, probably countless of whom many of your barbs at Mama June apply to. We're here primarily to be supportive of each other's journey.

Now, feeling she's the scum of the earth is your right. But framing it in terms of her looks and the success or not of her surgery is shallow and ultimately harmful to others' success in this environment. That is my point.

P.S. We all "*****" ourselves out for money. It's called having a job. If her job is in entertainment, so be it.

Most people here don't have plastics until they are over a year post-op and actually have a healthy BMI. My opinion stands, you don't have to like it or even read it.

She looks terrible and is piss poor example for WLS and reconstructive plastic surgery.

P.S. All money isn't good money.

I got the sense none of this was her idea and that her "people" rushed her through the process at a totally unreasonable pace for ratings. It's hard enough to do all this when you want to. I can't imagine how you deal with all the emotional stuff that comes with this when your reasons belong to someone else and revolve around money and your primary motivation is to stick it to someone who doesn't even want you anymore. How does she not regain when the world stops caring about her transformation and she's left alone with her small stomach, her emotions and her family who continue to eat crap?