Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda OT: What do you guys think of Mama June's news headlines about her VGS & Body Lift?

So I wasn't even sure if I wanted to post this but I just kept thinking about it so I'm just gonna do it. What do you guys think about all the news about the mom from the show Here Comes Honey BooBoo? Mama June is her name. Now I will admit, I've never seen the show and I've judged her pretty harshly in the past. I try not to be a petty b***h but sometimes I am. And I think I am about her. So I'm not sure if this is me being a b***h or something else.

I hate all the news coverage on her. I think the main reason is they are making it seem like it's just so fast and easy. Like, boom, have the surgery and then boom, have the body lift and you are done! lol! But she doesn't even look like she's really done yet!! It's like she had her extra stomach and next removed but her lower legs and lower arms look just as full. It kind of feels like she had the VGS done and then just had a bunch of fat cut off. Maybe I'm wrong, as I've said I've never watched her shows but I feel like the impression they are giving with this is that the VGS is like some quick and easy shortcut, the results don't seem overly impressive on her and I kind of hate that she might be the face of the VGS for people. I resent that for reasons that might point to me being petty.

How do you guys feel about it, if anything?

Well, I don't go in much for sensationalism, but putting wls center stage might help more people that need the surgery become aware of it.

June took a couple years to complete her transformation, which is realistic. Haven't seen the program, just read a couple articles.

Well, I don't go in much for sensationalism, but putting wls center stage might help more people that need the surgery become aware of it.
June took a couple years to complete her transformation, which is realistic. Haven't seen the program, just read a couple articles.

On the show she says 11 months for everything. I think it's absurd.

I watched the whole show. She busted her butt with trainers and worked hard to lose the weight. Everyone that knows nothing about surgery thinks it's the easy way out regardless of shows about it. I'm super proud of her for doing it. She lost 300 pounds!! Her starting weight was 460. She looks amazing just unfortunately her extra skin on her lower arms can't be helped. She still has it on her legs. The show shows all of her struggles, even regaining and making poor food choices when she was stressed. It showed the ups and downs we all face and how hard she had to work to make that weight actually come off. Now the real question, can she keep it off because that's the real challenge.

That doesn't look like a 4 but okay.

It just makes it seem like surgery is the easy way out, She will be like Carnie wilson and gain it all back. and then some.

I've seen all of the episodes, and they definitely show all of the ups an downs that she went through. It shows her with her trainer, the difficulties she had following the diet, and the major amounts of pain she dealt with on the skin removal surgeries. They also showed her having some problems with depression. I think if people watch the show, they'll see that its not an easy way out of doing things, but if not, people might draw that conclusion...that we all know is sure not the truth. I think she really looks good and I commend her for going through all of this with a camera on her allowing everyone to see the struggle.

I watched the series and think it did a great job portraying WLS- she made her Protein Shakes and fixed dinner for her kids- showed her food addiction, even going to a support group for it (after surgery) this is no easy fix and it showed that people battle food issues in their life. The body lift surgery pain- that one got me- and depression of changes... yep- I was not a Honey Boo Boo fan, but liked this one- it's a reality show- but for what it was- it did a decent job. I will just say the comment about her legs and arms.... weightloss surgery doesn't make your body look like a models... everyone is different. She is healthier!

I was too unsure about watching but I have too watched all the shows. I thought for someone who has had the surgery or thinking about it that it was great. It really shows you a much bigger picture. Many people think you have the surgery and there your are thin again and in a tiny bathing suit. That's not it at all. It showed that battle and continued struggle to not go back to poor eating habits and how important family support is and how hard it is for others to understand what your going through. Also for those who think of additional surgery with loose skin, just how clearly painful that is. Of course for her this transformation was a job too so how much pressure was that and what emotional stress that must have added. I'm sure in most cases they don't do that much skin surgery that fast and all together. I'm sure she was in extreme pain. However, I was proud of her and I think she knows her journey is forever and I really wish her the best and pray that she can stay strong and continue to fight the food cravings. We all know that's an extremely hard lifetime battle we are all fighting.

17 hours ago, aquarius1234 said:

On the show she says 11 months for everything. I think it's absurd.

This sounds more like what I saw. Her legs and arms don't look like she reached goal before the body lift.

This sounds more like what I saw. Her legs and arms don't look like she reached goal before the body lift.

Exactly. The weight loss part is wonderful. But doing all that plastic surgery so soon was wrong in my opinion. Your body needs time to adjust and situate after losing that much weight.

22 minutes ago, aquarius1234 said:

Exactly. The weight loss part is wonderful. But doing all that plastic surgery so soon was wrong in my opinion. Your body needs time to adjust and situate after losing that much weight.

I was 365 lbs at my highest weight and am 5' 1". It's taken me years to get to this point where I'm now a size 12. My arms and legs took a long time to slim down. I feel like she did things so fast, if the 11 months is real than that is way too fast. The surgeon's I'm meeting with to begin screening for a full body lift won't even consider surgery till I've maintained for 12 straight months. And I don't expect to hit goal until I'm at like 8-12 months! Of course I want it to all be done and now and at goal/surgeries done but the reality is that at the BEST most truncated timeline - I'm looking at 24 months post VGS before the docs would put it on their books. and it's mostly likely going to be 36 months. And according to my doc's I am progressing optimally.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

She didn't have a body lift (according to the show), which in my opinion I think would have benefited her more. She only had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift, upper arms and neck done. She had nothing done to her legs. There was no way she would have been healed enough having a body lift. To be honest, she wasn't even healed from surgery when they did the photo shoot. Most plastic surgery takes months for the swelling to go down.

I think her journey is her journey. I wish her the best of luck.

5 minutes ago, DaleCruse said:

Normally I would agree with this but she has chosen to be in the spotlight and the "celebs" that are in the spotlight for WLS set the tone for the rest of us. While I normally wouldn't care, she and her story has affects all of us and how people see WLS.

21 minutes ago, DaleCruse said:

I'd agree with that if she wasn't a celebrity showing her journey on national TV. And I've been asked how I feel about it, and her 6, times already. So I feel like it impacts me personally. I also kind of resent her being the face of WLS if she's not gonna do it right.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput