Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEWBIE NEEDING A POSITIVE NOTE

Hideey- ho

I’m not sure where to actually post this. I’m hoping this was a good place. I’m currently in pre-pre-op. I have my Psych eval today and my Nutrition eval next week. These are required by my insurance. I’ve been doing A LOT of research and maybe too much - LOL. I read a lot on this website and other resources and see a lot about the worst of having barometric surgeries and problems and I’d really like to hear about the best. I mean it's worth it right?

We are Urban Homesteaders and are looking to go full out in the country in a 1-2 years. I’m desperate to get this extra weight off not only because it’s starting to really affect my body with painful joints, degenerative disk disease, borderline diabetic and hypertensive, plus more that would just take to much time to list :) but I need to be able to do our chores and stuff on the homestead. My Children do a lot of it now but they won’t be around forever and I need to get doing these things more. I do what I can, but after standing too long (disk problem) – I have to sit cause leg is numb. Doc said getting weight off will help this tremendously. Hence I’m here on my journey to weight loss surgery. Yay

I’ve always been a very positive glass half full person and reading on here has made me nervous. I’ve tried and tried diets and exercise programs and only come out worst than before. (Exercise I did was too intense and did some damage to my shoulders – go figure). So I had a question, and praying for a positive note more than negative - as a homesteader what is the reliance on the world for this? If the SHTF happens and we can’t go to docs every 3 months or what ever is required, are we screwed? This was the main reason I didn’t choose the lap band thingy. No way am I having a crazy contraption inside me and have to live at a doc office for constant adjustments. Seemed freakier to me. I was looking into the Sleeve; the gastric by-pass was a bit too much and seemed to have more post issues with anemia and stuff. I just would like to hear some positives on the surgeries. It’s taking me 5 years to finally say this is what I need to do so I could really use some advice or positive input. I totally get there are possible complications but heck, I’ve had gallbladder, appendix, tonsils, hysterectomy all removed and no problems. Hoping this will be similar.

Any-hoo – really appreciate your time and sending prays to everyone to have a positive and successful weight loss journey.

sorry for wording - typed this pretty quick on lunch break - ;-) - these little faces are so cute.

Thanks again,

God Bless,

Sherry

@mama3beartn - Here's a bit of my story. I'm 7 months out. HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9. CW 188.2. 55 year old mother of two girls - one a senior in HS, one in 8th grade. THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE (other than marrying my wonderful husband and having my two amazing girls). In my first year, I had to see my team monthly for the three months of supervised diet (began May 11, 2016). I had a few more appointments during August because my surgery was August 23 - so I had the big pre-op diet, post-op diet nutrition class. I saw my doc 2 weeks out, 3 months out, 6 months out and my next visit is at 1 year. I will see him annually after that.

I correspond regularly with my NP at the practice and my RD, by email. I had a sleeve done. Was in the hospital overnight and back to my desk job in less than a week. I was in the gym about a week after surgery working out. If you can avoid moving to the middle of nowhere until after you get to the six month point, I'd say you're in the clear. I've had no complications (knock wood.)

I don't have any good photos of me recently - but here are two for you to compare - the one in the blue shirt was in August 2015 at close to my high weight (within 5 pounds). The one with the red sweater was in November when I was about 3 months post op. I'm down another 25 pounds since then.

Best of luck.

D.

Before.jpg

November.JPG

Complications can happen but generally if you follow your Surgeons instructions you should be fine. I had my surgery in Mexico so all of my follow up care is done by my PCP but honestly other than having Blood work done I haven't needed anything. I think that a Ketogenic Diet would fit Hand in Hand with the Homesteader Lifestyle. All those fresh vegetables and game meats should Help you weed most of the Sugar and Carbs out of your diet and give you the quality fats that your body needs. We will just have to ship you Avocados and Almonds lol.

Hi there,

I had surgery on 2-6-17. I live in a rural environment in Alaska from April to October and in rural Texas in the winter. My Surgeon cleared me to head north 7 weeks after surgery. I was switched to a normal diet but reminded to chew well. I will be coming back for my 6 month followup in August. Then I'm pretty much clear. I will return each year for a checkup with my surgeon and NUT just so they can pat me on the back for how awesome I'm doing;-)

I chose the sleeve for many reasons. Primarily because it doesn't change how my digestive system works. There are fewer complications with the sleeve and it is proving to be an awesome tool for me. I have no complications or contraindications from the surgery. It has been a life saver and like many here say, I wish I would have done it sooner.

Depending on your disposition going through the surgery can be pretty emotional because there is such a life change that you must experience. And it is self induced so there is no one to blame:-).

As an outdoors woman, it was not at all emotional for me. I have more time because I am not so fixated on that next unhealthy meal. My yard and garden are amazing. My walks are pleasant and pain free. I enjoy nature like I never did before. And I've only lost 33 pounds. Imagine what it will be like when I get it all off!!! I can't wait.

There are always risks and it is important to be aware of them. But the risks are circumstantial compared to the guaranteed risks of continued obesity. That is what decided it for me. Heart attack today or heart burn... diabetes forever or a little acid reflux.

The risk of surgery is there for everyone not just WLS and statistically your chances are pretty good. Especially if your generally healthy.

I was self pay. This was great because I didn't have tons of time to second guess myself. My first appt was 1/19 and I was sleeved 2/6. I had considered surgery for many years but thought it was too drastic. I had lost 40 pounds doing low carb and started to regain AGAIN and that was it. I was tired of fighting my body. Decided to do a little fighting back and threw myself for a loop. Through the confusion my body has decided to get in step with my goals:-)

Is it challenging? Sure..but I feel like I've finally been given a break. A chance at the life I always dreamed of. I didn't tell anyone but my husband and son about my surgery because I no longer wanted my weight to be the center of everything or the topic of conversation. I didn't want to talk about WLS with friends and family. I wanted to be normal for the first time in my life.

Ultimately, discuss with your doctor your timeframe. They can tell you their timeline and you can make it work.

Heck, I was wanting this bad enough to come to Texas in August! That's dedication!!!

Take care. Hope I offer some positive words for you.

21 hours ago, 2-Liter said:

Complications can happen but generally if you follow your Surgeons instructions you should be fine. I had my surgery in Mexico so all of my follow up care is done by my PCP but honestly other than having Blood work done I haven't needed anything. I think that a Ketogenic Diet would fit Hand in Hand with the Homesteader Lifestyle. All those fresh vegetables and game meats should Help you weed most of the Sugar and Carbs out of your diet and give you the quality fats that your body needs. We will just have to ship you Avocados and Almonds lol.

Thanks so much for the reply - Oh I do love Avocado. got me a little Avacado tree growing. Only a few inches right now - LOL

We did look into that Ketogenics. My doctor and I have been trying many things. We kinda came to the conclusion my problem relates to my upbringing. I was raised pretty poor and satisfaction never came from what I ate but the satisfaction of feeling full. food was food and we ate anything. Just wanted to be full. I eat very well, all clean, organic and natural, have been for about 4 years now. haven't had a soda or anything but Water and hot green tea since 2011. And I don't think I eat overly too much. Just till I'm full. Problem is... My full feeling is too much for me to loose weight. We are working on that too. Lost 5 pounds this last two weeks so I'm trying. Just going to take some work. My doctor thinks the sleeve would be a great tool for me. Since I got the "what I'm eating" under control. The feeling of being full with less food would be a great benefit. So I"m still doing research. Had my Psych eval yesterday, and Nutritional eval next week. See what come from that. :D - oh boy

thanks again,

Sherry

21 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

@mama3beartn - Here's a bit of my story. I'm 7 months out. HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9. CW 188.2. 55 year old mother of two girls - one a senior in HS, one in 8th grade. THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE (other than marrying my wonderful husband and having my two amazing girls). In my first year, I had to see my team monthly for the three months of supervised diet (began May 11, 2016). I had a few more appointments during August because my surgery was August 23 - so I had the big pre-op diet, post-op diet nutrition class. I saw my doc 2 weeks out, 3 months out, 6 months out and my next visit is at 1 year. I will see him annually after that.

I correspond regularly with my NP at the practice and my RD, by email. I had a sleeve done. Was in the hospital overnight and back to my desk job in less than a week. I was in the gym about a week after surgery working out. If you can avoid moving to the middle of nowhere until after you get to the six month point, I'd say you're in the clear. I've had no complications (knock wood.)

I don't have any good photos of me recently - but here are two for you to compare - the one in the blue shirt was in August 2015 at close to my high weight (within 5 pounds). The one with the red sweater was in November when I was about 3 months post op. I'm down another 25 pounds since then.

Best of luck.

D.

Before.jpg

November.JPG

Hi Diane,

You look great! Congratulations!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I'm glad to hear from everyone that it kinda goes to a yearly visit. That is totally do-able. We need to have yearly checkup anyway. I just didn't want it to be like the gastric band thingy where you were there every few months or so and had to rely on medical help for adjustments and so forth. We aren't moving for at least a year and could be two depending on how long it takes to find what we want and to sell our home. If approved, I'm hoping the process wont take too long. But heard that can vary too. Just continue to do my research and work on losing what I can now. Thanks again Diane,

GrInS :D

Dear Newbie-

I am 20 months post sleeve. I have gone from a morbidly obese couch potato to a physically fit active woman with a BMI of 25.5.

i haven't had a single complication and my only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. You will hear horror stories as you will with any surgery. The vast majority of us cruise on through without a problem as long as you comply with your surgeons recommendations!

Best of luck to you- you can do this!!