Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled for July, Anyone else?

I'm in San Diego. Washington is beautiful!
Where are you in the pre-op stuff? My surgeon has me on the liver shrinking diet for 6 months! I'm 15 pounds down with three weigh ins.

Wow. 6 mos. Seems like a long time. I have 2 weeks and to be honest I'm scared I'll be hungry.

I just found out that I am not eligible for FMLA because my company (I'm a contractor on Camp Pendleton) does not have 50 employees in a 75 mile radius. I've asked about taking unpaid leave since I won't have enough paid vacation to cover the 4 weeks my surgeon mandates, and I've gotten no response. My surgeon's receptionist says they really can't predict exactly when surgery will be because it's based on both insurance approval and the assistant surgeon's schedule. So now I'm kinda up in the air.
They also say some of the tests mandated by my insurance have 6 month expirations and others have 12 month expirations. So if it's pushed back too far I may need to redo some testing. I'm really not happy about not qualifying for FMLA!

I was told the psych consult is only good for 3 mos.

I am glad that my surgeons don't require a pre-op diet. I feel like time is dragging. I really wish it would hurry.

I need clearance from Pulmonary with regard to my asthma, but they won't give it to me because asthma is an "exacerbation condition" and I might be clear NOW but struggling THEN. So I have to see them right before.
I also need my psych eval but I can't find someone with hours I can make to do it. I started this process last year and had to drop out, but I saw a recommended psychologist then and didn't like her, so I won't go back. I told her all about my attempts to lose weight in the past, and the next thing she said was "why don't you try Weight Watchers again?" This was after I told her I'd tried WW FIVE TIMES in the past and never kept it off!! So yeah. Need to call around.
You guys are so lucky you only have two weeks of liquid diets before. Liver Shrinking for six months is not the most fun I've ever had. But at least I get to practice and get used to it, right? [emoji849]

For your psych evaluation, that is if you haven't gotten it yet, find a few places and call and ask if they do late appointments or Saturday appointments. Also, ask your surgeons office if they could recommend one for you. I had to go to one other than who my clinic used because my insurance wouldn't cover it. My doctors gave me a card for a doctor who took my insurance and the visit with him did cost me $82 out of pocket. I was ok with that because if I went to theirs I would have to pay over $200 out of pocket.
Good luck to you!

I'm hoping to have surgery in July. My last nut appointment is May 27, then everything will be sent to insurance. I'm from Washington state as well.

7 minutes ago, losintowin said:

I'm hoping to have surgery in July. My last nut appointment is May 27, then everything will be sent to insurance. I'm from Washington state as well.

Hiya! Maybe we can be surgery buddies. I'm thinking you won't have to wait as long as I did since they should have 2 surgeons by then. They submit after the class meeting at the UW. Have you scheduled that yet?

I'm down in Tacoma. Having surgery through Multicare. I've done the class meeting and most of the nut appts, endoscopy, all that stuff. Once my last appt is done, it'll just be the insurance waiting game. Can't wait!

Good luck! I was so worried I would go through all that and be denied in the last hour.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, losintowin said:

My biggest fear, that I follow everything I need to, and then insurance for some reason says no. I've waited for this for so long, am scared something is going to get screwed up!

That is my fear too. I finished all prerequisites by March 1st. Then it took over 4 weeks to get medically cleared. Now I've been waiting on insurance approval. It's been a little over 2 weeks and I'm still pending. The waiting has me so anxious and nervous. I hope you hear soon because I feel your pain. Good luck.

I'm hoping for July as well! I should be finished with all my requirements by June, so fingers crossed I can have the surgery in July. Does anyone know if it is possible to tentatively schedule a date before you have insurance approval?

I realize that's a fair while away, but I would love to connect with others scheduled for surgery around that time. Maybe we can keep each other sane while waiting.

I'm looking for mid to end July my bday is 7/2 so anytime after lol

I'm hoping for July as well! I should be finished with all my requirements by June, so fingers crossed I can have the surgery in July. Does anyone know if it is possible to tentatively schedule a date before you have insurance approval?

My dr office said they have better approvals when there's a date on the table