Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 meals or 6? How much do you y'all eat? (Post- op vets)

3 meals a day no snacking

@nyseness i agree with you. My dr said 3 meals no snacking. That's what i've been doing and it works for me.

I could never do 6 mini meals, it's just to much for me.

I was reading a couple of web md studies and they said people who do 6 meals are more likely to re-gain because they're used to always eating or over eating.

25 minutes ago, xoxococojay said:

@nyseness i agree with you. My dr said 3 meals no snacking. That's what i've been doing and it works for me.

I could never do 6 mini meals, it's just to much for me.

I was reading a couple of web md studies and they said people who do 6 meals are more likely to re-gain because they're used to always eating or over eating.

That is so true. I use my Protein intake to keep me on track. My NUT have me at 65-85, she said if I'm going over it's a good indication of overeating. I'm 9 months out and I'm still only eating 4-5 ounces at each meal. I pay too much money to regain so I play no games lol

Same. Mine said 60-80 for women. And i think up to 90 for men.
I invested in a food scale- it's not like i really need it. But that helps. I'm the same way, i'm determined to keep it off and eat less forever.

You already got your mind right, you'll do great!!

7 minutes ago, xoxococojay said:

Same. Mine said 60-80 for women. And i think up to 90 for men.
I invested in a food scale- it's not like i really need it. But that helps. I'm the same way, i'm determined to keep it off and eat less forever.

You already got your mind right, you'll do great!!

How do you measure your food without the scale? Girl I take it everywhere esp when I go to my parents house for dinner. They laugh at me but I don't care. I'm serious I seen too many ppl do revisions.

I can't wait until I get to that point.

There is a difference between snacking or grazing and spacing out a specified quantity of calories, carbs, and Protein throughout the day. At 6.5 months post-op, each day I consume 1200 calories, 20 grams of carbs, and 100-120 grams of protein. I accomplish that by eating 7 times, approximately 2 hours apart. It would be no more calories, carbs, and protein than if I ate 3 times and supplemented that with a Protein Shake.

People re-gain because they don't change their relationship with food, they eat and drink things they shouldn't, and they don't eat within specified parameters. They don't re-gain because they eat small, protein-dense meals 6 or 7 times per day.

My advice to people has always been to do what your doctor says, but I know, for me, I could never meet my goals on 3 meals alone because my restriction wouldn't allow me to eat enough in only those 3 occasions. And I refuse to rely on Protein Shakes for the rest of my life...

I agree, I don't know how one could get all the Protein in with just 3 meals, I have 3 meals a day, 3 Snacks. usually snacks are cheese stix, or Protein Shake. I don't have anything in the house that I can graze on. I only eat at prescribed times. at least an hour and a half to two hours after a meal.

3 meals a day ... and I guess 2 Snacks a day .. does that mean 5?

Premier Protein shake and bar for Breakfast (38g of protein)

3 slices of lean ham, 1.5 slices of provolone cheese (wrap) and 2 pickles for lunch (24g of protein)

hamburger (bubba burger) and one slice of american cheese, and a generous 1/2 cup of green Beans for dinner (34g of protein)

I also have 2/2 cheese head light cheese sticks for snacks in the afternoon and in the evening (28g of protein)

lots of sugar free popsicles

3-4 Vitamin waters a day

I also will mix in some Uncle Ben's Ready rice occasionally and sometimes I dump a little Hormel chili on my burger to mix it up

That comes out to be 155g of Protein, 36g of carbs, 83g of fat and 1400 calories .. I also work out every other day for at least an hour, 30 minutes cardo 30 mins weight training.

Edited by Brian B
added protein content of each meal

I drink a Protein Shake every morning, a small Protein snack 3 hours later, followed by a small lunch, then another snack, then a small dinner.

On April 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM, _Kate_ said:

5/6 times a day, 3 meals and 2/3 Snacks .. all based on Protein.

Would you mind doing a typical day for us newbies. I'm really curious. Thank you

Check with your Dr after blood work to make sure Protein intake over 60g a day is recommended. Too much puts a strain on your kidneys and can cause kidney stones. I was doing 100 and he put me back to 60+-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three meals and three Snacks per day. snack is usually fruit, a few whole grain crackers,cheese,yogurt occasionally pop corn.< br>