Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spouse says to stop losing weight

I was blessed with a surgeon that shared this with me.

He said that your family and friends love you and want you to be healthy. When they are used to you being so large, you being a healthy weight is not normal.

When you stand in a room of strangers you could ask any one of them what they thought and every stranger would say you look healthy.

This is an unintentional sabotage that awareness can help you avoid. He said, if a friend or family member told you that your haircut did not flatter your face. How long would it be before you pick a new haircut? Their opinion matters. In this you must be strong and lovingly remind them that you are working hard to be healthy. Appreciate their concern.

Lastly he said, the only one I am to listen to is him. My surgeon said he would tell me if I was too skinny. And he finished it up with, he only had one patient lose too much. She was a grandmother that started to love the attention her family was giving her worrying about her weight loss.

Stay strong and keep your healthy goal in mind always.

I would echo what others have said here. BMI is not the end-all, be-all of determining what your "healthy" weight should be. People are built differently, and while that range generally works, it isn't appropriate for everyone based on their individual build. It would give me some pause if multiple people are telling you that you might want to stop losing. Have a conversation with your nutritionist and support staff to make sure you are getting a well-informed assessment of your current and goal weights.

I can totally relate. I went below my goal weight, I had my RNY JUly 2, 2013. In 6 months I went from 249#'s to 117#. Everyone in my family thought I looked sick and that I had lost to much weight. I did gain just 8#'s!! Now that number doesn't seem like it would make a big difference, well it defintly did. The gain made my family happy and I have maintained my weight of 125#'s for over 3 years now. Does your mind catch up with your body? Mine HAS NOT!!! I just now don't go to the PLUS SIZED racks. It totally blows me away when I try on clothes and see the size I am in. If I look in mirror and stop at my neck I can see the loss. But...any more looking down I still see the FAT ME!!! I have FAT days and not so fat days. My daughter just doesn't get it, she see's me and just thinks I am being weird about my fat days. It is REAL!!!

125 at 5'2 sounds about right.

None of them have to carry your excess weight. I think people really don't realize how uncomfortable extra weight is. I never did until I lost it.

Tell him you are losing to live a long healthy life, not for vanity.

And yes, as someone said before we don't recognize a healthy weight anymore. When I watch old movies and see the size that women were in the past, I see how far off track we are.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, queendeborahbee said:

What an ass, happy he's your ex!

Hell yes...... and he is regretting not supporting me and being selfish and self-centered....

But on a better note.... i met a great guy name Tim and soooo supportive.... Never left my side during my recent Emergency band removal...

On 3/31/2017 at 2:28 PM, customademe said:

I would like to say thank you to each and every one of you who commented on this topic, but I haven't learned the ropes yet on these electronic things (over 50 LOL). Everyone had fantastic input and covered everything I needed to give them the response and provide me the support I needed to get to the finish line.

I see my NUT and surgeon next Thursday and while it has been 4 months since I last saw them, I will be able to go in to this appointment a little more reassured that I am doing the right thing by continuing on my journey to the finish line.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Rally on!

What did your team say about your goal?

My doctor's assistant said keep doing what I'm doing! I'm way ahead of their predictions! My actual doctor said SLOW DOWN! I told him what his assistant said and he said that he would speak with him and when my doctor returned he stated that his assistant had misspoken. I saw the NUT who reaffirmed what I should be doing. Guess what? I've gained almost 7 lbs since then. I'm all over the map. It would seem that I've lost something. I am spiraling out of control again. I returned to the handouts that I was given to try to regain my focus. God has brought me too far for me to fail. I will lose this 35 pounds by September! I'm in this fight for the rest of my life! RALLY ON!!!!!!!

Spiraling out of control is absolutely not what you want to be doing.

Take a moment, and just breathe.

It sounds like your doctor wants you to stay around 140-150.... At least for now. Since your weight wants to jump around, just maintaining for a while sounds like a good idea.

Remember why you started this journey... For health, right? Your doctor has your health in mind when recommending maintaining for a bit. Let your body catch up to your phenomenal progress!

Just because you plateau for now, doesn't mean the journey is over... If anything, a new phase has just begun....

I was thinking about this thread last night.

First, remember the BMI charts are made based on a typical person that was never 100+lbs over weight.

There are some differences between us and that typical person.

1. Loose skin. Even if it is minimal, it is still there. Add 5lbs to the chart weight. (Or 15 if you have a lot!)

2. Your skeleton is sturdier due to carrying the extra weight. Add 3lbs.

3. You have more muscle mass due to carrying the extra weight. Add 15lbs.

That is 23lbs, right there. Maybe I've been generous, but you get the idea. Each of us should probably add 20lbs to what the BMI chart says to find our actual ideal.

So, for the OP.. 125+20=145lbs. This is why your doctor said to slow down ;)

Now you have a new goal, and you are so close! Congratulations!!

My wife has told me the same thing. I am .9 pounds away from my surgeon's goal weight (which still puts me at a BMI of 25). I would really like to lose more weight but my wife said that I would look sickly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches