Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's do It! Right?

I was banded June 2011, got pregnant soon after and had to move away from my surgeon because of work. Long story short, after having my daughter, going through a rough divorce when my spouse battled sudden sever depression, I finally got some Fluid in my band. I'm disappointed. This isn't what my doctor had said. I did research for a year before I decided to get the band. Sleeve wasn't a "thing" yet and I was scared of full bypass.

I get stuck almost daily, I am either so hungry or so full that I am uncomfortable for hours. Sometimes, I can't keep liquids down. I have 4 ccs out of a 10 cc band. Some days I can't eat anything! I never know from one day to the next what I can or can't eat.

I'm heavier now then I have ever been. I have no health problems yet but at 300+ lbs, how much longer can I get lucky and not have a heart attavk, diabetes or god know what else.

I am excited to think I could get a Sleeve! I'm scared because I have my daughter now to think about and am terrified of surgery again.

I have an appointment on April 17th for a physical and to get a referall to start the process.

For Lapband, I started the process and was almost done when the insurance said they wouldn't cover it, that I was given wrong information. I waited months, had to pay everything out of pocket, got on another Insurance, started the process all over again to fight for my band. A band I fought so hard for but am so sad it's not worked like my surgeon had said.

I haven't found my green zone. I'm embarrassed when I have to run to a restroom to vomit. There has to be something better. Sleeve? Is this what I have been waiting for?

I'm a bag full of emotions.

Do it! I too was banded in 2011 and revised mid January of this year. Today I got on the scale lighter than I ever was with the band. After 2 and a half months.

The sleeve is completely different. It works. It's not VIOLENT. You will not take a random bite of an apple and be in pain for a half an hour. You won't have port pain for forever. You will still need to work and I'm far far from having this all figured out but if your experience was anything like mine you will be very very happy you took the plunge.

Oh and also I felt this surgery was easier than the band. I don't know why I was super diligent of about Water and walking maybe??

Good luck with your decision. I was super emotional and nervous about this surgery. Something about "doing it again" that made me feel incredibly anxious. I know how you feel but this can and most likely will be your answer!

Lap band 9/2011
Revision to gastric sleeve 1/2017
HW:283
CW:225
Goal:160

Thank you so much! That is exactly how I feel. Especially having my daughter now. I'm terrified that something will happen to me and since her father has chosen not to be involved in her life she would be left with a stranger really.

Thank you so much again for your feedback, I'm really thinking I am ready to get this thing done for me, for my daughter.

I was banded in 2008 and had a great first 6 months -- but then I moved away from my surgeon and never really had restriction. Then, I started throwing up several times a day, no matter what I ate. Some days I could eat something, then next day it would get stuck.

I had my band removed in December and was sleeved 2 weeks ago. Best decision of my life.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, onmyway11 said:

Do it! I too was banded in 2011 and revised mid January of this year. Today I got on the scale lighter than I ever was with the band. After 2 and a half months.

The sleeve is completely different. It works. It's not VIOLENT. You will not take a random bite of an apple and be in pain for a half an hour. You won't have port pain for forever. You will still need to work and I'm far far from having this all figured out but if your experience was anything like mine you will be very very happy you took the plunge.

Oh and also I felt this surgery was easier than the band. I don't know why I was super diligent of about Water and walking maybe??

Good luck with your decision. I was super emotional and nervous about this surgery. Something about "doing it again" that made me feel incredibly anxious. I know how you feel but this can and most likely will be your answer!

Lap band 9/2011
Revision to gastric sleeve 1/2017
HW:283
CW:225
Goal:160

Onmyway11, I'm so happy to find posts such as yours on BP. I'm also going to have Band to Sleeve Revision Surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Monday, April 10th. I had great success with the band for a few years; however, when I did begin having issues, my surgeon had moved away from the area and I was trying to deal/ignore my issues for a few years. Found a great surgeon and am now moving on to the Sleeve. I'm excited and also MUCH more nervous about this surgery. You hit the nail on the head with the reference to feeling emotional and nervous about "doing it again." and it really helps to hear from someone who feels the same way and went through the revision with success and with such a positive attitude and outlook! Thanks for sharing the great positive energy! Best of luck to you on your journey!