Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 and it's not going well. I took one sip of my Protein Drink and it did not go well. Pray for me.

It does get easier. I absolutely hated the taste of most Protein Shakes, and now, on day 7, I'm used to it. If you can, try changing up the type of shake, or masking the flavor with something else. I'm drinking mainly the Premier Protein shakes, but for me, they are waaay too sweet, so I've been mixing them with unsweetened almond milk and it really helps a lot. I also drink them with a ton of ice so they are super cold. The first few days are the hardest - hang in there!

What do you use to mask the flavor?

25 minutes ago, Thick2slim83 said:

What do you use to mask the flavor?

I used Decaf cold brew coffee for the first few days. At first it was 1/2 coffee, 1/2 shake, and then I slowly tapered off the amount of coffee I was mixing in until I could just drink the shake plain. I also have used a splash of sugar free peppermint or hazelnut Torani Syrup (the kind they use to flavor coffee) and blended with ice to make the drink more like a milkshake.

Thank you. I will try it.

Hang in there!

My 1st day of pre-op diet landed on my sister's bday - I had to use my willpower not to eat anything I wasn't supposed to :( It was really hard. But after you come to terms with the fact that it's all a choice and you chose to do this for a better you, it does get better. Also, tons of support. Only my mom, sister, one friend and my Fiance know about my surgery and I get daily texts asking me how I am doing and pumping me for the day. Even my friend said in "solidarity" she will eat healthy and drink Protein Shakes for the next two weeks which was really nice of her. So getting all of that support and people rooting for you and keeping you accountable is a big part of the process.

I'm starting my pre-op diet today, too. I'm allowed to have up to 6 Premier Protein shakes a day and crystal light.
I'm thinking that an early bedtime will help.
Good luck!! [emoji2]

Hi, I have been on the diet for about 6 days and I have had moments when I feel "I got this" and then others like yesterday where I just want to cry (and of course eat!!). I tasted the Premier shake at one of my surgeon's support groups and couldn't finish the little cup of it that they gave us. So I went on an internet search, read reviews, and purchased a variety pack of powdered Bariatric Fusion. I ordered the flavors I liked (chocolate, orange cream, french vanilla, and Mint chip ice cream). I put them in the Nutri Bullet with crushed ice and a cup of 1% milk. I must say I look forward to them they are delicious, my husband is drinking them as well. Doesn't mean it isn't difficult it certainly is but at least I do enjoy the shakes. We have to hang in there and remember as we struggle it will all be worth it, and so many of us are dealing with the same issues you are not alone!! Good Luck

I just received my surgery date last week which is 18 April 2017. I will likely begin the "shake diet" in the next week or so. I have purchased a variety of shakes form our local health/organic store. I have not tried any other than the Premier Protein choc. It was ok. I have also purchased premier caramel flavored and Adkins Vanilla but haven't tried them yet . I am not a meat eater so I am Protein challenged from the get go my dietitian said. Laughing at the same time he said it! I purchased some crystal light like beverage powders and true lemon lemonade for the clear liquid day before surgery. I have had an intolerance to artificial sweeteners had was told years ago by my dr. to avoid them. Well i thought with the new plant based sweeteners I might do ok. Nope, still caused a very upset crapping tummy and loose stools. Water will remain my drink of choice. Any one know of any sweet free drinks? /?

Just now, Chris Lee said:

I just received my surgery date last week which is 18 April 2017. I will likely begin the "shake diet" in the next week or so. I have purchased a variety of shakes form our local health/organic store. I have not tried any other than the premier Protein choc. It was ok. I have also purchased premier caramel flavored and Adkins vanilla but haven't tried them yet . I am not a meat eater so I am Protein challenged from the get go my dietitian said. Laughing at the same time he said it! I purchased some crystal light like beverage powders and true lemon lemonade for the clear liquid day before surgery. I have had an intolerance to artificial sweeteners had was told years ago by my dr. to avoid them. Well i thought with the new plant based sweeteners I might do ok. Nope, still caused a very upset crapping tummy and loose stools. Water will remain my drink of choice. Any one know of any sweet free drinks?/?

Have you tried Hint waters? They are fruit flavored (just a hint, hence the name), but contain no sweeteners. Although you could probably just make your own fruit-infused Water and save yourself some money. :)

The pre-op is hard, but it does get easier over the next few days. I'm day 11 post-op and I promise it's worth it :)

(our starting stats are almost identical)

Thanks for the encouragement!