Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you get some very large ones, will they go away on their own or do you have to seek medical assistance? I'm using coolant cream, tucks medicated pads and still softener. They just hurt.

I got 2 really big ones after my gastric sleeve, I used every otc medication amd even prescribed medicines and still they would not shrink or go away. I saw a general surgeon and they cut one out and banded another. This is the worse surgery ever. I was on in bed rest for 2 weeks took multiple pain pills during the day and muscle relaxers for the spincter. It's like having a baby naturally with no pain medication for about 10 days.

43 minutes ago, James8525 said:

I got 2 really big ones after my gastric sleeve, I used every otc medication amd even prescribed medicines and still they would not shrink or go away. I saw a general surgeon and they cut one out and banded another. This is the worse surgery ever. I was on in bed rest for 2 weeks took multiple pain pills during the day and muscle relaxers for the spincter. It's like having a baby naturally with no pain medication for about 10 days.

I am sorry to hear about your trouble with this. My partner (not a WLS patient, but someone who has lost 115 pounds in the past year) is struggling terribly with hemorrhoids right now. He gets some temporary relief with the creams, etc., but I am trying to convince him to see a doctor about it. At least hearing what you're saying will give us some idea of what might happen, but I hate for him to have to hear that. (He's on the fence about going to the doctor about it anyway...)

I hope you get to feeling better.

Okay, here's the scoop on hemorrhoids.

1. Everyone has them. They are part of your body. Their purpose is to help keep the anus closed and prevent leakage.

2. When a hemorrhoid become inflamed or irritated it is called a "pile".

3. There are 4 stages or grades of piles. The first stage/grade can spontaneously heal all on its own. In the first one there is no sign of an external pile. In stage/grade 2 the pile is officially external and can be felt/seen. These piles are treated by manually pushing them back into the body. You can do this yourself, have a loved one or significant other do it for you, or have your doctor do it. In stage/grad 3 piles can not be fixed by pushing them back into the body as they simply plop back out. In stage/grade 4, piles extend far outside the anus and are extremely painful. Stage/grade 4 can only be fixed through surgery. Stage/grade 1, 2, and 3, may have sightly painful, may itch, burn, and bleed but in stage/grad 4 the piles are extremely painful and many people are not able to sit down without using a special donut-shaped pillow.

4. Surgery is normally quite effective and simple. Most piles are treated by tying off their blood supply. They then die over a few days and will fall off of the body when you use the restroom. Internal piles need to be surgically removed.

5. OTC treatments may provide relief for stage/grad 1, 2, and 3 but not for stage/grade 4.

6. Obesity, pregnancy, smoking, weight-lifting, and straining while defecating can all potentially cause piles. However, the number one is genetics. If your parents have them you will usually get them as well.

7. Do your best to keep your anus clean as infection only makes the situation worse. This can be problematic for piles that are bleeding or oozing Fluid. Just do the best you can and try to cleanse your anus after every BM, despite how painful it may be.

7 hours ago, crut77 said:

If you get some very large ones, will they go away on their own or do you have to seek medical assistance? I'm using coolant cream, tucks medicated pads and still softener. They just hurt.

So I had inflamed hemmroids after having kid. I used apple cider vinegar by pouring some on swab and wiping the infected area with it, and I be damned, that cured it for me