Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Hair Loss Batman!!

Soooo, as someone that had thick gorgeous hair before surgery with no Hair loss, my life is sucking right now. I was losing it since about 5 weeks but now (@ 3 months out) it's horrible! My hair is starting to come out by the handful and there is hair all over my house! It's so embarrassing to shed constantly in public so I've been keeping my hair pulled up in a loose bun most days. Then my salon recommended the Paul Mitchell tea tree line so I got it. It's supposed to help with fallout and thickening. I've not been using it long but it makes my hair look so much fuller! Haven't noticed a difference in the shedding yet, but I've not been using it long enough to give it a chance. Best part is, no chemicals like Nioxin or hair falling out if you stop using it. It smells VERY much like tea tree oil and mint so if that's bothersome, pass on this product. It's also safe for color treated hair. You might wanna try it out if you are noticing thinning. Hope it helps someone who is desperate like me! IMG_2082.JPG

Thank you for posting this. I am almost 3 months post-op and my hair is starting to thin. I came here today specifically to find some info to help me.

My hair started falling about at about 4.5 months post-surgery. It's awful- thin and scraggly. I've been taking Biotin every day and I think it's starting to get better. I have a friend at work who had surgery about a year before I did. She says just hold on, it'll stop falling out eventually. Ugh... I am ready!

Make sure you are getting enough Protein and water/fluid intake. Not getting enough of either one of these can contribute to Hair loss. I'm not saying the shampoos aren't a good thing but make sure you're getting your nutrients as well.

I had sleeve surgery last July. 3 months later I started the hair thinning and shedding. It is still thinning but slowing down a bit. I bought a wig because of vanity. I cried so much! I know it grows back but crap in the meanwhile...eeek. I was getting the correct amount of Protein etc. my doctor said it doesn't matter what you take some patients will just shed in fact most of them do. My labs were always good. I did go see a dermatologist that specializes in Hair loss. She said with the stress of surgery along with the loss of 80 plus pounds lost...it was the cause. I now take women's and men's rogaine. One in the morning and the other at night. She said I would not notice new growth for about 4 months.! She said it was important not to miss a day of treatment or the shedding would start again! Wish I would have had this info before surgery because I would have started it 4 months before surgery and continued on it. Her info is that keep taking it until your hair is lush and full. It won't hurt to stay on it forever. Good luck all. I first bought a wiglet which is a clip in partial wig. Once it thinned too much to clip in I went to a full wig. Expensive yes...but my confidence level got much better! Ugh such trade offs in life! The bright side is my health couldn't be better! Hang in there everyone. This to shall pass!

I had sleeve surgery last July. 3 months later I started the hair thinning and shedding. It is still thinning but slowing down a bit. I bought a wig because of vanity. I cried so much! I know it grows back but crap in the meanwhile...eeek. I was getting the correct amount of Protein etc. my doctor said it doesn't matter what you take some patients will just shed in fact most of them do. My labs were always good. I did go see a dermatologist that specializes in Hair loss. She said with the stress of surgery along with the loss of 80 plus pounds lost...it was the cause. I now take women's and men's rogaine. One in the morning and the other at night. She said I would not notice new growth for about 4 months.! She said it was important not to miss a day of treatment or the shedding would start again! Wish I would have had this info before surgery because I would have started it 4 months before surgery and continued on it. Her info is that keep taking it until your hair is lush and full. It won't hurt to stay on it forever. Good luck all. I first bought a wiglet which is a clip in partial wig. Once it thinned too much to clip in I went to a full wig. Expensive yes...but my confidence level got much better! Ugh such trade offs in life! The bright side is my health couldn't be better! Hang in there everyone. This to shall pass!

Men's and Women's 5% Rogaine is exactly the same stuff, but with different directions (men's says use 2x per day, women's say once per day). But don't waste your money on pills and potions. Your hair will come back when the stressors stop. Nothing you buy will change that.

Thank you for sharing!! My hair has been falling out for a couple of months now (I had surgery in November) and I'm getting nervous about it continuing too long. I will be buying this!

My doctor said to use men's 5% at night and women's 2% in the morning after showering. It has been proven to help. I am not very patient waiting but yes it will come back....eventually!

Also they said use the name brand rogaine in the men's and generic or store brand for the lady 2%. This came from a doctor that has had great results and gives seminars to other docs!

Thanks for posting!! I was sleeved in oct 2016 and about 2/3 months ago my hair has been falling out like crazy! I have been wearing my hair up too bc I'm embarrassed that it falls out so much!!

I started taking Biotin 5 000 mg before surgery and GNC Mega women's chewable vitamins which has Biotin in it ! And I haven't lost ant hair my beautician said it's growing! So thankful[emoji3]

When did you have surgery?

I have only been using the rogaine for about 3 weeks. It will take about 4 months to see the new hair coming in. I had my surgery last July. I take Biotin from Walmart. Not sure it helps or not. Now it is a waiting game! Ugh! Good luck all!

Yeah I posted a thread about this last night. Bawled like a baby in the shower, then today was so depressed. I just hope it stops soon. I'm glad I at least have all of you with support and advice. I started the Biotin and realized that my Protein intake needed a boost. I do about 40g for Breakfast in a shake then maybe 10-12 for lunch and dinner. My tests all say I'm not nutrient deficient but this Hair loss shook me up. So I'm gonna do more Water and protein.