Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks & 800 calories already

I am 6 weeks post op & I am already able to consume 800 calories a day. Is that too much. Am I doing something wrong ? I am eating mostly Protein, some carbs. However this is very concerning. I thought the 1st few months most people can barely eat. Why am I able to consume so much. Please share your experience &/or thoughts

800 calories sounds good. Try to hit 1000 with your carbs below 25. The sooner you can consume 1000 to 1200 calories, the better for your metabolism and overall health. If you keep your carbs low, you will still keep losing.

I'm three weeks and at about 800. I'd rather be at a higher calorie to be able to work out harder . You still gotta lose at 800.

At 6 weeks post-op, I was between 800-900 calories per day. (For reference, I am 6'0" and at that time I weighed about 260.). I was at 1000 the next month, and now, at nearly 6 months post-op, I am around 1100 most days (now I weigh 215 for reference.)

I'd be interested in what you are eating to get those calories. Dense Protein is going to go much further than carbs. I would recommend getting your carbs to around 20 grams per day, your calories around 900-1000 per day, and your protein around 100 grams per day, and try to get to 1100-1200 calories over the coming months. You can't live on sub-800 calories forever -- sleeve or not.

Yep, that's about where I was....800-1000 calories mostly Protein, quite a bit of fat and very low carb (in the form of veggies). Better to get your calories up so you don't trash your metabolism. It makes maintenance easier. Unfortunately so many of us already have trashed metabolisms from decades of crash/yo-yo dieting.

I am at 6 weeks also and just started to get about 800 cals a day. I was in a stall since week 3, and I exercise 5 days a week. So I finally upped the calories and started dropping weight again this past week, and I have much more energy .

Dairymary our whole lives we've been told eat less it's a simple equation why can't you do it just eat less and so my brain is programmed to think the less I eat more I will lose .....but actually very low calories means you won't lose.....starvation mode is real even at our weight.

I am almost one month out from my sleeve procedure. I recognize the fact that as an older person (69), I will lose slower but....I am not losing anything. My total since surgery is 9 pounds and I struggle every day. One day, I gained a whole pound. I put myself back on liquids and tried keeping below 700 calories/day. I drink Water til I get nauseous and walk for exercise but nothing happens. If I had known that I wasn't going to lose weight and that I could not eat due to restriction, even when I am hungry, I would NEVER have opted to have this surgery. What a disappointment this has been. I hope others can be more positive. I think this is a better choice for young people who have tried everything else.

It will get better I've met others like you and all of a sudden weight began to fall off of them out of nowhere.....was weird but they kept following the program and everything fell in place. . hang tough

3 hours ago, nonnilynn said:

I am almost one month out from my sleeve procedure. I recognize the fact that as an older person (69), I will lose slower but....I am not losing anything. My total since surgery is 9 pounds and I struggle every day. One day, I gained a whole pound. I put myself back on liquids and tried keeping below 700 calories/day. I drink Water til I get nauseous and walk for exercise but nothing happens. If I had known that I wasn't going to lose weight and that I could not eat due to restriction, even when I am hungry, I would NEVER have opted to have this surgery. What a disappointment this has been. I hope others can be more positive. I think this is a better choice for young people who have tried everything else.

You are sabotaging yourself by reverting back to liquids and lowering your calories. You're putting your body into starvation mode and teaching it how to survive on less and less calories. This is unhealthy and certainly not conducive to weightloss and especially long term maintenance. Not sure what kind of expectations you had, but 9 pounds in one month is a good rate of loss. Plus you are right about where most people experience the infamous "three week stall". Do a search and you will find hundreds of posts on it. Totally normal and part of the process, as is gaining a few pounds along the way.

You say you drink Water till you're nauseous. How much are you drinking? It should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you are having a hard time with water (I couldn't drink plain water for over 6 months), you can try herbal tea, sports drinks, water flavor drops, infused water, milk, or any other non carbonated, low cal beverage. How about Protein? Every program is different, but 80+ g/day works for me.

just stick with the program and stay off the scale for a month if you need to. Gauge your progress with NSVs and how your clothes fit.

I was between 800-900 calories at 6 weeks, I don't do low fat and I keep my carbs below 50 at the suggestion of my nut. I keep my Protein at around 100 grams a day. I'm now 12 1/2 weeks out and my calories are between 900-1000 most days. Still try and keep my carbs below 50 though my nut said anything below 65 is okay by her and protein between 100-110 most days. I'm steady losing about 2-3 pounds a week except my cycle week. I'm currently down 36 from surgery. Sounds like you are doing well!

800 calories sounds good. Try to hit 1000 with your carbs below 25. The sooner you can consume 1000 to 1200 calories, the better for your metabolism and overall health. If you keep your carbs low, you will still keep losing.

And as I just found out, this is my problem. 6 months out eating 700-800, now pushing 1000-1200. Feeling not run down. I was at a stall. scale moving this morning. My bmr was 2100 andi was burning an additional 650-700 through exercise. My poor body thought I was starving.

You are sabotaging yourself by reverting back to liquids and lowering your calories. You're putting your body into starvation mode and teaching it how to survive on less and less calories. This is unhealthy and certainly not conducive to weightloss and especially long term maintenance. Not sure what kind of expectations you had, but 9 pounds in one month is a good rate of loss. Plus you are right about where most people experience the infamous "three week stall". Do a search and you will find hundreds of posts on it. Totally normal and part of the process, as is gaining a few pounds along the way.
You say you drink Water till you're nauseous. How much are you drinking? It should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you are having a hard time with water (I couldn't drink plain water for over 6 months), you can try herbal tea, sports drinks, water flavor drops, infused water, milk, or any other non carbonated, low cal beverage. How about Protein? Every program is different, but 80+ g/day works for me.
just stick with the program and stay off the scale for a month if you need to. Gauge your progress with NSVs and how your clothes fit.

Did dr ever tell you why you couldn't drink plain water. I can't either. 6 months out I froth, foam what ever its called and vomit. Sip sip doesn't work either. If I add crystal light or have a power aid zero I'm fine. My dr had no insight and had never heard such