Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel pretty hungry, not unbearable, but still.....I have even dreamt about eating! My stomach feels empty and Protein Shakes and strained Soups since surgery are not doing it for me. I wont eat because I don't want to die...lol....but seriously.....but I am kind of irritated that this is an issue. Anyone else feel this and or when does the hunger stop??? Im also taking prescription antacids. Ugh.

I need advice too!! I'm five weeks out and am hungry all the time....even after I eat. And not only am I hungry all the time but I never feel full. No nausea, no vomiting, no "stuffed feeling, no pain in the chest, and no "I can't eat another bite" feeling at all. I've been sticking to the diet and keeping under 700 calories but I am miserable. I feel like I am on the worst diet of all time!! I was so hoping the Sleeve would help curb my hunger and give me an early sense of fullness! Sometimes I wonder if my doctor did anything to my stomach at all! Help!!

15 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

I feel pretty hungry, not unbearable, but still.....I have even dreamt about eating! My stomach feels empty and Protein shakes and strained Soups since surgery are not doing it for me. I wont eat because I don't want to die...lol....but seriously.....but I am kind of irritated that this is an issue. Anyone else feel this and or when does the hunger stop??? Im also taking prescription antacids. Ugh.

Actual hunger versus head hunger are two different things. Majority of the time it's actually head hunger whether we want to admit it or not. Your profile says your surgery was 12/16. Is that not the case or are you still on liquids? A Protein Shake is not going to give you a full feeling unless you drink it too fast. It's a liquid so it's going to pass through your stomach in a fairly quick amount of time.

Head hunger is not cured by having WLS. That's a mental battle you have to fight. I had a bad habit of eating as soon as I got home from work. Didn't matter if I ate right before leaving room. My head told me I needed to eat when I got home even though I had no legitimate reason to.

There is a difference of being satisfied with what you eat versus chasing a full feeling. The goal isn't to always feel full after every meal. You should be able to measure out a portion, eat, and walk away from the table happy.

How many carbs are you eating? I try to stay below 30 and only healthy carbs. I use MyFitnessPal to track what I eat. That way I can see my Protein and carb take. Simple carbs make you hungry before WLS and after. When I started this journey I committed to giving up all sugar and grains. I have zero hunger. I've learned to cook a new way and I save tons of money on food.

If you get a chance check out "The Perfect Human Diet". It's a documentary on Hulu. Netflix may have it also.

Good luck

I feel pretty hungry, not unbearable, but still.....I have even dreamt about eating! My stomach feels empty and  Protein  shakes and strained  Soups since surgery are not doing it for me. I wont eat because I don't want to die...lol....but seriously.....but I am kind of irritated that this is an issue. Anyone else feel this and or when does the hunger stop??? Im also taking prescription antacids. Ugh.

Have you tried cottage cheese or sf puddings?

Im still on week one liquids. I don't know why Im not sick or unable to drink like so many other people. I am hungry. I get 60-90g of Protein depending on what Protein Shake (Atkins, Premier, Muscle Milk, Genepro) I use. I'm taking my prescription antacids and do not feel nauseated. Im telling you I am hungry. I get "full" or not hungry from my Soup or shake, but I am so hungry when Im cooking for the family, or when I smell food or see it on TV.....all the standard hungry triggering. And my stomach feels empty in between shakes. Theres no satisfaction at any table or overeating. I feel hungry! I feel like Im going crazy and I am being told up isn't really up and down isn't really down. Did anyone feel this way and get over it?

Yes! I'm going to define my hungry then and now.

About two weeks after surgery I felt hungry all the time like Christina describes. Cooking, seeing people eat made me feel hungry.

Knowing that I just had 80% of my stomach removed which included severing nerves to my stomach and removing most of my grelin hormone didn't change my hunger feeling. Genuine hunger is the body craving nutrition not the head craving something that tastes good.

Because of my new physiology I know it isn't empty stomach hunger because my small tummy doesn't know it's empty. Now my first step to hunger is to add real, good nutrition. If I'm still hungry I'm sure it's my head and I clean something in my house or go for a walk

Good luck

Every one feels hungry when they can't chew.

Once you can chew food it will be less.

Scientifically you should not have any physical hunger at this point mainly from swelling and nerves being cut. It should basically be impossible to be physically hungry.

The person hungry at 5 weeks are you on a PPI? You can still feel hungry on an antacid. Only a PPI is going to stop you from feelings hungry because of acid.

Thanks Pam! I can't wait until I can barely eat lol. I am so afraid that I will be the one that it doesn't work for. I am grateful for the many people who post similarly themed experiences or feelings. I really feel like Im going crazy as far as believing what I am feeling right now but hearing its "normal" is comforting.

Hi all I am 12 days post op and I can really relate. For me it's mostly head hunger.... I was dreaming of parmesan crisps given I have been on liquid / pureed diet for so long now..... I miss being able to chew on crispy food and eating popcorn etc. What I now do is just whip a yummy dinner up and feed my loved ones while I watch and feed on my pureed refried Beans and mince...

A few more weeks and we can chew again!! Let's stay strong!

I absolutely think it is possible to have true hunger. My solution? I'm only 2 weeks out, but am consuming 1000+ cals. 3 cups of whole or 2% milk, 1 cup of drinkable yogurt, coconut Water, Protein powders, and even my Vitamins have 75cals. I also drink 40oz of water.

My skin feels great, I have plenty of energy, and I'm feeling healthy, not pinched and malnourished like I felt on the preop diet. And I am losing weight at an acceptable rate.

I'm allowed to start purees, so am adding in cottage cheese and today I'm gonna try tuna. Once I'm getting calories and protein from food, things will shift again.