Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Vacation With New Stomach

I just got back from a week away on vacation, my first vacation since having the VSG. We stayed at a beautiful all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic. And like being on a cruise, we were always surrounded by free food and drink.

There's a lot I didn't do "right". I never made it to the gym (though I did swim every day and went kayaking once). I did indulge in alcohol, though never to a sloppy excess. And I did visit the dessert buffet on more than one occasion. But I also made an effort to emphasize Protein, and stop when full, and separate eating and drinking. I was constantly struck by how little I eat now -- just a few bites and I was full. I found myself rearranging the food on my plate to make it look like I'd eaten more than I had. ;-) Honestly, there was a little regret that I couldn't "enjoy" the meal like I used to: 2-4 courses with 2-4 drinks. Instead it was a taste of this and that and a sip of wine at the end. But beyond that disappointment there was amazement that I could now just walk away from the food still on my plate, that I could skip dessert or an appetizer and not really care. I even dropped a pound or two while I was away.

For example, I knew that if I had something like french toast I wouldn't have room for any protein, so I didn't bother with the french toast or at least with no more than a small bite. And after all the dire warnings it was somewhat comforting to find that neither my susceptibility or hankering for alcohol had increased noticeably. But best of all I felt so much less self-conscious poolside. I've passed my half-way point with "just" 40-50 lbs to go, and I'm rediscovering favorite old clothes I'd put away.

Hello,

Good for you. I am going there to an all inclusive as well and there is talks of New Orleans style BBQ and bottles of alcohol daily. I have never really been big on drinking. I do love dessert. However, I have been struggling to keep food down now and I am 3 months out as of yesterday. I have to get an upper and lower go to see why I'm having difficulty. Back to the vacation though, my main concern are my big sagging thighs. I not sure I want to prance around on the beach like this. And I really am looking forward to relaxing on the beach daily.

Hello,
Good for you. I am going there to an all inclusive as well and there is talks of New Orleans style BBQ and bottles of alcohol daily. I have never really been big on drinking. I do love dessert. However, I have been struggling to keep food down now and I am 3 months out as of yesterday. I have to get an upper and lower go to see why I'm having difficulty. Back to the vacation though, my main concern are my big sagging thighs. I not sure I want to prance around on the beach like this. And I really am looking forward to relaxing on the beach daily.

I saw swimsuits geared toward people that had weight loss surgery. There are shorts and tips that help hold in extra skin while still looking fashionable if that would make you feel more comfortable.

How far post op are you ? I'm going on a cruise and will be three months post op.

8 hours ago, sally628 said:

How far post op are you ? I'm going on a cruise and will be three months post op.

Only about two months.

ahhh, I had a similar experience on a cruise! I felt like I ate so badly and kind of "accepted" that when I came back, I'd have lost no weight -- or worse, I'd have gained a couple of pounds. It was a shock when I stepped on the scale and realized I'd lost almost 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks!! wtf?! 247 when I left, and 237 when I got back...

I think that these kind of resorts encourage a certain degree of activity that helps. At home, I sit a lot, all day, since I work from home. I go to the gym, but I wouldn't say I have an "active" lifestyle otherwise. But on vacation, woo boy! There were a couple days I hit about 7 miles of walking....

Can you give me an idea how much you can eat a few months after sleeve? and how much Water can you drink. I drink lots i understand that goes through quicker. I'm drinking water or unsweetened tea all day.

@rossthebossAt 2 months out I can only eat about 6 oz. at a time. That's like a small chicken breast and some vegetables. liquids do pass faster. For example if I over-drink I'm uncomfortable for a couple minutes, but if I over eat the discomfort can last a half-hour. That said, I can drink 8 oz. in about 20 minutes. Maybe 10 if I really work at it.

I'm 6 weeks out and I can only eat no more then 2 ounces can't drink anything with it or I won't have room for the 2 ounces it takes an hour to digest foods like tuna fish or bake chicken wings which i found is the only part of the chicken I can eat! Loving this new sleeve of mine!

I'd like some information about those swimsuits mentioned earlier. Does anyone know any websites?