Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post Op - Depressed and Hungry!

Hello!

I am hoping that someone can provide some advice or encouragement for me! I am 2 weeks post - op and feeling depressed and hungry - but just thinking about food makes me sick! And, to top it all off, I have not lost any weight since last Friday! Will I ever feel normal again? Does all this go away?! I want to eat food again and not feel like I am going to die!

Please help.

Nancy

You are just experiencing the "three week stall" that everyone goes through. Your body just went through a traumatic surgery and is concentrating more on healing at the moment than anything else. Your job right now is to meet your Protein and Water goals, and to work through your food stages. This isn't the most fun time in the journey, but it is an important time. You will feel better and better as the days and weeks go by.

When you are hungry, have a Protein Shake (or part of a protein shake). That always helped me.

Good luck!

The first few weeks are tough but it will get better. It really is important to try and keep a positive attitude. Whether it's a hobby or whatever find things that are fun to do to help keep your mind off of things. I've hit a temporary stall as well but it's normal, and I know it'll pass. Hunger at this point is likely head hunger because it is hard not to think about food. I had zero desire to eat the first 4 weeks. It was nothing but maintenance for me because I needed to.

Don't stress about the scale because that makes it all the more frustrating. Like blizair09 said your body is still recovering. As tough as it to do sometimes just be sure you're getting in your Protein & Water.

You might not ov lost weight but you would ov lost inches stay strong 💪 it does get a lot easier I no I was the same but now I feel good healthier and dare I say getting slim whoopeee 😃

I feel more Protein I get down more weight I lose strange it's hard to eat just takes time ur stall will be over soon 😀And you will be back on track

I know exactly how you feel. Trust me it will pass. I am three months post op and sooo glad I did this. I realized I was revolving my life around food. Now I don't. I am listening to my NUT and doing exactly what I'm suppose too. Like what folks said, your going through a healing process, you just had major surgery. Take care of your belly first. It is a tough time but it's only a short time. Once your weight starts dropping you will feel better. Keep up the Protein and Water and you will see amazing results. Good luck.

Thanks Nancy

Thank you everyone who responded! I'm feeling much better and the scale has moved a little! Back to work and back into a routine has been good. Still feeling nauseous when I try and eat but shakes and liquids are doing the trick for now! This is definitely much harder than I ever antipciaped. Thank you for all of the support! It means so much to me!

xoxoxoxo

Nancy

I am 8 days post-op and got hit with a giant wave of depression this morning. I had a great first week (lost 8.7lbs) and this week I've lost .2lbs. I am worried I am getting too many calories since I can drink 64oz of Water and get in all my Protein for the day.

Hunger isn't really a thing, but I find myself browsing recipes kind of obsessively on Pinterest. Thank you for posting, @NancyNYC -- I am sorry you are struggling but it helps me to know that I am not the only one.

Hi Kristenmh!!!

I know EXACTLY what you are going through!!! Quick story- this past Sunday I literally said to my husband, "if I don't feel normal again in like 3 months I am going to kill my self." This is SO hard. And I've been also sooo depressed. Everyone says it gets better and it is. Little by little. Right now food isn't really my friend so I'm just eating what I can, mashed potatoes and tuna. Eggs- Can't keep them down for some reason so I'm loading up on Protein via shakes. The past few days I feel good! Nausea is more manageable!

Funny! I'm obsessed with cooking videos on IG. I think we just miss food. But I'm finally believing it gets better. And when youre having a bad day know I'm here. And email me whenever you want!! We are all in this together!

Dont give up!

XO

Nancy

Thanks, @NancyNYC! BTW, Dr. Fielding did my lap-band surgery years ago! I ended up having to revise to a VSG, but not b/c Dr. Fielding wasn't an amazing surgeon.

I can sooooo relate to all this!!! I'm 13 days out and having the hardest time getting any Protein or all my fluids in. Been soooo depressed and doing nothing but sleeping.
Today has been great so for I forced myself to eat some potato Soup today which actually felt great. But the sweet stuff like shakes get me sooo nauseous. However I am still loosing down 20lbs. Just wish I could get it together so I have more energy and feel better.

SW 207
CW 187
GW 125

[emoji259]M[emoji259]

How do you feel @MelissaH74?? I will say that I am getting better but the nausea just isn't going away! Some days its ok, some days its not, just the sight of food or trying to eat things that are "real" foods" is still impossible. I am requesting an apt with my DOC so she is aware - the NP says its normal, but I really need some more reassurance.

Keep in touch if you need to talk! and feel better!

The Bariatric Pal Store foods help a lot!

XOXO

I'm 12/13 days post-op and I've found myself looking at recipes too. I even purchased three cookbooks from Amazon.

For me, I think it's because I'm so anxious about having to eat again. food feels like my enemy and having no hunger has felt like Heaven. The thought of eating makes me feel like, "Oh my god! It's going to suck me in and I'll fail again!" or something like that. So, I find myself trying to prepare for when I advance to solids, which is in two weeks from now. Scary. #DontWantAny