Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breathing tube fear

I'm scheduled for surgery on April 12th and I'm nervous, but excited. My biggest fear is honestly the breathing tube. I've heard of people waking up post-surgery with it still in and that terrifies me. Was your breathing tube out by the time you woke up from anesthesia?

Where did you read that it was still in after waking? I'm guessing they had a complication. I've had a few surgeries (but not sleeved yet) and never have I woken with it not already removed. I have had a sore throat from it though.

Everything had been taken out, no sore throat, no headache and finally, no fear. I hope you have a similar experience:)

The same here, no breathing tube when I awoke. You will do just fine!

I've had general anesthesia more times than I could count. I also sing at a fairly high level. I had surgery on Tuesday, so I didn't sing the Sunday after (missed Thursday rehearsal). But I sang the following Sunday. Not even hoarse. Really, intubation is the least of your worries unless you have other health conditions that would increase that risk (e.g. serious lung problems, COPD, other serious lung ailments.)

They knock you out before they put it in, and take it out before you wake up. I never saw or felt it. The only thing the did pre-op was start my IV.

I have no recollection of mine. In after they knocked me out, and out before I woke up. No sore throat.

I'm with #BirdDog. The only thing I remember was lying down on the table and be asked to scoot up a bit after I complained about my back hurting. Then the very next memory I have is waking up in a dark room. So no memories of the tube and no soreness in my throat at all.

I woke up with the breathing tube still in. They had taken it out but I wasn't breathing well so they put it back in which is why I woke up with it in. I was in recovery a long time because I wasn't waking up properly. It was a little scary because I'd had many surgeries before and that never happened before, but I had never been that heavy before either.

Woke up with breathing tube out everything was fine [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

This was my #1 fear! Not surgery, not money, just the breathing tube! ha!

I kept asking my surgeon, and the Physicians Asst and later, the anesthesiologist "will I feel it?"

And she assured me that it would be out before I woke up, and it was! Good luck to you!

Tube was out when I woke up. I did have some minor soreness in my throat the first day or so but nothing horrible. You should be just fine!

I woke up while they were putting the tube in for my lap band surgery 5 years ago. I heard the anesthesiologist say "Just hold on, don't fight" then I was out again.

The next two surgeries after that I spoke very frankly with the anesthesiologists about what happened, and let them know what would happen to their loved ones if it happened again, which it has not. It had also not happened the 4 surgeries I had prior to the band.

I have never woken up with the tube, though a slight sore throat has been common for me.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness