Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Control with Food addicts

It is really hard for me to diet and I am afraid that after my Sleeve I wont be able to have good self control. I have a huge sweet tooth and I need to learn to control it but as a food addict I would like to know how the sleeve helped or challenged your addiction.

It has not helped in the least. I still want it all! I am talking to a therapist next week to get some help with this. The only thing I have going for me is restriction, and even that can be eaten around. You could nibble on your fav snack all day long and rack up the calories. I feel like I have literally committed to being on a lifetime diet with guilt and self hatred still prevalent. I still have to choose what to put in to my body every day.

The key is having the grit and perseverance to change your relationship with food. For me, that started with working to stop food from being the centerpiece of my life. I started looking at food as fuel, where the macros drove my decisions about what to eat rather than what I liked to eat. As has been stated, the sleeve is merely a tool. It will provide restriction, yes, but you are going to have to make the tough decisions about what to ingest, because it is easy to eat around the restriction. It doesn't take long to explore these forums and find countless people who have not changed their relationship with food and who will not be successful with getting to and maintaining a healthy weight longterm.

It is important to have a serious conversation with yourself before the surgery to determine if you are willing to embrace these necessary changes. Also, I would determine whether or not you need the help of a professional psychologist as you embark on the mental battle.

Good luck!

The final two weeks prior to surgery and then right after was a major wake-up call to my relationship with food. I probably say this too often, but I honestly look at my relationship with food as an alcoholic would to drink. The surgery was a tool, just like AA can help somebody battle alcohol addiction. Every day I'm going to have to face the world and make the right decisions. In time that will get easier but (for me personally) it will be a continuous battle for the foreseeable future.

I have a very addictive personality and I thought my world was going to end when I gave up smoking years ago. There are times when a friend will be smoking and it sounds soooooo good, but I know it's a fleeting feeling and it'll pass. That's where I hope to get with food. Right before surgery I went through the food mourning phase thinking that I'll never be able to eat and eat and eat on holidays like Thanksgiving. After a while of introspection I realized it's that excuse of "I'll only indulge myself on A & B days" that led to adding C & D & E & F days as well.

Guess my wake up call was that I couldn't go into surgery with the thought process of how do I get around my sleeve after surgery to cheat every now and then. Again I go back to the alcoholic reference because I can't make an excuse to go to the bar on only special occasions. Deep down I know that's going to open the door to further trips down to the bar. Years ago I was working on a serious drinking problem due to a horrible job. Got out of there and got my crap together but it's a demon I know exists in me. I can control that one well enough and only have a few drinks here and there throughout the year. Just have to get that control on food now too.

If you know you are a food addict and have major problems with a food group then I would suggest a Psych evaluation to determine what's gonna work for you. The sleeve does Jack sh*t for addictions so it's all down to willpower and therapy.

In our program our psychiatrist will not even consider sending a referral to the surgeon if he suspects addiction or white lies being told to cover up issues - it's why so many fail after surgery because they believe the sleeve does everything for them.

Wishing you the best! :)

It has not helped in the least. I still want it all! I am talking to a therapist next week to get some help with this. The only thing I have going for me is restriction, and even that can be eaten around. You could nibble on your fav snack all day long and rack up the calories. I feel like I have literally committed to being on a lifetime diet with guilt and self hatred still prevalent. I still have to choose what to put in to my body every day.

It will not fix any kind of food addiction or sugar cravings. You still need to watch what eat even more with the sleeve.
All meals have to be nutritional as you can fit so little in. You don't want to waste that space with crap.
But I find I snack more so in the arvo. Not because I'm hungry but well just because!!..
I have never needed an excuse to eat.
Having adult kids in the house we still have crap and I'm tempted every damn day with that.
Trying to lose weight before and doing what I'm doing now hasn't changed.
I have lost the majority of my weight though and wouldn't change my decision about getting the sleeve.
Any kind of weightloss journey is a life long journey. Unless ya born skinny with an awesome metabolism we are all on the same boat.

I've posted this elsewhere but I also identify with being a food addict. I just read a short but helpful book called Never Binge Again. Even if you're not a binge eater, it helps develop a way to cope with your inner food demon. Free ebook on Amazon and only 120 pages or so. Good luck!

My sleeve will accept anything I eat!! That's how I gain 30 pounds eating junk!! The mind gotta be strong...I have lost 15 of them but I haven't hit my goal and I am 2 years out....not gonna beat myself up just get back to the program.... It's called a journey for a reason.

It is really hard for me to diet and I am afraid that after my Sleeve I wont be able to have good self control. I have a huge sweet tooth and I need to learn to control it but as a food addict I would like to know how the sleeve helped or challenged your addiction.

I was also a sugar addict, but after surgery - everything tastes too sweet to me. Even the sugar-free Jello and pudding tasted sweet. I never thought I'd be able to conquer my sweet tooth, but the surgery has definitely helped.