Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't like the way I feel

Reading all of your posts takes me back to my first 2 months post op! It is the craziest thing with the heightened sense of smell and the nausea! Totally felt like a first trimester for sure! My family thought I was nuts! Everything tasted funny and smelled horrible! I would gag just thinking about it. I felt it was never going to end and that the rest of my life would be like that. My NUT insisted I would get through it and that at my 6 month appt with her, I would be a completely different person and feel back to "normal". SO TRUE!!! I am now 6 months out and have felt great and "normal" for the past 4 months. It will pass! The tastes, smells and nausea will change and get better! Hard not to linger on it and not think about it all day long but just go one day at a time and before you know it, it will all be over with.

1 hour ago, sarahblu said:

Reading all of your posts takes me back to my first 2 months post op! It is the craziest thing with the heightened sense of smell and the nausea! Totally felt like a first trimester for sure! My family thought I was nuts! Everything tasted funny and smelled horrible! I would gag just thinking about it. I felt it was never going to end and that the rest of my life would be like that. My NUT insisted I would get through it and that at my 6 month appt with her, I would be a completely different person and feel back to "normal". SO TRUE!!! I am now 6 months out and have felt great and "normal" for the past 4 months. It will pass! The tastes, smells and nausea will change and get better! Hard not to linger on it and not think about it all day long but just go one day at a time and before you know it, it will all be over with.

This is a great post, and so true! Once you work through your food stages (that was 2 months for me), the overall situation is much better. That being said, you have to be super conscious of what you eat forever, but the overall physical "yuckiness" goes away. Also, the fatigue was a real issue for me for 2 months post-op. I took 6 weeks of medical leave from work, and I still battled the fatigue for my first 2 weeks back. Between that, the physical healing in the first few weeks, working through the food stages, and the need to devote myself 100% to my Water and Protein goals, there is no way I could have gone back to work any sooner.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone seem extra sensitive to smells too? It seems like everyones breath smells like an ill combo of garlic and booze. Lol. This is exactly how I was in my 1st trimester. I swear I'm not pregnant! The wls totally triggered this, I just think its such a weird phenomenon. Am I alone? I also can't stand sugar free taste so it seems like I have a long road of hell in front of me [emoji20]

Oh yes 5 months out. Onions, eggs, my husband's cologne when he first sprays it and my favorite bath and body lotion. Ugg smells

My surgery was on March 6th. I felt sick for 4- 5'days but then I woke up one day and felt so much better. I'm still a little tired but im feeling better every day. And yes, I too have this insane heightened sense of smell. Drives me crazy...

On 3/19/2017 at 2:24 PM, allisongreen64 said:

I had my procedure on the 3/15. I'm feeling great and counting down the days to real food

Same here. 3/15 and I feel normal now. I feel like I am already ready for real food

On 3/19/2017 at 4:41 PM, elbee said:

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone seem extra sensitive to smells too? It seems like everyones breath smells like an ill combo of garlic and booze. Lol. This is exactly how I was in my 1st trimester. I swear I'm not pregnant! The wls totally triggered this, I just think its such a weird phenomenon. Am I alone? I also can't stand sugar free taste so it seems like I have a long road of hell in front of me :(

You know when you get pregnant and all of your body and hormones are out of whack and stuff happens???? I can only imagine your body and hormones are all out of whack now after a major surgery! 😊 Just like pregnancy, it's all temporary. Blessings to you hon! I hope you feel better soon.

I wanted to tell you all that I felt completely normal one week after surgery. Its hard to see the light when you're in the thick of it and nothing gives relief. Want everyone to know it will get better, some sooner than others but that may be related to healing. I've always been a fast healer (2 c-sections and this was nothing in comparison).

I can barely remember I had surgery. I feel so good that I'm really wanting to start eating again. 5 weeks of liquids is really tough. I need to trust my Dr and follow his protocol but I'm really wanting soft foods.

I can barely remember I had surgery. I feel so good that I'm really wanting to start eating again. 5 weeks of liquids is really tough. I need to trust my Dr and follow his protocol but I'm really wanting soft foods.

What's his reason for 5 weeks?

Sent from my LG-M210 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved 3/15, home from hospital on 3/17. Surgery went well no complications. Since friday I have felt this morning sickness type discomfort. I was on 3 different anti nausea meds in hospital, never vomited but heaved a few times. Haven't taken any prescribed zofran yet because I wanted to really feel what I really feel like post-op. If that makes sense. Anyway, the feeling is terrible any moms out there relate? I feel like I'm 12 weeks pregnant minus the fatigue. I haven't felt the urge to vomit just existing with this nauseated unwell feeling. Ive been meeting/exceeding my Water and Protein requirements. I used to be a savory craver but I can't stomach the thought of having anything except my Protein  shakes or something slightly sweet. Just like when I was pregnant. Will this get better? I'm so depressed.

It does get better. I was sleeved on 1/23/17, and remember feeling like I had morning sickness. The only time I felt okay is when I was asleep. I don't remember when I stopped feeling this way, but the feeling will pass and you'll start to feel better. Hang in there!

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone seem extra sensitive to smells too? It seems like everyones breath smells like an ill combo of garlic and booze. Lol. This is exactly how I was in my 1st trimester. I swear I'm not pregnant! The wls totally triggered this, I just think its such a weird phenomenon. Am I alone? I also can't stand sugar free taste so it seems like I have a long road of hell in front of me [emoji20]

I have an issue still with smells. It's like my sense of smell is heightened with the surgery. Not sure this will go away.

And for me, some food taste funny now like egg salad. So no, Im not surprised you find the smell repulsive. I cant handle the smell of A-1 steak sauce, ketchup and Peanut Butter but I will eat them. Except steak sauce.

Oh yes. My sense of smell went through the roof. I'm having the hardest time with it because I too am smelling what seems like booze and garlic on people and it makes my stomach turn

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using BariatricPal mobile app