Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 years out and still going!

St Patrick's Day was my surgery date so I'm always celebrating on this day. Today I finished a 4 Miler walk and I'm tired but logged more than 17,500 steps on my FitBit today. I often wonder how others I felt so much support from on this group. I'm down 95 lbs from my starting weight so that is great to still say but I've got about 40 lbs to get to the lowest weight I had achieved in 2010. At that point several things drove me back to some bad eating habits but I feel back in control now. Using WW for weekly accountability weigh ins.

I asked my surgeon why the lapband fell out of favor and he said slips and other reasons that many had been converted to gastric sleeve or RNY so he's glad I'm still working it!

Any of you convert from lapband to other procedure? Which did you choose and why?

Best wishes to all the Shrinking Shamrocks of March 2008!IMG_0124.JPG

Hi there, glad to hear you're doing well and congrats on all those steps!!
I converted from band to bypass on oct 3, 2016. My band slipped and cause almost daily vomiting, eventually the only thing I could eat were sliders. I lived like that for two years. Gain all the weight back slowly.
My revision surgery was the best thing I ever did. Almost all the regained weight is off in just 6 months. And of course no vomiting and stick foods. Personally I think bypass is a better tool then the band even when my band was working - just my opinion.
Happy belated St. Pat's to you!

16 minutes ago, thisisthenewme said:

My revision surgery was the best thing I ever did. Almost all the regained weight is off in just 6 months. And of course no vomiting and stick foods. Personally I think bypass is a better tool then the band even when my band was working - just my opinion.

Same here. MGB works so much better than the band for me (though in 2001 nobody even talked about MGB here in Germany). I wish I hadn't postponed revision for so long. Seems like I'm not the only one though.

Why in the world would you eat sliders for 2years before seeking help from your doctor I will be sticking to my diet because I only want this surgery one time only. I can't even understand if insurance would pay for it a second time, insurance is paying for everything except the nut classes which I paid 15.00 a month for six months.

Why in the world would you eat sliders for 2years before seeking help from your doctor I will be sticking to my diet because I only want this surgery one time only. I can't even understand if insurance would pay for it a second time, insurance is paying for everything except the nut classes which I paid 15.00 a month for six months.

Wow, maybe you should have read the part about the band had slipped out of position - it was causing daily vomiting. Or better yet not assume I'm an idiot and had not consulted my doctor. I was pregnant when it slipped, and the clinic I paid to put the dumb thing in went bankrupt a year before it slipped. No one would do anything for me till after the baby was born and then I had to wait, just like everyone else.

Wow, maybe you should have read the part about the band had slipped out of position - it was causing daily vomiting. Or better yet not assume I'm an idiot and had not consulted my doctor. I was pregnant when it slipped, and the clinic I paid to put the dumb thing in went bankrupt a year before it slipped. No one would do anything for me till after the baby was born and then I had to wait, just like everyone else.

So after wls of any kind your answer was to just eat sliders for two years? Not trying to be rude but you weren't pregnant for two years so you had time to go to the doctor especially if you were throwing up for two years. Just saying this is a prime example for anyone considering wls to keep in contact with their doctors and ask questions, or find a new doctor seems like a lot of excuses just to eat sliders.