Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a class 3 parosophogeal hiatal hernia and have been very sick, losing 25 lbs. I am on liquids and soft foods the consistency of "paste" and have been since Feb.21. I have received my first letter of insurance approval but must follow a 3 month supervised diet. I have not yet met my Bariatric Doctor but was referred to him by my initial surgeon who recommended fixing the large hernia and doing WLS at the same time. Has anyone else had this done? What is the recovery time like? Do you have to keep on the supervised diet even though already on a very restricted diet due to the hernia? I just completed an esophageal manommetry and endoscopy test . I was told my Bariatric Doctor's office would call in two weeks for appointments. It is so hard to wait as I've been feeling so sick for three months. Approximately how many visits are in each required section of prep- op appointments ( psychology , nutrition, medicine, surgery) thanks in advance from this newbie!

I had the bypass done and a hiatus hernia removed in the one operation, very little pain and was up and walking next morning

I had gastric bypass and hiatal hernia surgery on 3/20. My surgeon discovered the hernia while doing the bypass. The recommended post-op diet and physical activity limitations were as was already prescribed for the bypass.

Yes I had a hernia removed that was discovered during surgery. I stayed an extra day in hospital cause I was very drained an nauseated from surgery. The Drs had to give me extra anti nausea meds but on fourth day sent home and healed well. I followed the same diet plan as other gastric bypass patients. I had no pain except for gas pains which stopped after three days

I'm having this done April 10. I have a giant hiatal hernia which means my whole stomach is through the hernia. They're going to move it back where it should be and do the bypass in the same operation. Best of luck to you!

16 hours ago, jhope71 said:

I'm having this done April 10. I have a giant hiatal hernia which means my whole stomach is through the hernia. They're going to move it back where it should be and do the bypass in the same operation. Best of luck to you!

I found out my entire stomach is in my chest cavity as well. I am in the process of following the 3 month supervised diet and don't have a surgery date yet but hoping to find that out soon as this isn't very comfortable. Best wishes on your surgery!

I found out my entire stomach is in my chest cavity as well. I am in the process of following the 3 month supervised diet and don't have a surgery date yet but hoping to find that out soon as this isn't very comfortable. Best wishes on your surgery!

Best wishes to you, too! Glad to know there's someone else with a crazy stomach. I'll be glad to get rid of the bloating and gas and pain.

I had 2/3rds of my stomach in my chest due to a large hiatal hernia. My RNY surgery was done on 2/9/17. The surgery itself went very well and I had little to no pain other then lots of gas. Since the surgery I've had two strictures so the Dr had to dilate during an EGD. Yesterday they inserted a stint so I hopefully don't need more EGD'S. I have not made it past the purée stage yet.

Hope you are doing well now. I have my last appointment this coming week and I'm nervous. I guess it will be a waiting game with the insurance decision then.