Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1. I am a 69 year old male, 5'7", weighing in at 325 lbs., and will soon be getting either a DS or a Loop DS. It is my hope to be able to eat 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day within a year or so of my surgery. I understand that the DS is a more complicated procedure than the Loop DS, and that operative and post-operative complications are a bit higher because of that. I know that with the DS there will be more malabsorption of nutrients and that I will have to be on a stricter nutrient regimen. I have seen blogs that where DS patients have been able to eat pretty well down the road without regaining back weight. I would like to be able to enjoy eating almost as I did before, and to be able to eat my favorite foods of simple carbs such as ice cream, bread, pasta, potatoes, pizza and the like without regaining lost weight. Have any of you Loop DSers had that kind of experience. Am I expecting too much? - even with getting a DS?
  2. d
  3. s

Edited by Dan1214
decapitilzing Pasta. and grammer

HI.

If you get a regular DS and eat tons of carbs:

1. You can regain;

2. You're likely to have stool and/or gas issues. Carbs cause smells most wouldn't like to have often in public.

The beauty of the DS is no counting calories & constant eating (if you wish). I eat every 2 hours or so. But it's Protein. For instance, my lunch today was a Wendy Triple Burger with catsup and cheese. It took 2 sittings to eat it, but I did. However, I didn't eat the bun bc:

a. I wouldn't have a lot of room for the protein;

b. I'd stink up my workspace.

As a female, I do eat carbs and sweets. But at home and only a couple of times a week. Others I know have some Cookies or chocolate everyday. You have to see how you do.

As a male, the odds are you'll be able to eat more and lose more than most females. Probably even more carbs and not gain a ton. But you probably would gain some and then there's that stink....

Hi. I had the one loop DS in December 2013. I went from 268 to 115. I have maintained my weight. I follow the food regimen of a person who had the traditional DS. I only eat Protein and i don't eat sugar, Pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread, corn or anything high in carbs. So far so good.

Hi. I had the one loop DS in December 2013. I went from 268 to 115. I have maintained my weight. I follow the food regimen of a person who had the traditional DS. I only eat Protein and i don't eat sugar, Pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread, corn or anything high in carbs. So far so good.

I had the revision from the sleeve to the DS loop. It’s been four weeks and I haven’t lost anything but 14 pounds the first week 1/2. I’m starting to get a little concerned that my weights not moving. Any advice?

On 12/11/2017 at 7:05 PM, pattivalvo said:

I had the revision from the sleeve to the DS loop. It’s been four weeks and I haven’t lost anything but 14 pounds the first week 1/2. I’m starting to get a little concerned that my weights not moving. Any advice?

I have Loop DS planned for March 12. I am concerned what dsfacts.com has to say about it. I will talk to my surgeon.

I had the loop ds on June 2nd, 2017. Started out at 338 lbs., height 5'6''. I no longer enjoy food like I used to. I often skip meals, and when I do eat, I eat much healthier and, of course, much less than I did before. Not drinking as much as I should be either. Taking both stool softeners and generic Miralax to help with Constipation. I now weigh 197 lbs. I lost 141 lbs. in a little over 8 months. I've not done any exercises either. All and all, I am pleased with the results. Good luck with your surgery and weight loss.

I had the traditional DS on June 9, 2017 at a surgery weight of 235, height 5'4". I'm now down to 167 pounds and losing much slower than at first. However, the weight is still coming off. I have to limit my carbs or, just as a previous person stated, I get voluminous gas and my kids want to slap me. I think every weight loss patient needs to change his/her mindset about food or the weight will just come back on. Weight loss surgery isn't magic. The patient has to make permanent changes. I eat enough that I still enjoy food, but the amount I eat is much, much less and I'm still satisfied. That's what makes the surgery effective.

Edited by Strivingforbetter