Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have several friends that have already had surgery and I am so close to getting all my approvals back and setting the date...(I can't wait)

I've been really good without much exception in following my diet and doing all that my team has asked of me. I quit smoking cold turkey on Jan 1st. I gave up sodas and caffeine (gosh I miss my starbucks)...butit really hasn't been too difficult.

My friend tells me that if I don't have a food funeral that I am risking slipping back after the surgery... that it is better to pick day and eat a little off all the things I will miss and say goodbye to them rather than deprive myself and freak out somewhere after the surgery.

I have mixed feelings about it... as I would really like to have the things... but I also don't want to curb my momentum and sabotage myself when I am so close to my surgery...and I have worked so hard for it..

has anyone else been here?

My nut said for me not to go hog wild and eat everything I like because for some it could do more harm than good. Just keep doing and eating like you have been. She said down the road you will be able to eat what you like but in smaller quantities and some of your tastes my change to where you don't like to eat them anymore.that's why I am on a 4 week opti fast diet before surgery. It helps your body to get use to eating several times a day with small quantities, I will be having I Protein Bar , 1 Soup, 2 shakes and for my one main meal, 3-4 oz. Lean meat with vegs, fruit. This will be my diet for 4 weeks starting Saturday. I did go yesterday and had one last cheeseburger at mcd's. I will also miss my coffee once I have surgery, but will be able to have it again.

Take comfort in the fact that after a while, you won't even remember what your "last meal" was. Or if you do remember, you will look back on it and shake your head wondering why that food seemed so important at the time. I think back to the biscuits and gravy and shudder at the amount of fat I used to eat every weekend. I tried it about a year out, just not what I remembered. It was pretty gross actually.

Thank you both for responding. Like everything that I am leaving behind... being alive is more important to me and I didn't make this decision lightly. I try to keep that in my mind and frankly it's a little exciting to try new foods and flavors and find healthier way to make "old favorites"

I know I will get thru this... thanks for the encouragement!

I was sleeved a year and a half ago. There is nothing I can't eat that I ate before. Oh yeah, I cannot eat more than 8 ounces of anything!

You'll never be deprived of a "taste", so there's no reason for a food funeral.

Now, if you're wanting a pig out overeatingathon - what good will that do?

1 minute ago, Cape Crooner said:

I was sleeved a year and a half ago. There is nothing I can't eat that I ate before. Oh yeah, I cannot eat more than 8 ounces of anything!

You'll never be deprived of a "taste", so there's no reason for a food funeral.

Now, if you're wanting a pig out overeatingathon - what good will that do?

Naw, I've never been much of an over eater... my doctor said I actually ate to little and then the wrong things when I would eat!

I have several friends that have had WLS and for instance one was never able to enjoy dairy again... she doesn't miss it because it makes her ill.. but she remembers loving it.

I want to be successful!.. and so I will be. But it's in my nature to worry and question and since a friend of mine was making such a big to-do about it I figured I would ask and get some opinions! Thank you for responding & congrats on your successes :)

On 3/13/2017 at 3:57 PM, BigViffer said:

Take comfort in the fact that after a while, you won't even remember what your "last meal" was. Or if you do remember, you will look back on it and shake your head wondering why that food seemed so important at the time. I think back to the biscuits and gravy and shudder at the amount of fat I used to eat every weekend. I tried it about a year out, just not what I remembered. It was pretty gross actually.

This is so true… for awhile after surgery, I obsessed about what I could eat and when, but after a routine kicked in, I did not miss a thing… I ate some of my faves before I started my 2-week liquid diet, but can't even remember what it was now… I was unprepared for how much the surgery would change me mentally, how it makes you not desire what you used to crave… Best of luck to you, @cruelirony!

Take comfort in the fact that after a while, you won't even remember what your "last meal" was. Or if you do remember, you will look back on it and [mention=314994]cruelirony[/mention]!

I agree. I big part of this process is "forgetting" all our old bad habits and building new ones as we emerge from a successful weight loss. Time is the only way to do this.

Truth be told, the post op through goal attainment point diet is much easier than maintenance.

The more time that passes between your old eating habits and your new eating habits,?the better!

I started my journey a couple years ago with switching to doing rounds of Whole30, Paleo, and low carb versions of the two ways of eating and learned to view those 'junk' foods as not being real food, but food-like items. It helped a great deal in the process of weaning myself from them and has also improved my taste buds a great deal. Now that I'm getting closer to surgery, I don't feel the need to consume those things, as they aren't real food and I'm no longer emotionally attached to them. I'll miss salads, since many have said that's the last thing they were able to tolerate, so have been enjoying a few of those a week.

Most food is not gone forever, our ability to eat these things will return for the most part, it will just be whatever doesn't give us dumping syndrome and things will be in smaller amounts. It will still be up to us to decide if we want to make the better choice or not.