Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am I crazy for considering surgery

Thank you for posting your opinion. My husband fully supports whatever decision I make and that helps so much. I am going to check into Dr. Illan because I have read so many good things about him and his team. Have you chosen a Dr. yet?

Yes, I have chose Dr. Illan. I can't wait to get out of this cycle of losing and re-gaining!
It makes a big difference having that support system. I wish you the best [emoji846]

1 minute ago, lnaj59 said:

Yes, I have chose Dr. Illan. I can't wait to get out of this cycle of losing and re-gaining!
It makes a big difference having that support system. I wish you the best emoji846.png

I agree. I am really hopeful that my diabetes will go into remission if I have the surgery.

Do you have a date yet for your surgery?

43 minutes ago, IveGotThePower said:

You're not crazy. And just to throw this out there, I also lost about 30 something lbs on my last ditch effort to do this without surgery. Then I too gained it all back plus 10 lbs. So, hope you don't, but if you're like many of us, you may gain that weight back and qualify for surgery whether you try or not. Truly not trying to be pessimistic, but it is a hard battle we fight. I agree with what James said about diabetes being helped by bypass. I have read that many times and that it depends on how long you had it before surgery and how bad it was. I did the sleeve and did not have diabetes (yet). But give the surgery some serious consideration. My advice would be to do your research. I was nothing short of obsessive for at least 6 months before surgery. Read 3 books, plus recipe books, spent a LOT of time reading on this site, looked up every statistic I could find from reputable sites. Found a great program with really great people (support group, nutritionist and a very qualified surgeon). Went to the support group and informational meetings before surgery. I needed to feel comfortable about my decision and I did. And I am so grateful that I was able to have the surgery. The very best to you in your journey.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I have no doubt that given enough time I will gain the weight back. That has been the case for over 4 years now. That is one of the reasons I don't want to wait too long. I want to get this done while I still have the momentum going in the right direction so to speak. I have already started to see a pound or 2 creeping back... it is so frustrating!!

I don't think I would want to go to Mexico, but that is just me.
My wife has friends from work that have gone to Mexico and have been fine.
My insurance should approve mine, based on my absurd BMI and comorbidites.
If I didn't have insurance I might consider Mexico, but I would definitely do a lot of research before I chose a doctor in Mexico.
Good luck to you.

Many of us could not loose the weight before surgery. I know I could loose a little bit if I disregarded the rest of my life and spent all of my time obsessing over every ounce of food and working out for 1.5 hours most nights. But that isn't a reality that is sustainable for me or for most people. And the weight never stayed off. I am learning how to have a good relationship with food and a good food/life balance. Surgery is just one piece of the puzzle. But it is a really powerful piece. The other pieces are nutrition counseling and support both here and at groups sessions and thought and planning when doing meal preparation. Now that I'm approaching 1 year, I find I have to be a bit more diligent than before since the portions and snacking can creep up on you quickly. It is still work. You have to work at it. But give yourself all the tools you possibly can to succeed. You deserve to have a healthy life. It is scary. But the potential benefits are so great, that you would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't educate yourself fully to make the best possible decision for you. One last thing. You may already know this, but wls induces many physiological changes in your body. From changing the way 5,500 genes react, gut microbes, white blood cells (which also affect metabolism) and neuron changes as well. Found this article last week. 2/3 of the way down there is a section on the "Set Point". I found this to be very interesting. I knew some of it, but not all of it. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/health/bariatric-surgery.html?_r=0

I'm going to Mexico to the OCC. I did my homework and am ready. The closest I could get the surgery done in Canada is just as far as Mexico. The Occ has been on doctor Oz and Oprah and I've researched it a lot and feel even more confident than going to Toronto (for me ). My BMI is 31 as well. Just research , theres a Mexican sleeved sight here too. There's horror stories for every doctor ,everywhere. good Luck!

Have you seen a bariatric surgeon yet? (That wasn't clear to me from your post.) If not, do so. If so, when they apply for the insurance, they can appeal. In many cases, insurance companies say no up front assuming you won't appeal. When your doc asks for a review by another physician who is certified in the same field, the determination usually changes. (I used to represent insurance companies - I know.)

I wouldn't take a face value what the phone rep says -- I would speak with a surgeon who is covered by your plan and see what kind of success they have had appealing decisions with your carrier in your area.

BTW - I had VSG 6.5 months ago. I'm down 80+ pounds and within 40 pounds of goal. I feel like a new person. Best of luck on your journey.

thank you everyone for your advice. I have not met with a surgeon in the states. My insurance will not cover the cost and I am still in the process of researching and deciding if going to Mexico is something I want to pursue, I have contacted Bill Yanez and I am waiting to hear back about whether I would be a candidate and to get more information. I am ready to move forward and make a change. I purchased the book "The Big Book on Gastric Sleeve" so I could begin to absorb everything I can.

Well after much discussion with my husband and with Stacie from Bariactric Pal I have scheduled my surgery. I will be getting the sleeve on May 15th. So i have 2 months to get prepared for the most important thing I have ever done for my health.

I am scared, excited, and anxious all rolled up together. A big thank you to all who have responded and offered me advice.

Well after much discussion with my husband and with Stacie from Bariactric Pal I have scheduled my surgery. I will be getting the sleeve on May 15th. So i have 2 months to get prepared for the most important thing I have ever done for my health.
I am scared, excited, and anxious all rolled up together. A big thank you to all who have responded and offered me advice.

That's exciting that you're getting it done. I'll be getting mine done in Mexico on May 18th. I'm glad you feel comfortable with your decision and made it based off what's best for you!

23 hours ago, Apple1 said:

thank you everyone for your advice. I have not met with a surgeon in the states. My insurance will not cover the cost and I am still in the process of researching and deciding if going to Mexico is something I want to pursue, I have contacted Bill Yanez and I am waiting to hear back about whether I would be a candidate and to get more information. I am ready to move forward and make a change. I purchased the book "The Big Book on Gastric Sleeve" so I could begin to absorb everything I can.

Where did you decide on going?

36 minutes ago, Please said:

Where did you decide on going?

I am going to have Dr. Illan at the Oasis of Hope hospital.

@Apple1 good for you ! Inhear a lot of satisfied people talk about him.

I see you are 5'9" and 230lbs. I personally would not choose the surgery at that weight, but that is only my opinion.

Having said that, if you can't get your diabetes under control then it may be your best bet.

As far as having surgery in Mexico, I would just do my due diligence in checking out the reviews of the doctor. Ultimately as long as you are comfortable with the surgeon you should be fine whether in Mexico or in the US. It may however be a bit of an issue with the surgeon in Mexico as you will most likely not be following up with them as you would here in the US, but you can always go to a US surgeon afterwards for follow-up.