Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am I crazy for considering surgery

6 minutes ago, ceow said:

I don't think Mexico is a good choice. If your insurance has ceased, you can call around to different offices and see if they give a self-pay price. I worked in a doc office for many years. We offered a lower price on everything for non-insured. If you find one, next?, I would ask about payments and what had to be paid up front. I hope some of this helps.

Thanks for your comments, but if you read the thread you would know that I have already decided to go to Mexico for my surgery. I did my research and found an excellent surgeon. My surgery will be May 15th.

I am confident that I have made the best choice for me. I am looking forward to reclaiming my health and eventually maintaining a healthy weight.

Mexico is a great choice. I'm living witness. You get better hospital care, longer stay, the doctors, nurses, and staff are more attentive and they make sure you are doing well.

Going to Mexico to have my surgery was one of the best choices I have ever made. You are in wonderful hands!!

8 hours ago, GBLady41 said:

Mexico is a great choice. I'm living witness. You get better hospital care, longer stay, the doctors, nurses, and staff are more attentive and they make sure you are doing well.

Going to Mexico to have my surgery was one of the best choices I have ever made. You are in wonderful hands!!

Thank you so much for affirming my decision. I will be on a plane this time tomorrow headed to San Diego for surgery Monday morning. I will update this thread with my experiences as I am able.

Edited by Apple1

On 5/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, Apple1 said:

Thank you so much for affirming my decision. I will be on a plane this time tomorrow headed to San Diego for surgery Monday morning. I will update this thread with my experiences as I am able.

Good luck! I am planning to go early July. Can't wait to hear your view on your stay and progress.

I had a GREAT experience with WLS in Tijuana. I definitely got better care than in a US hospital and my surgeon (Dr Ramos Kelly) visited me twice a day in the hospital and once a day in the hotel where I went to recuperate for a couple more days after being discharged. I've also kept in contact with him since I've returned home and he continues to answer questions and provide guidance.

My insurance would not cover surgery for me and the cost for self-pay in the US was astronomical so that was not an option. Medical Tourism is very important to Mexico so the assumption by folks that it is unsafe is unfounded and shows your lack of current and accurate knowledge of the industry. On this website, if 1 person shares a complication, many immediately blame all medicine in Mexico. And yet the majority of complications we read about are happening to patients who have surgery in the US - so that same mindset should make people afraid of surgery in the US. Crazy how your bias can skew your perception of reality?! My point is Mexico can be a very safe and affordable option for people who aren't lucky enough to have the right insurance.

Thank you @MarinaGirl for sharing your experience. I am in Mexico now relaxing in my hotel room with my husband. Everyone with Bariactric Pal team Mx has been very nice so far. our valet Luis is bringing me so homemade broth and a traditional Mexican meal for my husband. We will take a nap and he will come back later and take us for a little tour of Tijuna.

I will try and update tomorrow evening after my surgery.

@Apple1: Good luck with surgery tomorrow!!

I loved the chicken broth at Hotel Lucerna, where I stayed after surgery. I squeezed fresh lime juice in it, which made it even yummier! I also went on a tour of TJ the afternoon before surgery and that was a good distraction. All the best!!

Edited by MarinaGirl

I know your feelings..I am going to the Prado center in tj mexico. I can't afford the other prices, I am tired all the time I have brain fog every day while trying to work and I find myself not even eating most days and I am getting fatter and fatter. I am so desperate the doctors here tell me...go to the gym eat right oh there is nothing wrong with you...I know something is wrong, I can't get too much heavier I will not be able to do my job. Uggh

I'm excited for you!! [emoji2]

Today is the day. I will be leaving for the Oasis of Hope hospital at 8:30. I have been awake since 5:00. I am surprisingly calm right now. I am ready to start this journey to reclaiming my health. See you all on the losers bench!!

Today is the day. I will be leaving for the Oasis of Hope hospital at 8:30. I have been awake since 5:00. I am surprisingly calm right now. I am ready to start this journey to reclaiming my health. See you all on the losers bench!!

You will do amazing!!!
Hugs & prayers!
FYI - 10 days!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Today I am three days post op and I wanted to come back to this thread , my first on this sight, and answer my own question. No I was not crazy for considering surgery and having it done in Mexico with Bariactric Pal.

My experience thus far has been amazing. Everyone has been very nice and has taken such good care of my husband and I. I am feeling better everyday and I know I made the best decision. I have not taken any of my medication for type 2 diabetes and my bs has been completely normal so far.

I'm so happy for you!!!

On 3/13/2017 at 7:51 AM, SweetPeaGracie said:

I had my surgery in Mexico 3 weeks ago and had a awesome experience. No complications and I am down 22 lbs so far. I paid 4395.00 for the gastric sleeve.

Who did you use for your surgery?