Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am I crazy for considering surgery

On 3/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, Apple1 said:

Thank you for your comments and advice. I have spent the last 8 years thinking I didn't need WLS and I never even considered it.

I was always the tall skinny girl, never had to worry about what I ate. I was 130 lbs when I graduated high school and settled out at 145-160 after having my children. Then when I hit 39 I just started gaining weight like crazy. I had un- diagnosed thyroid problems for many years. I became fatigued, lethargic, started losing my hair, and could not lose any weight.

At my highest weight I was 255 and miserable. I developed plantar fasciitis in both feet and was walking like someone 30 years older when I got out of bed in the morning. Three years ago I developed type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol to add to my list of health issues.

I think my body does not do well with this extra weight. Some people can be obese and not have many issues... I am not that person. I have had complications with my diabetes already, my eyesight is getting worse, my feet have been numb, and I don't want to be insulin dependent.

My mom passed away last October from a massive stroke. She was overweight, had HBP, and diabetes. I don't want to continue down that path. I have wasted nearly all of my forties trying to get back to a healthy weight, and I will be 49 in August. I have promised myself that I will get to my goal weight before I turn 50. I am so ready to give my body a break and get healthy again.

I'm so sorry bout your mom. I definitely understand how you feel regarding medical issues and age.

18 minutes ago, Sweet as peaches said:

I purchased that book and it is a great read. My surgery is also on the 15 of May.

Are you having your surgery with Dr. Illan? We such keep in touch!

13 minutes ago, Sweet as peaches said:

I'm so sorry bout your mom. I definitely understand how you feel regarding medical issues and age.

Thank you.

Regardless of where you go for surgery, I highly encourage that you go for it. I was borderline diabetic, had sleep apnea, arthritis pain, severe reflux and miserable with my weight but had the surgery and I've become a new woman. Everything now is under control and I take no medications other than the protonix for acid. The restriction makes you rethink your eating chioces and the weight loss just makes you feel so darn good. Go for it but do your research first.

Color me satisfied.

All of the replies on this topic have inspired me to make my latest video based on real life events. Probably the hardest video I have had to make to date since its so personal and hits close to home. You are not crazy for considering taking some form of action, you're crazy for NOT taking some form of action.

Thanks for the video jerseyjules. One important motivation for me are my grandchildren. I want to be here for them. This cutie pie keeps me on my toes and I need to be healthy and in shape. I want to set a good example.

IMG_0022.JPG

Edited by Apple1

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

Thanks for the video jerseyjules. One important motivation for me are my grandchildren. I want to be here for them. This cutie pie keeps me on my toes and I need to be healthy and in shape. I want to set a good example.

IMG_0022.JPG

He is a cutie pie

I should have mentioned she is a cutie. I know it is hard to tell at this age.

Regardless of where you go for surgery, I highly encourage that you go for it. I was borderline diabetic, had sleep apnea, arthritis pain, severe reflux and miserable with my weight but had the surgery and I've become a new woman. Everything now is under control and I take no medications other than the protonix for acid. The restriction makes you rethink your eating chioces and the weight loss just makes you feel so darn good. Go for it but do your research first.
Color me satisfied.

This is exactly how I feel.
I have HBP, sleep apnea, Fatty Liver Disease, depression, chronic fatigue, chronic back and knee pain. My body simply can't handle the weight.
I am 38 years old and have a 5 year old and a 3 year old.
I have to get the weight off before it kills me.
My surgery will hopefully be late July or early August.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

16 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I should have mentioned she is a cutie. I know it is hard to tell at this age.

I'm so sorry. I noticed the pink hearts after I sent the message. She is a cutie pie. Just wanting to be picked up and be kissed all day while she giggles. A total reason to get healthy to watch them grow. it is my reasoning behind my surgery my preteen baby.

10 minutes ago, Sweet as peaches said:

I'm so sorry. I noticed the pink hearts after I sent the message. She is a cutie pie. Just wanting to be picked up and be kissed all day while she giggles. A total reason to get healthy to watch them grow. it is my reasoning behind my surgery my preteen baby.

It is fine. She is such a joy always smiling and ready to play. I have always said the best benefit to having kids are the grandchildren you get to enjoy later.

It is a decision that takes you back and forth... I took this journey in November/2015 after researching all options. It can be a stressful roller coaster in itself. I am 6 months out (gastric sleeve) on the 9th and I can say it is working for me. I was on 4 medications and now only on my Multivitamins and calcium chews :D... It may not be easy to decide but you are in the right direction in doing your research and having your doctor to give you resources is also a great move. I am sure with you being health conscious about you..you will make the right decision! Good Luck and keep us updated.:)

You're crazy for NOT considering surgery if you are obese and have tried all other options with little to no success.

This is my first post. I will try not to write a book. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.
I have been researching the gastric sleeve surgery for a while now. At my last doctor appointment in December, with my endocrinologist, he suggested that it could be an option for me because I have uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. To be honest I dismissed it right away because I was embarrassed that I would even qualify for weight loss surgery. At that time I weighed 248 BMI 36.5 and my A!C was 11.2. Since then I have been doing my best to eat low carb and get my diabetes under control. I also have hashimotos thyroid and this makes losing weight even harder. I have managed to lose 22 pounds in the past 4 months and have hit a wall. I always hit a wall and I am tired of being frustrated. I have lost and gained the same 25-30 pounds for the past 6 years and added dealing with type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. I am already taking metformin and Victoza and my doctor said if I can't get my A1c down insulin is my nest step. My ideal weight is 145 and I feel like I will never get there on my own.
Am I crazy to be thinking about going to Mexico to have gastric sleeve surgery? My current BMI is 32 with the 22 pounds I lost so my insurance won't cover the surgery. They said I have to have at least 35 BMI and then with my type 2 they would approve me. I am not going to gain weight just to qualify for surgery. I have made some progress on my own, but I really want the help that this surgery could give me as well as the likely-hood that my diabetes would improve greatly.

I am looking for advice from anyone in a similar situation that chose surgery. Are you happy with your decision?
Thank you.

I don't think Mexico is a good choice. If your insurance has ceased, you can call around to different offices and see if they give a self-pay price. I worked in a doc office for many years. We offered a lower price on everything for non-insured. If you find one, next?, I would ask about payments and what had to be paid up front. I hope some of this helps.