Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 2017 60'ish sleever's out there?

I had my surgery 8/12 and I am 73. I am doing okay now, but had a few rough weeks, mostly with nausea. I saw my NUT yesterday and told her I was having a hard time getting all the liquid in, I mostly get about 40 to 50 ounces in a day. She said that if you are drinking the Protein Shakes, that includes as your liquid too. I never thought about that! I am still kinda weak, but I was pretty sedate before my surgery, so I think I just have to try and gradually get my strength back. I have lost 28 lbs since my surgery. Yes!!!

Congratulations on your loss. I think when you are sedated it takes longer to get our strength back after surgery,the older we get. My son had sleeve surgery a week after me, he's lost almost 50lbs. He's not feeling as well as me.

I'm 60 and was sleeved on 8/31. So far I've lost 22lbs. My main objective for the surgery was to get off of as many meds as I could. I wanted to protect my organs long term from the effects of the meds I was taking. The day I left the hospital, Dr discontinued all of my diabetes meds(four total) the next week my BP med dosage was halved and one med of the two meds I was taking for cholesterol was also discontinued. I still need my acid reflux med since I find I still get heart burn despite eating a lot less and eating foods that don't tend to promote heartburn. As for getting my Protein in, Dr. says eat till I get full and don't force yourself. I eat my two ounces of puree and that seems to do it for me. I do three shakes a day with 23 grams per 8oz shake (Matrix made by syntrax) I bought a stackable shake bottle on ebay. It has two compartments. One for the shake mix the other for my pills. I went to the dollar store and bought 2oz containers with lids to portion out my food. I started pureeing everything just to see if I could tolerate the taste. It seems when the food is pureed I tend to like the taste better. Example, I never ate sardines but when I pureed them they tasted better and they are a good source of protein. I couldn't tolerate the taste of the commercial broths so my wife makes mine fresh. She puts the broth in the fridge to let any fat from the chicken used to make the stock harden. She takes that out and the broth is practically fat free and much tastier. I puree the chicken she made the broth with as an added meal. I live in a highrise building and as part of my excercise I walk up the stairs. I'm up to five flights so far each day. Reading the posts of people in our 60's it does seem we lose weight at lesser rate than those that are younger. As long as I can continue to lose the meds (which means my ailments are under control) I'm a happy camper. Good luck and good health to all.

I’m down 32lbs since I started. Went to drs yesterday, she said I’m about 4lbs off from where they would have me, but being a revision and older and a woman I’m doing great. We tweaked my diet alittle and chatted about more exercise. My surgery date was 8-2-17. Hope everyone is doing well

Hi Danny I had my surgery on 7/19 I am down 42 LB I will be 66 next month. I also am off blood pressure medicine taking a diuretic when needed. I do find the weight loss slow down a little bit because of my age and I just have to move more. I have really severe arthritis and at times it's really painful to keep moving but I am walking everyday. Congratulations on your weight loss you are doing awesome keep up the wonderful work.

I’m down 32lbs since I started. Went to drs yesterday, she said I’m about 4lbs off from where they would have me, but being a revision and older and a woman I’m doing great. We tweaked my diet alittle and chatted about more exercise. My surgery date was 8-2-17. Hope everyone is doing well

I'm 60 yrs old and was sleeved on 8/2 as well, have had nearly the same amount of wait loss , I'm at 34.5 and dr said it was bout right for my age it definitely that's us a little longer than younger people .

Skparks. Haven’t met any one with the same date. I’m 65, my son had the sleeve done 5 days after me. He keeps telling me not to compare us. I try not to. I am feeling better than him. He seems to be having hot flashes, so he gets alittle nauseous. How’s the eating going.? I’m having the most trouble with the Vitamins. Hope all is well. Bonnie

Skparks. Haven’t met any one with the same date. I’m 65, my son had the sleeve done 5 days after me. He keeps telling me not to compare us. I try not to. I am feeling better than him. He seems to be having hot flashes, so he gets alittle nauseous. How’s the eating going.? I’m having the most trouble with the Vitamins. Hope all is well. Bonnie

Hi Bonnie !

Eating is going pretty good, I get up some mornings with a headache and some nausea is about the only issue unless I don't follow my guidelines !!

Shelia

Niseys4, what are you eating on the pureed diet? My list includes yogurt, scrambled eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, cottage cheese--everything except the yogurt pureed, of course. But these all contain Protein. I'd also suggest protein water--I personally think it's much better than the shakes and it does double duty, giving you both protein and Water. My list includes vegetables and very limited fruit, but the mandate is always to get your water and protein first . . .

Thank you for your encouraging comment about the sex drive.
For pureed food I just puree whever is good for dinner! Breakfast & lunch is usually my Protein Shakes. For my Snacks I chew scrambled or poached eggs with turkey sausage. But if im away from home & get hungry I'll go buy some low sugar baby food!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app