Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Georgia

Hi everyone! My name is Pamela and I am 27 years old. Oddly enough, I was very thin through most of my teenage years, and very athletic. I played a lot of sports in high school. As I got closer to my senior year, I noticed that I was putting on a little weight. I didn't think much about it at the time.

About a year after I graduated, I got married to my high school sweetheart. By that time I had gained over 50 lbs and was at about 200 lbs. I was very concerned about how fast the weight came on. I was also having some female problems too. I went to my doctor and he did several test on me to find out if anything was wrong and the results shocked me! He diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I had never heard of this before. He told me it was a hormonal disorder and one of the side effects was weight gain. He also told me that I would probably have trouble getting pregnant. My heart dropped when i heard this. I always thought when i was ready i would just be able to have a baby. It took 6 years before we were able to get pregnant and by the grace of God we now have a beautiful, healthy boy.

I've tried every diet there is, I think, and nothing ever worked for me. I was 330lbs at my heaviest. I have been blessed with the opportunity to get the band. I've been banded for about 10 days and i am doing great. I am sooo excited about the journey ahead. I lost 13 lbs on the pre-op diet and have lost 16 lbs since my surgery. I know i rambled but i just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone else has PCOS that has been banded and can tell me about your experience. Thanks for listening!

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

330/299/150

:rose:

Hi Georgia Girl!

I too have PCOS. I'm not banded yet but when I talked to my surgeon about it, he said in his experience most women with PCOS start ovulating after a loss of about 50lbs. Of course I was totally excited about this. My hubby and I have been trying to get preg. for about a year with no luck. He did request that I start back on BC again because he'd rather I waited until I've been banded for at least 12-18 months before we start trying again. Just to give the body time to heal and adjust to my smaller stomach.

What did your surgeons say about it?

dream'n2bthin, thanks for your reply. My surgeon recommended that i also go back on BC, which is fine because i really want to lose a lot of weight before i have another baby so i can have a healthier pregnancy. Hope everything goes great for you! Keep me posted!

Pamela :rose:

Banded 9-20-07

330/299/150

Hi Georgia Girl,

Congratulations on your weight loss. I am in Atlanta and hoping to be banded soon. My info was just submitted to BCBS on Friday, so i am keeping my fingers cross. Where in Georgia do you live?

Hi Buttercup76!

Thanks! I live in small town called Moultrie. I have BCBS (Federal) insurance and I didn't have any problem getting approved. Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Keep me posted!;)

Pamlea

330/299/150

-31lbs :whoo:

hey Pamela. I think my surgery is going to be on the 19th at least according to the letter I got from the insurance co yesterday. I'm calling the surgeons off Monday to confirm.

I have BCBS federal too. Isn't it great! I didn't have any problems getting approved with them either. I think, after reading some of the problems people have had on this website, we're the lucky ones. Hey did they approve for you to stay several nights in hospital? According to my letter I'm approved for "inpatient acute" care from the 19th - 22nd. Just curious.

Oh and I've been to Moultrie many many times. I'm actually from Jacksonville, FL. I just moved to TX with my hubby a few months ago.

Keep up the great work. 31 lbs That's awesome! :clap2:

Buttercup76 - good luck with you approval process. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!;)

Pennie

I have a friend in Albany, GA. !!

What a blessing having a son!

Your ailment isn't familiar to me.....I did have polyps on my ovaries and in the uterus...?

I too was active in my youth....I thnk puberty plays a large part in our size.

Good for you getting banded and changing your life for the better....

Take care and keep writing!

Carol

Hey Pamela! Congrads on the newly banded life! I too have PCOS but am just getting into my 2nd month of the 6 month supervised diet required by BCBS of AL. I was reading some paperwork from the surgeon I've chosen and it says bariatic surgery results in helping 79% of hirsutism and 100% resolution of menstrual dysfunction. That just made me smile!! Keep us updated on how it affects your PCOS. I've been diagnosed for about 3 years but just not finding a OB that will help me with it. I've been on Metformin for 2 months now and looking forward to being able to call PCOS a thing of my past after banding and loosing weight.

Thanks for all your replys!

Pennie- Thanks for the encouraging words. If I had the option to stay in the hospital, I was not aware of it. But thats great that you can. I was blessed to have such a great experience with my surgery. Keep me posted!

Carol- I'm only about 45 minutes from albany. I wanted to ask you if you have been banded? How Long? It's so encouraging to hear of other peoples success!

Wendy- Thanks for all the great info. It's encouraging to know that some of the side effects will get better. I know this 6 month diet is going to be hard and long, but one day you'll look back and know that it was all worth it. Keep up the good work and keep me posted!

You all have a great evening!

Pamela

330/299/150

Banded 9-20-07

Hi again, again....

no, not banded yet....first appt. for consult is the 19th.

More info in the 'introduction' area of this site.

Carol

Pamela, where in Ga did you have the surgery done and who was the surgeon?

Hi SGHATL,

Are you in Atlanta? If so, where are you having your surgery done and who is your surgeon? My Surgeon is Dr. Edward Lin with Emory. Hoping to be banded soon.