Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else experience contempt from others about their weight loss? I get so tired of some friends and family saying the only reason I lost weight is the surgery. They look at me with contempt when I say I'm dieting and exercising. They act like I took the easy way out by surgery. I have a family member who likes to remind me that I'd weigh 400 pounds now if i didn't have the surgery...wth!! I exercise 5 times a week and have been since 4 months post op and I eat fairly healthy nothing too strict but I watch what I eat during week so I can take a break on weekends. I'm slowly losing my last 10 pounds. But I hate people rolling their eyes at me and making snide comments...I know it's their issue and I have to not let it but me but I wish I hadn't said anything to people and just said I was getting gallbladder surgery! Especially now I'm a size 10 on way to an 8 far from my size 22.

Just remember that their comments are coming from a place of jealousy.

You can take this as a life lesson and an opportunity. These are the very people you can safely exclude from your life from this point forward. The best revenge is to be happy. Show them that their opinion means nothing to you. You won't just be able to say they don't mean anything to you, you have to remove them from your life. Otherwise they will eventually sabotage you. Not just in your weight loss, but at anything that makes your life happier than theirs.

The reality is the surgery DID get you where you are today.

It's sort of like a mechanic staring at a bunch of metal parts laid out on the ground that used to be a transmission. If someone comes up and says to the mechanic, " Did you do this? " He says "Yes" And then they point to the wrench, and say, "but you didn't do it by yourself". It would be ridiculous. Would the mechanic get all huffy? Maybe. but it would just be as productive for him to say, yes, I did use the wrench, and it sure helped!

The truth is, there is a 98% chance that indeed, without the surgery you would be 300lbs. Own it, be proud that you got the help you needed, and that gives them zero fuel against you.

Does anyone else experience contempt from others about their weight loss? I get so tired of some friends and family saying the only reason I lost weight is the surgery. They look at me with contempt when I say I'm dieting and exercising. They act like I took the easy way out by surgery. I have a family member who likes to remind me that I'd weigh 400 pounds now if i didn't have the surgery...wth!! I exercise 5 times a week and have been since 4 months post op and I eat fairly healthy nothing too strict but I watch what I eat during week so I can take a break on weekends. I'm slowly losing my last 10 pounds. But I hate people rolling their eyes at me and making snide comments...I know it's their issue and I have to not let it but me but I wish I hadn't said anything to people and just said I was getting gallbladder surgery! Especially now I'm a size 10 on way to an 8 far from my size 22.

I'd say get new friends and family.

Most of the people that have something Negative To say Are Probably overweight and wish the had the guts to do it OR if they are not overweight they liked it better when you were the "fat" friend /family member because that made the feel better about themselves. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND CONTINUE TO SHUT THEM DOWN WITH YOUR NEW SHAPE!!!!

And for those that keep throwing up what you USE TO WEIGH in your face, simply say "That's my past and I don't live there anymore "

#HatersAreGonnaHate

Interesting points thanks for the feedback!! And I agree the surgery saved me I wasn't able to lose weight without it but it's a tool anyone past 1 year post op knows the weight can come back if we don't exercise and watch portions. Obesity is a disease and people need to realize that...it's like being rude to someone cause they have diabetes or heart disease. Part of these diseases are genetic and part are lifestyle just like obesity.

Interesting points thanks for the feedback!! And I agree the surgery saved me I wasn't able to lose weight without it but it's a tool anyone past 1 year post op knows the weight can come back if we don't exercise and watch portions. Obesity is a disease and people need to realize that...it's like being rude to someone cause they have diabetes or heart disease. Part of these diseases are genetic and part are lifestyle just like obesity.

Yet my insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery for anyone at all period! I think that's so ridiculously stupid since so many health problems stem from obesity!!

I might just tell that person to worry about themselves. Don't let anyone make you feel bad period. Yes, the surgery helps us all, but WE have to put the work in. And clearly, you have! I agree with Berry78. Own the fact that you had surgery, tell your relative that it did help you, and that your hard work along with it gave you an amazing outcome. Tell them how happy you are and how great you feel. Nothing drives sour people more crazy than hearing how happy and positive you are. Some people just like to be miserable...don't let them bring you down with them :D

Well, I have friends that don't know I had surgery, and sort of show some contempt anytime they're eating sizeable food portions but I'm having just 2oz of fish and 2 spoons of rice.

Someone once said I'm acting as if I'm the first person to diet..

I don't really care. I can now shop at regular stores and I'm still losing..

You just have to ignore them and keep doing what you're doing.