Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! What was your weight loss at 4 months? I'm down 40 lbs and just feel like it's going slowly and so worried I won't lose anymore or a lot. I know that sounds silly but I'm just nervous about failing/ I know I need to increase my exercising. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated

Hi :)

I am at exactly 4 months. Since the two week pre-op, I have lost 55 pounds, but since the day of surgery, I have lost 43 pounds... so I am right there with you. I have had a few "stalls" along the way where I go a week or even two weeks in a row without losing anything.

Since I lowered my carb intake to under 40 grams per day and pushed my Protein to 90-100 grams per day, I am starting to drop weight again.

Like you, I need to increase the amount of exercise I get... I just can't right now.

I know it's going slow, but I am confident that I will continue to lose weight as long as I stick to the plan, which is what I intend to do.

Try not to compare your weight loss to other's.... you're doing great!

Comparing yourself to other people doesn't help. Everyone has different start weights and biology that is going to affect how they are losing.

It is better to look at how you are eating. Are you tracking all of your food? Are you weighing/measuring all your portions? What are your macros? Protein grams? Carb grams? That is the stuff that is going to determine how fast you are losing weight.

I lost 66 pounds in my first 4 months. I also started with a BMI of 60. If you start with a lower BMI you are going to lose less.

No one in the world is going to think 10 pounds a month is slow weight loss. People are grossly unrealistic about how fast you lose weight post op with WLS.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I lost about 55 pounds in my first 4 months. But everyone is definitely different so try not to compare too much, although I know that is easier said than done. Averaging 10 pounds per month weight loss is outstanding!! Give yourself a huge pat on the back and hang in there. You will get there. Best of luck!

Hey, 40 lbs in 4 months is awesome!! When was the last time you did that? Keep up the great work! Yes, increasing activity level will help as well as tracking, calorie free liquids and sticking with your program.

Hey, 40 lbs in 4 months is awesome!! When was the last time you did that? Keep up the great work! Yes, increasing activity level will help as well as tracking, calorie free liquids and sticking with your program.

That's true...we sometimes lose perspective because we are so focused on losing weight.
Thanks for the reality check.

Hi [emoji4]
I am at exactly 4 months. Since the two week pre-op, I have lost 55 pounds, but since the day of surgery, I have lost 43 pounds... so I am right there with you. I have had a few "stalls" along the way where I go a week or even two weeks in a row without losing anything.
Since I lowered my carb intake to under 40 grams per day and pushed my Protein to 90-100 grams per day, I am starting to drop weight again.
Like you, I need to increase the amount of exercise I get... I just can't right now.
I know it's going slow, but I am confident that I will continue to lose weight as long as I stick to the plan, which is what I intend to do.
Try not to compare your weight loss to other's.... you're doing great!

Thanks so much for responding! I have lost 50 including the 2 week preop diet. I just want this to work so badly it scares me to think it won't. I'm going to lower the my carb intake and increase protein. Maybe that will help. My doc wasn't disappointed at my 3 month follow up but he did say he wish I would have lost more and that by my next visit in 3 months I should have lost 30 lbs or more.

Comparing yourself to other people doesn't help. Everyone has different start weights and biology that is going to affect how they are losing.
It is better to look at how you are eating. Are you tracking all of your food? Are you weighing/measuring all your portions? What are your macros? Protein grams? Carb grams? That is the stuff that is going to determine how fast you are losing weight.
I lost 66 pounds in my first 4 months. I also started with a BMI of 60. If you start with a lower BMI you are going to lose less.
No one in the world is going to think 10 pounds a month is slow weight loss. People are grossly unrealistic about how fast you lose weight post op with WLS.

I appreciate your response! My doc actually made me feel like it should have been more at my 3 month follow up appt. He said losing 40 lbs wasn't bad but would he have wanted me to lose 50 or 60 lbs, yes! So that's why I'm questioning it. My starting weight was 322, current weight 282. Highest was 354, so I have lost 72 lbs total in the last 10 months and 40 of those since surgery in November

My Dr was disappointed. I lost 30.1% but they expected 40% in 3 months. When I got home it really bothered me and I realized my appointment was at 2 1/2 months so I sent them a message reminding them of the fact. I am down 53 lbs at 3 1/2 months, which is greater than 50% at this point. I have a feeling it doesn't matter to the Dr. Its all about their statistics, their numbers. They don't really care what we've lost or what's going on with us as long as it looks good for them. I mentioned my heart rate was 40-50s and BP was 70 & 80s. They said as long as I was getting my fluids I will be fine. Grrr

15 minutes ago, Squirmals said:

My Dr was disappointed. I lost 30.1% but they expected 40% in 3 months. When I got home it really bothered me and I realized my appointment was at 2 1/2 months so I sent them a message reminding them of the fact. I am down 53 lbs at 3 1/2 months, which is greater than 50% at this point. I have a feeling it doesn't matter to the Dr. Its all about their statistics, their numbers. They don't really care what we've lost or what's going on with us as long as it looks good for them. I mentioned my heart rate was 40-50s and BP was 70 & 80s. They said as long as I was getting my fluids I will be fine. Grrr

Are they not concerned abt your bp & heart rate?