Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signs when you're full

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

It seems like the best plan is to use measuring cups for Portion Control, and the scale for calorie counting.

If you use measuring cups all your portions will be off. Weight and volume are not the same thing, not even in your sleeve.

You can overfill a measuring cup and you are overfilling your sleeve.

Anytime accurate measurements are needed, weight is used. This applies to baking and science to name a couple things.

Weight is more accurate than measurements, this is a scientific fact, not a matter of preference.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I guess I don't quite"get it". Let's say according to my meal plan, my sleeve should hold 1/2 cup at 8 weeks post surgery.

I can picture putting 1/4 cup of chicken salad and 1/4 cup cooked green Beans on a plate. I know not to eat more than that, and stop if I feel full before eating it all. If I weigh it out, I can calculate the calories on the plate.

If I eschew the measuring cup, how do I know if I need 2 or 3 ounces of chicken salad (or is it 4 or 5?) How many ounces of green beans?

Another complicating factor is some foods have a low weight to volume ratio. A half cup of cheerios in milk will weigh less than a half cup of grape-nuts in milk.

And, for the record, the videos posted are good at showing why not to use heaping cup measures... but once we are aware of that problem, it is easily fixed. I am sobered by how far off the weight/volumes and therefore calories are.

But ultimately, the surgeons publish anticipated volume measures, not weight necessarily.

Once I measure a nice level 1/4 cup of chicken salad, I will know it weighs x ounces, so that is what to shoot for in the future... right?

7 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

I guess I don't quite"get it". Let's say according to my meal plan, my sleeve should hold 1/2 cup at 8 weeks post surgery.

I can picture putting 1/4 cup of chicken salad and 1/4 cup cooked green Beans on a plate. I know not to eat more than that, and stop if I feel full before eating it all. If I weigh it out, I can calculate the calories on the plate.

If I eschew the measuring cup, how do I know if I need 2 or 3 ounces of chicken salad (or is it 4 or 5?) How many ounces of green Beans?

This is something I struggle to grasp as well. For example, last week I cooked up a sliced chicken breast. When I put 2 pieces on the scale it only came out to around 3 oz. These pieces were still fairly large in my eyes and I knew there was no way I could eat all of that. On the flip side I took some of that chicken and made chicken salad with it. When I eat half a cup of that I am stuffed. If I tried to eat 6 oz by weight of either I know I would be way over what I could safely handle.

I completely understand using the scale, but at this point it hasn't served me well (mind you I'm only 6 weeks out). I've just stuck to using my measuring cup for now. The whole thing of 6 oz of weight vs 6 oz of volume has proven to be more confusing to me that I thought it would be.

On 3/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, Daenerys Targaryen said:

Measured portions are the way to go, especially the first several months. You are not able to really feel when you are full. I am around 7 months out, and my nose starts to run when I am satisfied. But, that doesn't happen 100% of the time, so I still measure my portions.

Khaleesi 😁

I agree...

On 3/7/2017 at 6:48 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

eat a proper portion at every meal.

Do you use a scale, measuring cups, eye it? Thanks

scale. I weigh everthing. mayo, Salad Dressing (even though it is calorie free) and the cream for my coffee. Measuring cups and spoons are not accurate.

I guess we all do things differently and if they work for us, then it's good to go. It seems that people are successful and have got to goal, using both measuring cups and scales. It's wonderful that we can all give opinions here but also good that we all do what we find comfortable for ourselves.

Informed choice rocks :P

On 3/7/2017 at 5:34 PM, Tashagirlxo said:

Hey everyone! I love this app so much, it's really helped me and educated me beyond any research! One thing I haven't stumbled upon yet are "signs that tell you when you're full". I'm about to start my 2 week liquid diet and I was just curious some signs POST OP people have experienced - their body telling them they're full. I would appreciate everyone's feedback!

I hiccup. It's funny, but I'm so serious. When I start to hiccup, I stop eating.

Nose gets a little runny, I notice that I am sighing or taking long breath....sounds weird but it is what it is

Not weird at all. Just gotta know your own signs.