Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your doctor require a pre-op liquid diet?

If so, how long are you to be on it?

What foods are recommended?

What foods are allowed and not allowed?

Is the goal ketosis (liver shrinking)?

I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone else is being directed to do, because my clinic is sending contradictory information. I'm trying to see if what I'm being told is in line with others. It seems a little kooky to me.

Thanks y'all.

Does your doctor require a pre-op liquid diet? - Yes

If so, how long are you to be on it? - 2 weeks prior to surgery

What foods are recommended? - liquids only. We were allowed Protein Drinks (3 a day) and 3 other Protein sources (Healthwise protein products like broth/cream Soups and fruit flavored drink mixes)

What foods are allowed and not allowed? - Were allowed no foods at all

Is the goal ketosis (liver shrinking)? Yes. Weight loss during this time is naturally beneficial, but the number one goal was to shrink the liver.

It's really surprised me at how pre-op diets are all over the place. Some required nothing but doing Clear Liquids the day before surgery, some people the diet for one week, two weeks, or a month, and some were allowed to at least have one small protein rich meal per day. Anyway, the above were the instructions we had to follow and that was the same for everybody in my doc's office.

Does your doctor require a pre-op liquid diet? My surgeon required a 12-week pre-op liquid diet. My dietitian (RD) was pissed off and said she would set him straight and get the diet time reduced. I dunno what occurred but the surgeon won as I expected. :(

If so, how long are you to be on it? 12 weeks.

What foods are recommended? My RD actually put me on a specific diet of Glucerna (6-7 a day), 1 serving of sugar-free Jello, broth, and 3.7L of Water a day, along with allowing a cup of non-starchy veggies (wouldn't even know if there are starchy vegetables)

What foods are allowed and not allowed? Very simple diet.. low carb (incl. sugar), low fat, high Protein diet. I have deviated substantially from the diet my RD wanted me on, sticking to the premise of the diet, having less calories and carbs than even her diet would have got me, and am still dropping weight pretty fast.

My fav cheating foods during pre-op are natural Peanut Butter (low carb, low cal, high protein -- stuff is very watery), unsalted peanuts, and string cheese (0 carbs). I had thought pepperoni was fine but after reading more studies against processed meats during pre-op I decided against it.

No matter what I drink tons of water.. doing my best to be 30+ mins before/after food. Water is very important especially during this kind of diet.

Is the goal ketosis (liver shrinking)? Of course. Two aspects. Advanced liver disease can crack and bleed, causing major artery/vein hemorrhaging that's incredibly difficult to deal with. So improving liver disease and shrinking it is beneficial two-fold. Secondly, large livers or ones with fat on them can make it difficult to move out of the way. The big one is slipping. Fatty livers are more slippery. This diet, when done properly, reduces the fat around it to make the job for the surgeon easier, or in some cases, do-able. I've heard of cases where surgeon went in with laparoscopic tools, saw either too large/fatty of a liver, or too much of a damaged liver, immediately patched them up and said "no". Obviously nobody wants this to happen.

I had others issues that have greatly improved since. My HBA1c has dropped to normal levels.. by my next HBA1c test I likely will be tested without meds as it will drop more than sufficiently (high was 7.9mm/180 on US glucose a year ago, recent test was 5.7mm/180 US glucose after numerous drops), the swelling around my lower legs and feet has resolved almost completely, and liver function tests have gone back to normal after a year of being highly elevated. This combined with the weight loss, as my surgeon said, shows the liver is shrinking well, but most people don't have my problems so..

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

All Dr.'s offices are so different. I am currently on day 2 of a 14 day pre op diet. (Surgery on March 20th). The goal is to shrink my liver. I can only have clear liquids. Jell-o, popsicles, Tomato juice, fruit juices high in potassium, chicken, beef, or vegetable broth, Water, crystal lite, Powerade zero or G2.

I had a two week liquid diet. I was allowed 3 Protein Shakes a day, sugar free (popsicle, pudding, jello), chicken broth, Water, high Protein Greek yogurt, and cream of Soup drained. Was allowed to juice vegetable and fruits to drink.
Each day was 900 calories.
Lost about 20 pounds on the liquid diet.
Surgery was less than 20 minutes long. They said my liver is very shrunk.

HW: 420 (January 2016)
CW: 273 (March 2017)

Instagram: vsg_queendiet

The only time I have to have liquids is 48 hrs before. This last week I had to do i shake in the morning , a sensible lunch and sensible dinner. They suggested lean cuisines or smart ones that didn't contain Pasta or potatoes. This week I do 2 shakes and a sensible dinner. I asked him about a liquid diet but he said it wasn't necessary. I had two friends use the same doctor and they were put on liquid diets but their BMI's were higher than mine...that's the only reason I can think of.

And are you doing one and how are you doing on it?

For folks who are on protein-only or protein-and-veggies-only diets for a while before the surgery, you can manage your symptoms with some of the suggestions on this list: https://www.perfectketo.com/keto-flu/

You don't need to take ketone salts (bleh, Keto bros can be the worst), and you can't very well add extra fat to your diet, but the other tips--hydrate well, have Bone Broth (if allowed), and do what you can to replenish electrolytes (even if it's just drinking sugar-free gatorade or putting a pinch of salt into your water) are good ones. It won't fix everything--you're still starving your body (deliberately), and that's always going to be unpleasant. But it'll take care of some of the nastier side effects.

Also, if you're allowed fruit juice, this isn't you. You're just hungry. :) But stay hydrated anyway.