Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible switch to bypass because of GERD.

Hi all, I've been on the gastric sleeve forum for a few months but now I am coming over here because today I had my EGD and my dr. Said that I may have GERD. He took a biopsy and I will have the results some time this week. If they come back positive I will likely need to change my procedure to the bypass because of the high risk of heartburn associated with the sleeve. I've never really considered the bypass before so now I am all types

of nervous. My main fears are dumping syndrome and losing too much weight and looking sick. I have about 100lbs to lose. I've heard that bypass patients can lose a lot and and some times too much.

Can anyone offer any insight into these two things? I would really appreciate if.

Thanks in advance.

I think as long as u follow the diet and instructions given by ur surgery team-- u will be fine-- I went from Lap Band to mini bypass -- I just had my surgery Feb 23-- already down 19 lbs

If ur dr is saying sleeve is not gonna work for ur medical condition- what is ur other choice?

You're right! I don't have another choice. The Doc knows best. What a stressful process but I guess no one ever said it would be easy. Lol. Thanks for the advice.

I had terrible gerd pre surgery. I was tested for a hiatal hernia during the preop process and the scan did not show any. However when my doc was performing the sleeve surgery he found on and fixed it. I haven't had a problem since, other than occasional light heartburn from trigger foods. Always worth a second opinion from another doc.

I also have had gerd for years. I thought because of it I would end up having RNY, but after finding I have a hiatial hernia and much ducussion with my surgeon he seems to think I will be fine with the sleeve. He thinks in the long run its a better fin for me. Im a low bmi and high blood pressure and sleep apnea.

I had a hiatal hernia but not gerd and had bypass, only had 100lbs to lose. I have never had any issues postop with losing too much. I'm just not tight on the rules either, I eat a little outside the limits to ensure I don't drop too much. But I will say in the 1st yr that I lost eveything in 8 months. No joke. I did have a small of regain but it's life. I'm not unhappy with it. Just take a deep breath and relax. You can do this. If someone like me with cerebral palsy and was overweight can go through bypass and do it all so can you. Have some faith in yourself.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I had a hiatal hernia but not gerd and had bypass, only had 100lbs to lose. I have never had any issues postop with losing too much. I'm just not tight on the rules either, I eat a little outside the limits to ensure I don't drop too much. But I will say in the 1st yr that I lost eveything in 8 months. No joke. I did have a small of regain but it's life. I'm not unhappy with it. Just take a deep breath and relax. You can do this. If someone like me with cerebral palsy and was overweight can go through bypass and do it all so can you. Have some faith in yourself.

Thank you for the perspective. I appreciate it.

You are welcome. It's a lot to process, I'm 2 years out and still learning. I love Bariatric Foodie. Nikki has been a godsend, she keeps it real for us every day people, check her out.

I had the sleeve in 2010, and was revised to RNY on 2/28/17. I was having really bad gastritis and gerd; however since getting RNY I have had 2 episodes of waking up to full on vomiting even though I am still taking a PPI. My surgeon said it sometimes takes the body a little while to stop making gastric juices. My doctor expects me to lose about 40-50 pounds. They have (doc and nut) said weight loss will be slow, and I will probably have to work for it. I have lost 25 pounds so far.

I had a sleeve 5 1/2 years ago because 2/3 of my stomach was up above my diaphragm between my lungs headed for my heart. He had to do a sleeve to get my stomach bachk through without destroying my diaphragm. Therefore, he could not apply the mesh normally put on to prevent another hiatal hernia because I had so many stitches in my diaphragm. So about six months ago I started getting terrible reflux. After a gi endoscopy, my hiatal hernia is back, but not much. But i do have a spot of Barretts on my esophagus but came back negative. I will be having the roux en y gastrojujenstoma on June 3 because he said at this point, this is the only this that will take care of this terrible reflux. I am almost 67. Never had any problems with the sleeve, lost 75 lbs., and have not gained any back.

You are welcome. It's a lot to process, I'm 2 years out and still learning. I love Bariatric Foodie. Nikki has been a godsend, she keeps it real for us every day people, check her out.

Where do I find Bariatric Foodie Nikki? Still new and trying to learn anything I can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Where do I find Bariatric Foodie Nikki? Still new and trying to learn anything I can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

https://www.bariatricfoodie.com

I just had RNY on the 12th, I had VSG 5 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately the VSG does not help control GERD bcuase the part of your aromach that produces acid is still there. My acid had gotten so bad in the last 9 months, it was taking over my body 24 hours a day! My only was RNY to finally get rid of the acid! I am in my fourth week out and have not had any acid, although I do need to take antacid for 60 days post op to prevent ulcers where internal stitches are.