Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody in their 20s having surgery in March/April?

Hello everyone!! I'm new on here and have my planned gastric sleeve op at Kings College on 4th April!!

I am absolutely bricking it!!

How is everyone getting on? I'm scared of being sick all the time, scared I won't drink enough and become ill!! BUT I am trying to be really really positive!

My surgeon has not put me on a pre op diet!

Love to hear from you all

Jade [emoji1325]

Jadey UK

Planned sleeve date 04/04/2017 [emoji173]

Hey Jade

Honestly the day of the surgery I was soooo nervous. I kept thinking is this something I really want to do. Then it happened and I had no choice turning back.

Immediately post op I didn't have any problems with nausea or vomiting. I just didn't feel like eating anything. I didn't wake up feeling like a rose and the first 48 hrs were interesting. BUT by day 2/3 I was happy I made the decision. Now at day 6 and having had some epic weight loss for just one week - I'm loving it.

Keeping up ur Fluid intake is difficult but u just kinda have to be militant about it. And obvs on the first 2 weeks it's liquids only so some of it come from your liquid meals.

You'll get through it and when u see the weight loss you'll be stoked.

Oh thanks everyone it is so good to have people to talk to.

I have been debating it for years and I'm now at a point where I can't actually see any other way.

So glad you both haven't had much sickness!
I'm trying to avoid reading the horror stories!

Couple of questions [emoji4]

Did they make you remove nails acrylics or polish?

When did you have you first number 2!?

How bad was the gas pain?

Did you have to have a catheter after surgery in the hospital?

My surgeon has said he doesn't need me to do a pre op diet as he's going to put my liver in a sling type thing to keep it out the way!

He also said he will give me tablets after surgery not liquid pain relief as I can't even swallow calpol!! Let alone flipping liquid paracetamol!

Thanks so much for your messages [emoji173]

Xx

Jadey UK

3 hours ago, missjrluk said:

I have been debating it for years and I'm now at a point where I can't actually see any other way.

Couple of questions emoji4.png

My surgeon has said he doesn't need me to do a pre op diet as he's going to put my liver in a sling type thing to keep it out the way!

He also said he will give me tablets after surgery not liquid pain relief as I can't even swallow calpol!! Let alone flipping liquid paracetamol!

Thanks so much for your messages emoji173.png

Xx

Jadey UK

Planned sleeve date 04/04/2017 emoji173.png

Definitely stay away from the horror stories! You are going to do great!

Yes, they made sure I had no acrylic nails or polish.

My first #2 was about 5 or 6 days after surgery.

Gas pain for me was the absolute worst. When I was still coming out from anesthesia I remember freaking out and asking if I was having a heart attach and dying. It was pretty painful for the first week but walking walking walking really did help sooth it.

I did have a catheter right after surgery and I'm glad I did because I was in no shape to get up to use the bathroom. However, the nurses had me up and walking the night of surgery around midnight and once I was able to show them I could walk the catheter came out immediately.

Hmmm no pre-op diet? I wish that were the case for me. It was Protein Shakes, broth and Jello for a week before my surgery. As far as swallowing pills after surgery you might want to ask if a liquid option is available. I know with the swelling I had a hard enough time swallowing liquids, so I can't imagine having to swallow a pill.

Even though I am already post-op I love messaging you guys. It may sound odd but it helps me with my recovery and coping with all of the mental challenges knowing that there are others out there who are or will be going through the same thing!

Nyletak and evie82 would anyone be interested in starting a fb group or a WhatsApp group for us all to chat in?

X

Jadey UK

Couple of questions [emoji4]

Thanks so much for your messages [emoji173]

Xx

Jadey UK

Hi Jade

I had to remove my gel polish - it's for the pulse probe that goes on your finger.

For me I didn't even know there was gas pain before the op so it was sooo unexpected for me. I think that made it harder. It lasted 2 days for me. The first night was pretty bad. But it does ease up. Just ask for pain medication and if you can walk around do. I could till day 2. Then all of a sudden I was up and about and doing pretty well all considering.

I didn't have a catheter post op. I'm not sure many people do now.

I chose a surgeon I know personally. He likes a pre op diet but had the choice of either liquid or food. Another surgeon at the same hospital does do any pre op diet. I wouldn't worry too much about it if your surgeon says he does need u to do one. You're pretty lucky.

Honestly you'll be fine.

Nyletak and evie82 would anyone be interested in starting a fb group or a WhatsApp group for us all to chat in?

X

Jadey UK

I'd be up for that. Are you happy to set up a Facebook group?

13 hours ago, missjrluk said:

X

Jadey UK

Planned sleeve date 04/04/2017 emoji173.png

Hey missjrluk, I don't have Facebook but would definitely join a what's app group if you guys are setting one up - so nice to hear about everybody's experiences with this

Btw great question about the nail polish, I was hoping they'd let me keep it on :(

On 3/13/2017 at 7:20 AM, Evie82 said:

Hi
I had my surgery on the 7th March. I'm 34 (that's young right?) and live in London too.

I'm 6 days post op and feeling good.

Happy to answer any questions if you've got any.

Hi Evie82 yes 34 is young lol

Happy 1 week post-op! :142_dancers:

Let's start a WhatsApp......I am not sure how to create a group or else I would add everyone.

Hey everyone, I don't mind setting up a what's app group - message me your number if you'd like me to add you :)