Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

spasms and nasueous

Hi I had surgery three weeks ago...experiencing some not so pleasant things unfortunately...first severe spasms any time i drank anything...that got better and now anything that is not liquid is making me sick..so sick that i actually threw up...anyone else experience any of this...feeling a little depressed...only one i know who this has not gone smoothy for.

3 weeks is still early. Stick to liquids for another 5 days, then try purees. Are you getting your liquids and Protein in?

yes....no longer having the spasms so fluids are not a problem....was on soft foods this week but my stomach does not seem ready...plus i feel like i should be loosing a bit more..guess i'm just anxious since i haven't felt great from the beginning. hopefully this too shall pass. i feel hopeful listening to other peoples success stories

When u say spasms what does it feel like? I have a pain on my right side that hurts bad more so when I move than anything. I was hospitalized for 3 days they found nothing but I'm still concerned with the pain. And the nausea is at night and majority of the morning. It's a BIG transition. I'm barely able to get down my Protein Shake and I'm afraid of a deficiency. Anyone please help. Tia

Same issue here. I'm 4 weeks out and nauseous all the time. Hospitalized for 7 days due to extreme stomach and back pain and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm miserable.

I am too. They keep saying it gets better. I'm ready for better. Jesus. The purees are ok just hard to find a good blend and when u do u have to make so much then so much is wasted bc u can only eat so much. Smh. Catch 22

I'm 3 weeks out and can't get passed full liquids. I've tried thin mashed potatoes, and Soup I can get it down but it just sits in my stomach all day. I burp it up do I know it hadn't passed. On my leak test the contrast was not leaving my stomach and they thought it was due to swelling. Sound familiar? Any ideas?

I am 2 weeks out and the gas is horrendous. I have both gas-x and alka-seltzer and neither touches it. I am having bad reactions to anything fruit and dairy. My food intake is very little. So no shakes, no apple sauce or fruit juices, nothing. I can't even take the Celebrate Calcium plus chewables because they contain milk. My surgeons office tells me to hang in there, it will get better. But when? I am weak, get easily winded when I go for a walk, etc. I am miserable. If I had known my life would be like this after my surgery, I never would have had this done.

Sent from my LG-D851 using BariatricPal mobile app

Same issue here. I'm 4 weeks out and nauseous all the time. Hospitalized for 7 days due to extreme stomach and back pain and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm miserable.

Remember u had surgery ur body changes I was their at one point. that surgery wasn't something that your body is use to so it has to readjust it self to the new change once it adjust you'll see a difference it hard but you will be fine [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, Purseynursey said:

I'm 3 weeks out and can't get passed full liquids. I've tried thin mashed potatoes, and Soup I can get it down but it just sits in my stomach all day. I burp it up do I know it hadn't passed. On my leak test the contrast was not leaving my stomach and they thought it was due to swelling. Sound familiar? Any ideas?

How is this going now?

1 hour ago, KJencius said:

I am 2 weeks out and the gas is horrendous. I have both gas-x and alka-seltzer and neither touches it. I am having bad reactions to anything fruit and dairy. My food intake is very little. So no shakes, no apple sauce or fruit juices, nothing. I can't even take the Celebrate Calcium plus chewables because they contain milk. My surgeons office tells me to hang in there, it will get better. But when? I am weak, get easily winded when I go for a walk, etc. I am miserable. If I had known my life would be like this after my surgery, I never would have had this done.

Please do NOT take alka-seltzer! I heard of a patient that died due to it. The gas bubbles expanded his not-yet-healed stomach and popped some staples!

They do make dairy free Protein powders. Homemade broths can have lots of protein and taste good. Once you are cleared, try thinned refried Beans.

Please do NOT take alka-seltzer! I heard of a patient that died due to it. The gas bubbles expanded his not-yet-healed stomach and popped some staples!
They do make dairy free Protein powders. Homemade broths can have lots of protein and taste good. Once you are cleared, try thinned refried Beans.< br>

Thank you for your response. When I said alka-seltzer, I should have said the heartburn and gas relief chews.
I am on broths and butternut squash Soup. But for the evening meal, no matter what, I get full of gas. But only in the evenings

What time is your last meal? See if you can move it to at least 2 hours before bed. Use the last 2 hours to catch up on your Water (or maybe warm herbal tea).

What time is your last meal? See if you can move it to at least 2 hours before bed. Use the last 2 hours to catch up on your Water (or maybe warm herbal tea).

I have tried that.
I eat nothing in the morning, Soup at lunch and soup for dinner. I usually ate dinner between 5-6. Then moved it back to 4:00pm. Then 3. No better. Inwas told at the doctors office yesterday they are moving me up to foods. I had one scrambled egg with a little provolone shredded in. The reaction to it was someone violent.
Explosive diarrhea, numerous times with horrible cramping all night. So painful I was doubled over. I can't lie down to sleep because the pain is more severe. I was told I could take imodium. I broke one up and took it, with no help. So I took a second. Nothing. I am calling my Doctors office today when they open and telling them I think something is wrong.

You poor thing! Avoid cheese for a while yet. The egg might have been a trigger too. Next time you try egg, make it egg drop Soup.

Since you are getting gas at the evening meal, is what you are eating then different from earlier in the day?

You need to start eating more times a day. Even if the only thing you can stand is broth, you should be drinking a quart of it a day. (Preferably homemade so you can control the sodium).

This is a full time job for you to keep trying things so you can get your nourishment. Keep trying different types of Protein powders and drinks. If all you get is gas, don't let that stop you from eating. Do eat right up until 2 hours before bed.

I'm assuming you had the bypass?