Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aww man im so nervous about this procedure and how it will affect my life. So heres my story for those who care to listen. I have been a big guy my whole life regardless of exercise. My family is majority heavy on both sides, Mom and Dad. However through it all we have been mostly healthy. I myself have been playing football my whole life, of course as a linemen. However after finishing college and missing my shot at the pros im still pretty active. Currently I work in law enforcement but my weight continues to rise. In college my playing weight was 390 pounds. When I graduated I went to a whopping 480 pounds. I then joined weight watchers and dropped 150 pounds so I was sitting at about 357 pounds the smallest id been since high school. After my huge weight loss my wife got pregnant and her cravings through us both off. I began to give in to what she wanted, and snacking when she snacked. I began to bring more junk into the house and now 2 years later and at the age of 28 im back to 480.

Well I've decided to make a change, I have a 2 year old and an 8 year old I need to be here for. At 400 almost 500 pounds that's not gonna happen and I realize that. Therefore I decided that the sleeve is needed. I contacted insurance and they will pay for the process. I have found a location, support groups and classes begin next week. I cant lie I am terrified of the surgery and how it will affect me. Will it make me sick, will I no longer be able to eat something's I enjoy, will the weight come off, and am I making the right decision. I need to lose this weight and I think the sleeve can help me just need some support and answers to questions.

Current weight 480

Goal weight 240

Yes you are making the right decision! It may make you sick for a while but it will be worth it! You will most likely eventually be able to eat almost anything but be careful of the slippery slope. Your kids will thank you! My first grandbaby is 2 months old and I want to be here to see him graduate! [emoji2]

I, like you, had many concerns about the surgery prior to making my decision to have it, but what made my mind up was being put on an insulin pump as well as the 3 pills that I take for diabetes. I'm sure that we will experience some bad days (my surgery is on 3/15/17), but I look at it as those bad days can't be no worse than the bad days we have spent being unhealthy and struggling with our weight. As far as missing out on some of the foods, I am learning new recipes that allow me to enjoy some of my favorite foods, but in a much healthier way. For example I love ice cream, so I found a recipe consisting of 1/4 c almond milk, 1 scoop of vanilla Protein Powder (I use Isopure Protein that is carb and sugar free), and 1/4th of a frozen banana (or any other fruit that you like just freeze it) and simply add all ingredients together in blender and blend. The calories and carbs will depend on the fruit used, but it's a very good ice cream that allows you your protein as well. Don't give up you can do this! This isn't a diet it's a lifestyle change, welcome the challenge of making it enjoyable with great new recipes, fun exercise, and hitting your goal weight. There are some things that I never dreamed would be good such as cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes, but they are really good and low carb as well. So I've decided to give it all that I've got and get thin and healthy. One thing that has motivated me over the past few months of preparing for the surgery has been looking at before and after pics and reading their stories, it's truly inspirational so give it a try. I pray that you're blessed in your journey!

This is the best decision I've ever made. In January 2016 I was 420 pounds. I started my 6 month pre op diet. I lost about 80 pounds and was sleeve on July 11, 2016 at 346 pounds. As of today I'm 273 pounds. I won't lie. It hasn't been easy, but it's been so worth it. Be happy answer any questions you have. Do you have instagram?

It's going to be very difficult post op, as you simply won't have the capacity to eat unless it sit's well in your stomach.

There are natural ways to lose weight. Try a keto/primal lifestyle!

I regret my surgery. The weight loss is not worth not eating out, acid reflux and all the cap that comes the rest of my life

It's going to be very difficult post op, as you simply won't have the capacity to eat unless it sit's well in your stomach.
There are natural ways to lose weight. Try a keto/primal lifestyle!
I regret my surgery. The weight loss is not worth not eating out, acid reflux and all the cap that comes the rest of my life

You can still eat out just got to eat healthy

I had the gastric bypass in June of 2016 and I have no problems eating out. As far as capacity it depends on what you are eating. You will be able to eat a lot more of applesauce than beef for example. For the first few months eating out with others made me self conscious because of how little I would eat. Now that I can eat more, I don't think any one notices my portions. I take a box home and get one or two extra meals out of it which is a bonus.

@AnneEllloit,
I'm sorry that you haven't have a good experience. That being said, please stop being a "Negative Nellie" and trying to discourage people from making a choice that may be what's best for them. Most people will go into this knowing that portions will change. And you can eat out again, as long as your not looking to overindulge.....No one should be eating more than 4oz of Protein at one sitting, but restaurants habitually serve steaks that are at least 6oz......they encourage people to overeat. Any one who has decided on such a drastic lifestyle change (myself included), is saying that they're no longer gonna take what is put in our faces to eat. *Most of us were raised "to clean our plates", so we were conditioned to overeat* I applaud everyone who has decided to eat on their own terms.

@bigsexy28sc - I had the sleeve 2 months ago and while I've had a few bumps in the road, I wouldn't change a thing. I also was doing this to see my 4 year old son grow up because I was on a path that was going to cut my life short. Your life will change, and it will not always be easy. But it gets better with each day as you learn how to eat again, healthily. That in itself is a challenge. There are days that I miss food but watching my transformation in the mirror is incredible. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

@AnneElliot - I'm sorry you have had such a difficult recovery but you need to reevaluate the message you are sending out. You just suggested to this person (that is 240 pounds overweight) to not have surgery because he can't eat out again and he MIGHT get reflux? What about him having a heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, or diabetes down the road???Those kill!! Or maybe him getting fired from his job for not being physically able to do it anymore.

Reflux is bad Anne, but trying to persuade people to not have WLS is absurd. You are not a doctor and you are letting your personal story keep you from offering true support. And your story is not the typical experience, so why not just say that instead of making it seem like the world will end the minute he gets his sleeve?

What's best for people in this group is for you to share your story and be honest. People are scared of surgery and the unknown and they need advice on how to cope with those feelings. You aren't offering that support because it's going against your advice and experience. It's rude and intrusive. Surely you can see how this could potentially be dangerous.

And just FYI, my GERD and reflux were cured since getting my sleeve. Zero issues in that area unless I eat spicy foods.

I wish you the best but this is a WLS board where we are supporting each other through the good and bad. It's not about diverting people away from WLS. I'm sure you could find a board that does that, and if not, create one since you are so passionate. I truly wish you the best and hope with time your symptoms improve.

Well I'm not sure why my message came out all crazy but to bigsexy, I wanted to just wish you the best on your journey and keep us updated!

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, vsg_queendiet said:

I don't Have instagram but you can add me on face book trell wright or snap chat bigsexy27sc