Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you feel when you woke up?

Ok friends this might sound crazy but I'm wondering how you felt when you first woke up after surger? I know if I prepare myself for the worst and it is not as bad it's better for me. My surgery is on Monday. THANKS!

I remember saying over and over that it hurt to breathe. It did! Probably the gas. Then I remember crying quietly, but I can't remember if it was because I felt crappy or because I was being emotional over my first surgery. Then an hour or so later I felt much better and napped. I was walking a few hours later and begging to go home 24 hours later.

When I woke up in the recovery room I was in a lot of pain and I immediately asked for some pain med. They said that they couldn't give me any yet. I remember waiting in recovery awake and hurting for about an hour and then they took me up to my room and my parents were up there waiting and I felt miserable and didn't want to talk to anybody. But about 3 hours later, I felt so much better and my husband and parents were able to sit with me and visit.

I walked later that day, which was good. But lucky me, I never had to deal with the gas pains that so many people say they have after surgery.

Good luck and best wishes and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Edited by mylighthouse

I remember waking up and seeing people around me in recovery room. There were several of us in there. It hurt to breathe and I just remember repeating, Please help me, it hurts. I would knock out and wake up a lot and continued whispering that. One of the times I woke, they were bringing a lady in next to me and she was screaming really loud from pain!! Then I knocked out again and when I woke up again I overheard they had to give get strong meds to knock her out. I continued to tell them I was still in pain but they just told me there was nothing they could give me because it was probably gas pains. Inhaling deep was painful and it's really important to do the breathing exercises with the little apparatus they give you! The pain from breathing finally dissipated by 5th day. Felt as though I had a partial collapsed lung but didn't stop those breathing exercises until pain finally went away!!

My surgery was at 1 done by 3. I was in & out of sleep until like 7pm. I would open my eyes and go back to sleep the pain meds & anesthesia knocked me out good. I would just grunt at people lol

My surgery was at 7:30 am and the first memory I have of after is waking up in my room at around 10:30. The nurse was telling me they were looking for my wife to tell her she could see me. They asked me about pain and I said I was at a 2 or 3. I didn't need pain meds until later that afternoon. I know I was likely in and out of it in recovery but have no memory of any of that.

I remember waking up and seeing people around me in recovery room. There were several of us in there. It hurt to breathe and I just remember repeating, Please help me, it hurts. I would knock out and wake up a lot and continued whispering that. One of the times I woke, they were bringing a lady in next to me and she was screaming really loud from pain!! Then I knocked out again and when I woke up again I overheard they had to give get strong meds to knock her out. I continued to tell them I was still in pain but they just told me there was nothing they could give me because it was probably gas pains. Inhaling deep was painful and it's really important to do the breathing exercises with the little apparatus they give you! The pain from breathing finally dissipated by 5th day. Felt as though I had a partial collapsed lung but didn't stop those breathing exercises until pain finally went away!!

Omg I woke up also screaming please help me, as I was in so much pain too.
3 weeks almost and I'm still not feeling great and not losing much either.
Hope you're OK now
[emoji8] [emoji8]

I woke in a lot of pain and feeling sick. Won't lie...I uttered the "what the hell have I done to myself" line. At the time I didn't realize it, but I was doubly screwed because I was sore from the surgery, but when I took the pain meds that was making me sick. It was an ugly cycle the first day. By the time I was out of recovery and into my room I was feeling better. The first 24 hours were the toughest part.

I woke in a lot of pain and feeling sick. Won't lie...I uttered the "what the hell have I done to myself" line. At the time I didn't realize it, but I was doubly screwed because I was sore from the surgery, but when I took the pain meds that was making me sick. It was an ugly cycle the first day. By the time I was out of recovery and into my room I was feeling better. The first 24 hours were the toughest part.

The sickness was unreal wasn't it.
I said the exact same thing as u. Whilst I don't regret it, I'm not really losing much weight xx

4 minutes ago, Rachel79uk said:

The sickness was unreal wasn't it.
I said the exact same thing as u. Whilst I don't regret it, I'm not really losing much weight emoji24.pngemoji24.pngxx

Apparently I suck at handling anesthesia...lol. I've been under before and had no issues, but this time around it kicked my ass ten times over. I think it was just a combination of everything. Looking back a lot was the gas pain, and I loathe pain meds so those making me nauseous was not helping things at all.

A video is worth a thousand words.

Edited by JerseyJules

Apparently I suck at handling anesthesia...lol. I've been under before and had no issues, but this time around it kicked my ass ten times over. I think it was just a combination of everything. Looking back a lot was the gas pain, and I loathe pain meds so those making me nauseous was not helping things at all.

Same, never had a reaction before until this time!!lol

2 minutes ago, Rachel79uk said:

Same, never had a reaction before until this time!!lol emoji8.png

I had one out of 5 times under where I woke up and threw up all night after my shoulder surgery. Ever since they took precautions and gave me medication prior to prevent it.

I had one out of 5 times under where I woke up and threw up all night after my shoulder surgery. Ever since they took precautions and gave me medication prior to prevent it.

I shall have to remember that for the future. Sorry to hear you react like that too xx

Ditto most comments here. I woke up yelling "Hurts!' over and over. It did hurt and bad, however, I also did this on purpose because I have had surgery so many times before (not just gastric) I have found that in recovery you need to make it known and quickly if you are in pain. There were a couple surgeries where I tried to be a trooper and push through it, but I realized it was much better to ask for help ASAP.

All that said, once they gave me dilaudid, all the pain went away. In addition, I think I only had 3 or so shots of it in the hospital, then they put me on a Tylenol drip which worked pretty darn well.