Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a gastric sleeve done in October 2016 in Tijuana Mexico at Mexico Bariatric Centre. My doctor was Dr Valenzuela. I travelled with my daughter from Calgary. After the operation my leak test was done and recorded on my discharge summary as negative. We left Mexico to go back home flying from San Diego to Seattle. When we were in the air and about 1 hour from Seattle I experience extreme pain that I can only explain as having a heart attack. I was met on the ground by an ambulance and taken to hospital where the doctor found a 6mm hole in my stomach. I was then rushed into emergency for a 4 hour operation and spent 10 days in hospital at a cost of $122,000. After returning to Calgary I checked in with my doctor who sent me for a CT scan where it was discovered that I had an absess on my spleen. I have been unable to go back to work at this time and been bed ridden and house bound other that visits to the doctors and hospital. We contacted the customer service for the company Kristi Morris and her boss Brian. Dr Valenzuela requested the surgical report which we sent by email. I had 1 call from Kristi when I was in the hospital to find out what had happened after the doctor in Seattle had called the clinic in Mexico. Up to now there has been no apology or contact or even concern regarding my health. Just remember once they have you money and you have left the country they couldn't care less about you. My health has suffered a massive setback and financially my family has suffered as well as emotionally.

Oh no! I'm so sorry hon. I know I've read countless stories about people getting sleeved in Mexico and having successful surgeries, but then we don't think anything else, because it's really unheard of--disasters, that is. I'm so very glad and thankful the U.S. docs were able to take care of things for you, unfortunately, it was at a huge cost to your health and finances! But I wonder, is it really the end? That is, you being able to get some kind of answers from the clinic/possibly even some international laws that can help you? Worth a shot to check. I would certainly hope so for you. I pray and hope everything goes well from now on.

Although I'm having my surgery in the states, I thought of plastics out of country for when I'm ready, but maybe I should just stick the costs here. You never know....

Edited by Newme17

Okay I have to take both sides of this, and please don't take it as me being rude.

I truly feel for you, because that is extremely unpleasant, scary, and just the worst nightmare that any of us could imagine. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that and they haven't reached out.

On the flip side, there is always that risk. We all go into it knowing there could be that risk, or even of other complications. It does make me question the validity of the doctor. I do fully agree and am disgusted that they haven't even shown any concern or followed up. Granted there's not a whole lot they can do now, but it's worrisome that they haven't done that to at least show good faith.

Hopefully the doctors you're working with back home are taking good care of you and have a plan to get you back up on your feet and going. I highly recommend writing a review about the doctor and clinic here and other places. One thing's for sure, it'll help others at least be more aware of the doctor and his practices.

3 hours ago, crystalrae said:

So sorry. How is your health now?

Yes my health is finally starting to improve slowly 5 months on. It has been a long road, thank you for asking

I pray for you to regain all your health back and a fair resolution with the clinic. It is a risk anytime you have any procedure done, anywhere, whether in or out of the states. I was approved for WLS and let my approval expire and am in the process of starting the process again for approval with my insurance. So I am not a cash customer at this time. But, I understand that if you have to pay out of pocket, Mexico is a strong consideration. I've seen lots of positive reviews for some of the Mexico doctors and clinics. However, It is good to share your story as a reminder that things like this can happen, no surgery is 100% risk free and mistakes / complications can happen. Thanks for sharing your story. God Bless.

17 hours ago, MissKay said:

On the flip side, there is always that risk. We all go into it knowing there could be that risk, or even of other complications. It does make me question the validity of the doctor. I do fully agree and am disgusted that they haven't even shown any concern or followed up. Granted there's not a whole lot they can do now, but it's worrisome that they haven't done that to at least show good faith.

I agree. The risks are there no matter what. My sleeve was done here in the states but my spleen decided to be a jerk on day #3 and spring a leak. Unfortunately these things can and do happen and it seriously sucks. I truly feel for you. It's terrible when you feel like your care providers don't much feel like providing care.

Glad to hear you are doing better. Best wishes to you and hope your future looks a bit brighter.

I recently had gastric sleeve surgery in August. Long story short I found out I have an abscess on my spleen. For the past month and a half I have been going through probablythe same thing you went through. I am on medical leave from work and have an IV antibiotics. This is painful but also dragging on for a while. What treatment did you go through? Was removal of your spleen offered and how was your recovery? I am really just looking for options or what to expect. I been looking online but from my understanding splenic abscesses are uncommon and not a lot of info offered.

This is horrendous. I am so sorry you have had these complications. Some care in Mexico needs to be greatly improved and in my opinion they release patients too soon from any care. I have read where patients get released the same day and fly home the next. How can that be good medical care?

My physician doesn't allow anything by mouth for 24 hours and after the fluoroscopic swallow test. And you might even stay an additional night.

On 13/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, Sosewsue61 said:

This is horrendous. I am so sorry you have had these complications. Some care in Mexico needs to be greatly improved and in my opinion they release patients too soon from any care. I have read where patients get released the same day and fly home the next. How can that be good medical care?

My physician doesn't allow anything by mouth for 24 hours and after the fluoroscopic swallow test. And you might even stay an additional night.

I agree I think if you go to Mexico you should stay for a week even in a hotel or something. I am so sorry for this lady, what a massive health and financial cost for her. The clinic should make some amends and contact.