Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery Before Goal

I started at 540 pounds and I am now at 315 pounds. I am not at goal (which is 199) but I asked my bariatric surgeon about when people got surgery because my stomach hang really bothers me already. They said I could make a consultation with a plastic surgeon and see when their recommendations were.

I met with the plastic surgeon and he said I have 2 options. He said usually he recommends people to wait until goal BUT mine is so large and has been giving me so many issues with rashes and pain that he would remove the flap after my one year anniversary (Which is May 29th) but that Insurance would only pay for the surgery once and I would most likely need a revision since I still have 100 pounds to lose but I would have to pay out of pocket for that.

Has anyone else gone through this and had to make this decision?

I'm not quite sure what to do. I really want this flap gone because it's causing me so many issues but I don't know what to do.

Also, did anyone else get the surgery and lose their belly button?? He said I would no longer have a belly button. :blink: I'm kind of excited that I get to tell people I was grown in a lab or that I'm an alien though. haha But how does it look?

That is a tough decision. As an aside, you are an absolute rock star for losing 225 pounds so far. I just wanted to point that out.

I started at 540 pounds and I am now at 315 pounds. I am not at goal (which is 199) but I asked my bariatric surgeon about when people got surgery because my stomach hang really bothers me already. They said I could make a consultation with a plastic surgeon and see when their recommendations were.

I met with the plastic surgeon and he said I have 2 options. He said usually he recommends people to wait until goal BUT mine is so large and has been giving me so many issues with rashes and pain that he would remove the flap after my one year anniversary (Which is May 29th) but that Insurance would only pay for the surgery once and I would most likely need a revision since I still have 100 pounds to lose but I would have to pay out of pocket for that.

Has anyone else gone through this and had to make this decision?

I'm not quite sure what to do. I really want this flap gone because it's causing me so many issues but I don't know what to do.

Also, did anyone else get the surgery and lose their belly button?? He said I would no longer have a belly button. :blink: I'm kind of excited that I get to tell people I was grown in a lab or that I'm an alien though. haha But how does it look?

My mil had a surgery for something else and her doc gave her a tt at the same time, since insurance covered it, she also lost her belly button. She just says its one less crevice to keep clean, lol. And it really doesnt look too odd. Congrats on your amazing results and keep it up!! Its a hard choice, but just think if you did it now it may help with your activity level as it would definitely make it easier to move around. There are always savings or financing options later on for the next one. Start saving now and within maybe 2 years when youll be ready for a 2nd one, youll have a good chunk saved up.

Look up Victoria's Secret model Karolina Kurkova. She has no belly button, and she rocks it.

Hi! I'm so glad I saw this as I hope I can offer some insure. So, I had a lap band in 2011. I was 269 when I started the process and eventually got to 147 (2 lb from goal) when I had to have the band removed d/t complications. I had my first TT 2 months later (4 years ago). I still had redundancy, and had a 2nd TT (really a mini TT...a 360 with butt lift) 2 years later and was around 158 when I did that; I had gained 11 lb over a couple of years. All of this to say, even though I was pretty much at goal the first time, my skin was such that I still had to have a revision! I just had the sleeve as I had gained about 28 lb and couldn't get it off, so I was considered a revision. The reality is, my skin elasticity just sucks and may need another revision in a few years despite an INCREDIBLE surgeon, exercise and diet efforts. It was 100% worth it! Do it! You will lose a Belly button the first time because there will be no muscle plication the first go round (it will only be panulectomy from the sounds of your post). The second go round when you are at goal, may be when they can do the new belly button as you will have a full Tummy Tuck with plication, and really, you'll prob be an excellent candidate for a body lift! I'm riddled with scars and stretch marks and it just is what it is. I'm healthier. This sleeve has been way harder of a recovery than any plastic surgery, but I know to maintain my weight I had to do it, because exercise and 1200 cals a day wasn't doing it. Do what you need to do for your body, darlin. I've never regretted any plastic surgery I've done to get rid of skin (and there have been many), and I've paid every one out of pocket! I would do it again in a NY minute. I encourage you to do it!

@Journey4myhealth That is true. I'm leaning towards getting the surgery. I think it definitely would boost my confidence. I wear Spanx now and when I don't wear them I look twice as large. It also gets in the way when I walk/move my legs.

@Suaniya Thank you so much! I'm glad it doesn't look too weird. I was thinking if I do get it (and after the second one) I could always get a tattoo where a belly button is supposed to be! That is also true about financing options, I never really thought of that! Thanks!

@Vinasu Thanks! It doesn't look so bad!

@MrsJP Thank you! I'm so glad you saw this too! I also had a band in the past but had it removed due to complications. I'm so glad I got the sleeve! I'm also glad to hear the recovery isn't as bad as the sleeve!