Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery Before Goal

I started at 540 pounds and I am now at 315 pounds. I am not at goal (which is 199) but I asked my bariatric surgeon about when people got surgery because my stomach hang really bothers me already. They said I could make a consultation with a plastic surgeon and see when their recommendations were.

I met with the plastic surgeon and he said I have 2 options. He said usually he recommends people to wait until goal BUT mine is so large and has been giving me so many issues with rashes and pain that he would remove the flap after my one year anniversary (Which is May 29th) but that Insurance would only pay for the surgery once and I would most likely need a revision since I still have 100 pounds to lose but I would have to pay out of pocket for that.

Has anyone else gone through this and had to make this decision?

I'm not quite sure what to do. I really want this flap gone because it's causing me so many issues but I don't know what to do.

Also, did anyone else get the surgery and lose their belly button?? He said I would no longer have a belly button. :blink: I'm kind of excited that I get to tell people I was grown in a lab or that I'm an alien though. haha But how does it look?

Some surgeons get rid of the flap before weight loss surgery. It makes the person more comfortable and mobile.

I would get rid of the flap and save for a complete Tummy Tuck with muscle tightening after goal is reached. The belly button is discarded with the panniculectomy that the insurance company is paying for. That would happen even if you were at goal. To save the belly button and tighten the muscles, people pay extra for abdominoplasty.

Abdominoplasty is really only a good choice when you are at goal and do not ever intend to lose or gain more than 10 pounds.

Wow

small world - i live in Clay!

i had surgery with Dr. Simon

I was so excited to get surgery, i didn't research as much as i should)

he did a good job (surgery at crouse)

i am happy with results

my fault t i didn' t check around more

don' t get me wrong, he was was good,:mellow:

i would also take care of lap first

it will make you feel fill one million times better

you should wait 2 years after Post Goal (per my dr) before PS

listen to what YOUR dr says

reached GOAL before PS (per my PS)

listen to your PS

you have surgey - long wait but .....

God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry About It!!!

good luck neighbor

kathy

It is you who has to decide if you want to wait but sounds at least two years to have the flap removed. It is you who knows if the flap is going to inhibit your for their journey to better health because of discomfort rashes infection and general psychological health associated with body image and performance. I am not sure your financial constraints plastic surgery does not come cheap - I strongly encourage you to get the opinion 3 to 5 PS it took me longer to interview surgeons then to schedule the surgery. In addition to the bellybutton concerned you may want to consider the pros and cons of being under general Anastasia multiple times and the recovery. To include pain. For me that's a lot of health concerns surrounding extra skin for an extended period. I was at goal and had LBL as self pay. I was was in considerable discomfort because of skin under my bum. It impacted everything I dead from sitting to driving to taking a train or plane. I was uncomfortable and work meetings I was uncomfortable during sex. It was not my front side but my backside and I would not have been comfortable staying like that for two years. I do not wear clothes that are too big for me and Wayn skin that's too big for me is more uncomfortable

My MIL (71years old) had a pan. surgery a couple years ago. She hadn't lost weight, (she was 280lbs) so the flap they removed was 30lbs.

She had complications.
-Partial collapse of both lungs
-Blood clot in a lung
-Sepsis (Staph infection)

She had to spend several weeks in the hospital, and was pretty much out of commission for about 2 months.

Now she WAS much older than you, and everyone is different. But it is really a big surgery, made bigger still by not being at goal weight.

She lost her belly button, and talk about apple shape! She looks like Mike on Monsters Inc. But, she can now wear a swimsuit without her belly dangling out of the bottom, no more sores, and she has a lap. Ultimately it was worth it because she is still here and healthy now.

This is a big decision, but it is you that has to live in your skin ;)

I am still about 30+ pounds from my goal. I have lost 280 pounds. I know the pain rashes etc that you speak of with all the excess skin. I also saw a PS in Jan. He said even though I am not at goal he is willing to do a breast reduction and nipple lift and graft. He felt that the extra 32 pounds I need to lose will not really affect the breasts once they are reduced. That surgery is planned for March 21st if all the medical testing goes well for medical clearance

The Dr did say I needed to be at goal before he would do my tummy, arms and legs. He felt if I had the other surgeries and lost an additional 32 extra pounds I would be very unhappy with how those parts would look. So I guess I will have to wait for the excess skin to be removed from those areas.

If you can afford to have a second surgery I would take the first one now and see what happens when you get to goal.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:51 AM, Dashofpixiedust8 said:

I started at 540 pounds and I am now at 315 pounds. I am not at goal (which is 199) but I asked my bariatric surgeon about when people got surgery because my stomach hang really bothers me already. They said I could make a consultation with a plastic surgeon and see when their recommendations were.

I met with the plastic surgeon and he said I have 2 options. He said usually he recommends people to wait until goal BUT mine is so large and has been giving me so many issues with rashes and pain that he would remove the flap after my one year anniversary (Which is May 29th) but that Insurance would only pay for the surgery once and I would most likely need a revision since I still have 100 pounds to lose but I would have to pay out of pocket for that.

Has anyone else gone through this and had to make this decision?

I'm not quite sure what to do. I really want this flap gone because it's causing me so many issues but I don't know what to do.

Also, did anyone else get the surgery and lose their belly button?? He said I would no longer have a belly button. :blink: I'm kind of excited that I get to tell people I was grown in a lab or that I'm an alien though. haha But how does it look?

I am not in the situation but I would say get it removed. That is extra pounds of skin that could be preventing you from reaching goal. I have a big stomach and it makes doing certain activities difficult now. You will have a belly button, they will just re-position it lol. I mean I really loved the show Kyle XY and when I was told that I may need the skin from my tummy removed, I automatically thought I would be an awesome lab baby just like Kyle.

@Berry78 Those are a lot of complications! That is a scary part of the surgery. It is something to take into consideration. Thank you!

@ssflbelle You have lost an AMAZING amount of weight! I still have about 115 pounds to go. I know if I get it now I will need a second surgery. It is really hard to deal with already. I'm worried if I wait it will really limit the exercises I will be able to do. Good luck with your surgery at the end of March! I look forward to seeing your success story!

@Thejeweledsleeve Yeah, I'm thinking I will get it removed. It is affecting how I walk already. The surgeon told me I will not have a belly button. He said there was really no reason to save it.

@Dashofpixiedust8 Well hell, if we are removing belly buttons? They could take mines too. I would not mind looking like at lab child. I would be soo adorable. lol

On 3/8/2017 at 8:59 AM, Dashofpixiedust8 said:

@ssflbelle You have lost an AMAZING amount of weight! I still have about 115 pounds to go. I know if I get it now I will need a second surgery. It is really hard to deal with already. I'm worried if I wait it will really limit the exercises I will be able to do. Good luck with your surgery at the end of March! I look forward to seeing your success story!

Thanks yep about 88% of my excess body weight is gone. I still have another 37 pounds before I get to my goal. It is getting very hard though for me to keep on losing. I have been maintaining this weight loss for about 6 months now. I would love to get below 200 but exercise is extremely difficult for me because of all the physical issues I am dealing with.

As for my breast surgery it was canceled as I have to have a biopsy done and am waiting for my insurance to approve it.