Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Help - Not restricting

Thank you all for your feedback.. I knew I was not alone in feeling regretful of having done this sleeve to my body.. but as you noted.. it's done so now it's up to me to learn how to live with this new stomach. For those of you out there considering this procedure or any bariatric surgery!.. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.. not that I didn't but I spoke with post surgery individuals taht only focused on the appearance and were not truthful about the underlying depression .. and regrets that came along post surgery. They all said I FEEL GREAT... Had I known !

That is so strange.. I am post 6 weeks and can barely eat 4 bites of anything.. As for drinking water!.. loved Water prior to surgery.. can't stand it now because it taste like lead. Do I get hungry... YES.. but am basically living on oatmeal.. soups.. eggs.. some fruit and Snapple Peach Diet.. I can't tolerate anything else. I am down 47 pds. So I can't imagine what is going on with your sleeve.. but don't get discouraged.... stay focused.

I didn't know we could drink diet Snapple. I'm so tired of water being longing for something else. Tks

Hey all, a little update here. Was very frustrated about not feeling full. Went for an endoscopy and my surgeon determined that my stomach is "dilated" and is about 50% larger than it should be. Apparently this is somewhat common, about 10-15% of Lapland revisions to sleeves experience this. Now I need sleeve-revision surgery. Anyone else experience this? Perhaps three times a charm?

What exactly is dilated stomach .. first time hearing this...

Basically the stomach stretched for one reason or another and since its larger, it's not restricting very well. A little more common than I thought. A lot has to do with the fact that I had a lapband previously.

Good afternoon all,
Prior to reading further, if you are going to judge me and tell me that it's my fault and that I don't have any self control...spare yourself the time typing and just move on.
I had the Gastric Band procedure in August 2013. Did ok but that last year and a half just could not find the "sweet spot" and either it was too restrictive or not restrictive enough. After numerous discussions with my surgeon, we decided that the revision from band to sleeve was the way to go. In June 2016 my Gastric Band was removed, gave my stomach a couple months to recover and in August 2016 I went in for the Gastric Sleeve procedure. I find that there is very little restriction to the amount of food or liquids I can consume. I am absolutely a "stress" eater and many times (most times) I eat whether or not I'm hungry. I was under the impression that since my stomach was going to be 1/8th the original size, that I would have NO CHOICE and be unable to eat when full. That has not happened and I'm very disappointed. I don't know if I unintentionally stretched my stomach or what. Has anyone else have these issues?
Many thanks!

I think that anyone who has not had a band to sleeve revision won't feel what we feel. Alas...you are in luck. I know exactly what you are feeling and seeing and feel that I have adequately navigated through it. I was banded for 6 years. Lost 75 lbs, gained 50, lost 60, gained 10, etc. I had to have a revision because I couldn't eat foods that are good for me because of the restriction. If you are looking for the same feeling of restriction with the band and sleeve, stop now. You won't get it. It is so different. I can drink plenty of fluids, eat all of the slider foods, and anything liquid or soupy that I want without ever reaching that full feeling. I know my satiety depends on what I am eating. If I am doing sugar, carbs, dairy, fruit or anything like that in anything other than really small quantities, I never reach a "full" feeling. I know it is hormonal and blood sugar related. If I eat mainly Protein and veggies with the occasional taste of sugar, I have to force myself to eat. I'm never hungry. I don't know if this helps, but it is my experience and it is a tough road to navigate! You can do this!

Next up....sleeve revision surgery. Hoping that the "third time is a charm."