Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dental problems after RNY???

As time grows closer to my surgery date I like many am getting cold feet. As I research more and more I have been reading about MANY people have teeth breaking, cavities, bone loss and needing to have root canals. Person after person was completly devastated about never being told about this side effect. All are getting or have gotton dentures because it was so bad. Many could not keep up with the dental bills. I would love to hear from some people who have had surgery a numbers of years ago and hear their thoughts.Thanks

That sounds like maybe deficiencies in Calcium or & Vitamin d or both. I have a history of running low on Vitamin D (mind you my surgery is not for a few months) so I have experienced cavities and enamel erosion and it was due to deficiencies. So I increased both Vitamin D and calcium citrate and i am much better. Symptoms improved tremendously. So, thats why its important after the bypass to follow guidelines the nutritionist sets in how much more is needed. Vitamins are very important before bypass and much more important afterwards but also in the correct amount tailored for bypass patients. If you look at the extra Calcium & Vitamin d we need to have to keep us healthy it can give you an idea on how important they are as well as Iron and vitamin B 12.< /p>

CW: 319 SD:May 2017

GW: 128

Wow. That is an interesting article. I will discuss this with my nutritionist and doctor. Always something new to learn about this procedure.

Wow. That is an interesting article. I will discuss this with my nutritionist and doctor. Always something new to learn about this procedure.

BgR72: this is not even the original article that I read when I posted about dental problems. That article was easy 15 people telling their store how they all had issuse after issuse with their tteeth and then had to get dentures. One woman said she was 37. If I can find it again I will post it.

I had RNY done Aug 2014. I'm 63 yrs old and have no problems with my teeth. I have arthritis but that's because of my age. I take 500 mg of Calcium three times a day as per my doctor and all is well.

I had dental problems prior to RNY so I can't say either way, but I was told to take my Vitamins, and better about it now with a pillbox I live with an accept that I have to carry around than one that didn't hold all my pills.< br>
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

No one has complained of dental issues in my WLS program group. One of the nurses in our program had surgery 17 years ago and has never mentioned having issues with her teeth. I think what happens is that many people slack off on their Vitamin/Calcium regimens after a few years or change from Bariatric Vitamins to store brands which are not absorbed very well by bariatric patients. It takes a while for Vitamin deficiencies to show up and by the time they do, you are severely deficient.

No one has complained of dental issues in my WLS program group. One of the nurses in our program had surgery 17 years ago and has never mentioned having issues with her teeth. I think what happens is that many people slack off on their Vitamin/Calcium regimens after a few years or change from Bariatric Vitamins to store brands which are not absorbed very well by bariatric patients. It takes a while for Vitamin deficiencies to show up and by the time they do, you are severely deficient.

That is reassuring. This article( im having touble posting) scard the heck out of me? With person after person telling about issues of their teeth chipping, etc.

I did go back and check out your first link. It's a concern but you have to balance the potential side effects against not doing anything and remaining obese. I would still choose the surgery because I have osteoarthritis in my knees, neck, and back and I was pre-diabetic. I was either going to have 2 knee replacements or WLS. I used to take 3200mg of Ibuprofen a day to be able to walk. Now I take almost no pain medicine - just Tylenol before working out or on a rainy day. My back and neck don't hurt any longer and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I wonder if obese people lose bone density as they lose weight via surgery because our bodies are lighter and no longer need the extra strength in our bones we needed to carry all that weight.

Airstream 88: I will have my second and last consult this friday. Im gonna show the dr. Both articles. I then then will make my decsion. Not sure if you read the research article one that I posted but it say, " Rapid bone loss was occuring despite having normal blood levels of calcui., Vitamin D". So this concludes tgat somrthing else is going on that is causing the rapid loss that is not showing up on the blood work. Best of luck to you. Ill post what the doc says.

I did go back and check out your first link. It's a concern but you have to balance the potential side effects against not doing anything and remaining obese. I would still choose the surgery because I have osteoarthritis in my knees, neck, and back and I was pre-diabetic. I was either going to have 2 knee replacements or WLS. I used to take 3200mg of Ibuprofen a day to be able to walk. Now I take almost no pain medicine - just Tylenol before working out or on a rainy day. My back and neck don't hurt any longer and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I wonder if obese people lose bone density as they lose weight via surgery because our bodies are lighter and no longer need the extra strength in our bones we needed to carry all that weight.

I have the same situation in both my knees. I struggle to walk and have had orthovisc injections. Next step my Dr says is knee replacements. I dont want that for my life. So bypass is the tool that I need to help get this weight off. I made my decision. I dont want to remain obese and I want healthy knees without the stress of excess weight pounding on them.

CW: 319 SD:May 2017
GW: 128

carlychloe2 I am curious to hear how your doctor responds to you showing them these articles. Keep us posted! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am only 19 weeks post op RNY but I have never heard of this. I have never missed one of my support group meetings and have never heard of anyone with this issue. Although I will say the sleeves out number the pouches by about 10 to 1 at the support group.